Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Thanks, it's the fp630 edgestar. I did take it apart as you said and there seems to be two slots that have the ground symbol. I should have taken a pic but we were leaving. Those two yellow wires are the only ones that are loose.

Rando

Explorer
Thanks, it's the fp630 edgestar. I did take it apart as you said and there seems to be two slots that have the ground symbol. I should have taken a pic but we were leaving. Those two yellow wires are the only ones that are loose.

I am pretty sure those two wires are for the thermistor that measures the temperature for the controller (with the buttons and LED display on the front). They screw into two terminals on the back of the control module. It is non-polarized so it doesn't matter which one is which.

Edit to add: I read that some of the newer versions have a spare thermistor installed under the insulation, so those wires probably aren't supposed to be connected.

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I just bought the Whynter 65 quart model from Home Depot. It's huge. Probably could have gotten by just fine with the 45 quart model, but the 65 fits and didn't cost much more. $513 on sale with free shipping and Home Depot's return policy. I've kept it running in my Motovan for the last two days to see how long it will last with just the one vehicle battery. I have a volt meter in the dash and I was down to 12.1 this morning and it was still running. It's been cold at night so the fridge isn't having to work very hard. I'm curious about the low voltage cutoff others have run into.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I just bought the Whynter 65 quart model from Home Depot. It's huge. Probably could have gotten by just fine with the 45 quart model, but the 65 fits and didn't cost much more. $513 on sale with free shipping and Home Depot's return policy. I've kept it running in my Motovan for the last two days to see how long it will last with just the one vehicle battery. I have a volt meter in the dash and I was down to 12.1 this morning and it was still running. It's been cold at night so the fridge isn't having to work very hard. I'm curious about the low voltage cutoff others have run into.

At the size. Did you get the fridge/freezer combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiddypal

Adventurer

Let me know how it holds up, the reviews on homedepot were not promising so i went with a Dometic-CF50 for about the same price.

Do you know what kind of compressor yours has and the amps it draws?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Let me know how it holds up, the reviews on homedepot were not promising so i went with a Dometic-CF50 for about the same price.

Do you know what kind of compressor yours has and the amps it draws?

I have the 45qt one early last year and still works. I have only used it on two trips but since been plugged in my garage and still working strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCTex

Observer
I have an Edge Star 43 qt AC/DC for sale. It was used only for 2 weeks on a camping trip. It worked great then, and I assume still does. Selling because I just don't need or use it and it's too heavy at my age. I am located near Dallas, if that helps your shipping question. PM me and let's get your "new" portable headed your way in time for Spring camp outs.

Eric3187

Adventurer
So yesterday i picked up a 63qt edge star fridge for free off craigslist, the only tid bit of info i got was that it no longer cools.
It powers on just fine and the transformer fan works, the fan next to the compressor works, the compressor checked out good when checking for continuity, and the display panel functions as it should.
i pulled all the electrical components out and cleaned the inside of all the dog hair and made sure all connections were tight then plugged it all together, same issue, no cooling.

That leads me to believe its low on coolant? would that be a safe assumption? Here is where i get tricked up, ive watched the videos regarding adding R134a but am not sure what type fitting i need on the refrigerant side, or the valve that clamps on and pierces the copper.

IF i am on the right track, could any of you who have done this shed some light on the correct fittings needed?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So yesterday i picked up a 63qt edge star fridge for free off craigslist, the only tid bit of info i got was that it no longer cools.
It powers on just fine and the transformer fan works, the fan next to the compressor works, the compressor checked out good when checking for continuity, and the display panel functions as it should.
i pulled all the electrical components out and cleaned the inside of all the dog hair and made sure all connections were tight then plugged it all together, same issue, no cooling.

That leads me to believe its low on coolant? would that be a safe assumption? Here is where i get tricked up, ive watched the videos regarding adding R134a but am not sure what type fitting i need on the refrigerant side, or the valve that clamps on and pierces the copper.

IF i am on the right track, could any of you who have done this shed some light on the correct fittings needed?

Sealed system so if it's low. It means there is a small leak.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Does anyone keep their fridge in the back of their truck and if so did you buy the edgestar cover? I'm thinking about water and dust proofness and it doesn't look like it helps much.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Does anyone keep their fridge in the back of their truck and if so did you buy the edgestar cover? I'm thinking about water and dust proofness and it doesn't look like it helps much.

My Whynter will be riding in the back of my Tacoma some this summer. I think I am just going to make (or have made) a canvas cover.

afbond03

Adventurer
I bought a 43qt Koldfront recently and it is identical to the 43qt Edgestar except it has a control knob for the temperature instead of an electronic panel. Anyway my question is this, when it is powered off 120v it runs fine no issues, now when I run it in my Jeep off 12v, it is freezing. I have the knob turned to the lowest setting (the same it is at when on 120v). Anybody ran into this issue before or have an idea of what to look at fixing?

JLee

Adventurer
I bought a 43qt Koldfront recently and it is identical to the 43qt Edgestar except it has a control knob for the temperature instead of an electronic panel. Anyway my question is this, when it is powered off 120v it runs fine no issues, now when I run it in my Jeep off 12v, it is freezing. I have the knob turned to the lowest setting (the same it is at when on 120v). Anybody ran into this issue before or have an idea of what to look at fixing?

To clarify, by "lowest setting" you mean fully clockwise or fully counterclockwise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles