Edmunds.com compares F150 with 5.0L V8 and 2.7L turbo V6

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2...my-test-27-liter-ecoboost-vs-50-liter-v8.html

Interesting set of comparisons here from Edmunds.com. In mixed driving and highway driving, F150s with the 5.0L V8 and 2.7L Ecoboost V6 delivered very similar fuel economy. The Ecoboost truck showed better results in suburban driving. Too bad there was no towing test included.

The Ecoboost truck consistently delivered less than the EPA estimated fuel economy, while the V8 truck did better than EPA estimated. Maybe small displacement turbo engines are not the panacea the manufacturers are claiming.

grantfurness

All the people I know with the ecoboost complain about the mileage being less than advertised. They like it other than that

p nut

butter
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2...my-test-27-liter-ecoboost-vs-50-liter-v8.html

Interesting set of comparisons here from Edmunds.com. In mixed driving and highway driving, F150s with the 5.0L V8 and 2.7L Ecoboost V6 delivered very similar fuel economy. The Ecoboost truck showed better results in suburban driving. Too bad there was no towing test included.

The Ecoboost truck consistently delivered less than the EPA estimated fuel economy, while the V8 truck did better than EPA estimated. Maybe small displacement turbo engines are not the panacea the manufacturers are claiming.

MPG results depends highly on your ability to stay out of boost. Driving conservatively, I got 24mpg all the time. Thing is, most like boost, and love stomping on the gas. Then complains about mileage. As said before, it's Eco or boost.
_
Doing it over again, I think I would still choose the 2.7. It's been a fantastic engine. MPG is great when out of boost and awesome power towing up some steep grades. Especially at elevation where I live.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I was sold on the 5.0 from day one. Proven record lots of support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWD601

I have the 3.5 ecoboost and in california where our gas is more "eco friendly" i average 14 miles to the gallon. So yeah lower than stated. When I am in flagsaff at elevation, I get 19 to 20 mpg on average. I think a big part of it is the gas and lack of aeration and other additives. That being said if you're purchasing a truck, fuel economy should be one of the last factors. I mean after all it is a truck and not meant for economy driving

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was sold on the 5.0 from day one. Proven record lots of support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah,much simpler too.
My neighbor averages 15 mpg out of his 2wd Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost mixed driving. Stock Michelin pizza cutters. It has been very reliable and the thing scoots. Nice build quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior