Educate Me on Gas Assist Springs, Lift Assist Springs

I am working on something that I think I want to use some type of gas assist spring to hold it in 2 positions.

Is it possible to hold in 2 positions?

I have attached a rough sketch of what I want to do. The dimensions at this time are not important, that is just the basic concept.

The two vertical parallel black lines are pivoting links. The red line would be the gas spring or whatever. It needs to be held in both the bottom position as well as the up position.

Whatever I use needs to fit within the vertical rectangle area. There are no attachment points available outside that area.

Swing measurements2.jpg

J!m

They are pretty simple.

Spec’d by lift weight, compressed length and extended length.

I don’t know if a 2-position one existing. You may have to fab up a mid-stop to make that work.

jgaz

Adventurer
Check with @jscherb.
In several (I think) places in his trailer thread he has discussed gas strut selection and mounting. One of his descriptions was one of the better explanations I’ve read on the subject if you are starting from scratch.

My limited knowledge of these devices would lead me to agree with the need for a stop mid travel.

Weight is probably not more than 10 pounds. Most important that it stay in the up/horizontal position and then pulled down by hand into the vertical position. When in the vertical position it must stay there until lifted by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke