Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

dmwhiteman

Observer
The battery usually drops under load, my voltage indicator dropped to the low 12s, high 11s even when the battery showed 12.8 not running. That's the first thing that popped in my head.

If your battery is running low while the fridge is idle, when the compressor kicks on it could be dropping it below 10 and that's what is cutting the fridge off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yroundrdn

Observer
ya the battery is staying charged above 11 so my guess is something in the fridge. I heard back from Edgestar today and they are going to just ship out another and have me return this one. I was shocked at that kind of service but issue is solved.

dmwhiteman

Observer
ya the battery is staying charged above 11 so my guess is something in the fridge. I heard back from Edgestar today and they are going to just ship out another and have me return this one. I was shocked at that kind of service but issue is solved.
You aren't the first I've heard of them doing that. I find that to be great for the price of the fridge vs an ARB or Dometic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikeleung

How did you find it on ebay? Where are the % discounts on ebay? Curious mind want to know bro, pm if you don't mind. Great deal.
I'll probably pull the trigger on costway if I don't get a wynter 65qt. The costway is great price and smaller footprint for my needs. I've seen the costway as a generic no brand as well. Keep us updated on performance. Thx

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
eBay is running there 15% off sale today

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0828/67245.html

kerry

Expedition Leader
Bought a Costway for the truck (Have a Unique Off Grid 60L in the boat which I am very happy with) Been test running it in the house. It appears to cycle predictably every 20 minutes with a 4 degree temperature drop over that 20 minutes. Seems that it happens regardless of ambient temperature which has varied 10-15 degrees while testing. It also followed that same cycling pattern with or without the transit bag which I assumed would provide more insulation. (Smittybilt bag is a perfect fit) It drops 1 degree from the set temperature at 15 minutes and 2 more degrees in the last five minutes and then kicks on. Has anyone monitored the cycle frequency on their Costway? I've got a strange impression that it is cycling on a timer program and not a temperature sensor. Am I nuts or has anyone else noticed this. Our Unique 60l does not cycle so predictably. It doesn't seem normal to me that it would drop only 1 degree in 15 minutes and then 2 more degrees in five minutes. That process seems programmed to me. I have not however, timed the length of the cycles that it runs. Perhaps it is programmed to come on every 20 minutes but also programmed to shut off at the temperature you set which would make the length of time to cool it vary.

Edit: I just timed a cycle at 3:35
Edit: Ran a draw test over a 24 hr period set at 36 degrees with transit bag on. .875 amps per hour.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Received the hinges over the weekend, appears the screw holes are just a little off location for my Edgestar. Going to drill them out just a bit to get the lid to sit down tight again. Anyone else experience this?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I can’t find a source for
The metal handles to save my life have a fm-45. Ambient seems to always be out has anybody else found a reliable source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an ace in own and am reviewing thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I found it easier to take a handle off the frigde and bring it with me to size against the handles they have in the store. It's probably obvious but make sure you get ones with a flange large enough for you to add the couple extra holes.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Anyone have a spare 12v cord for these please PM me. Mine seems to have gone missing and we are doing a 3week journey soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles