Edumecate me on NATO cans and spouts?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have several older NATO fuel cans that accompany me on my tours. Somewhere during garage adjustments over COVID I lost my neck/spout.

Every one I seem to order are the wrong size. What exact spout/neck do I need to fit my cans?

IMG_4029.jpg

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Hmmm, which begs the question which kind of can do I then have? ? They fit NATO carriers with cap covers brilliantly. Have I used these for years (without leak nor failure) and been using a knockoff this whole time?

Looks a bit like a large size opening can which resembles the common one but twice the size. Opening on yours is a bit different to the photo below but seems same principle. Then ones in the photo used to be reasonably common with German army. Never seen a spout for them though.
Kanister.JPG

Louisd75

Adventurer
My gut feeling is saying that it's Italian, but I can't back that up.

Edit:
Does the rest of your can look like this?

As for finding a spout... you might have better luck buying a lottery ticket :) If you really want to keep the can, I'd recommend going the super-siphon route. If you really want a spout you'll probably have to either make something yourself or swap out for a Wavian/Valpro can.

Personally, I think it's kind of a cool can but a Wavian/Valpro would probably make more sense.

Last edited:

Worms

All very interesting...but I'm left wondering how the French differentiate between E for Essence and E for Eau! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles