Edgar: The adventures and ramblings of a high mileage 1992 Chevy K1500 RCSB

TwinDuro

It's probably dead. It's presence can make it difficult to get the rear brake circuit bled properly! I'd can it...

Good to know and now I’m sure it’s dead, as the “brake” light is on in the dash and occasionally flashes from time to time. I thought it was due to a faulty parking brake switch, but now I know...

I’ll definitely put it in the circular file ?

Interesting about the GMT800 brakes/wheels. I’m planning to keep the larger-size, 3/4-1 ton GMT400 stuff for now as that should work just fine for this rig ?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Actually it’s sort of the other way around...
99-04 pickups (1500 only, 2500/3500 had 4-wheel disc all of GMT-800) had 4-wheel discs, but for 05-06 switched to rear drums and bigger front discs/calipers. The SUV’s kept the rear discs but improved them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC the "small front brake" 800's have bigger rear brakes than the "big front brake" 800's...

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
Ah yes I had forgotten about the flip-flopping between disks & drums of that era! It's funny how GM runs certain parts across 1,000 models and 500 model years and then other parts are tweaked seemingly every other year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TwinDuro

Here’s a photo of my two trucks, the ‘92 K1500 and the ‘54 Chevy 3100 (the truck in my blurry profile photo) thats been in my family since new:

5B18E5E8-42B3-49BF-A152-905584F7487E.jpeg

While the ‘92 is a pretty recent in the family timeline, the ‘54 was bought new by my great grandfather on my Dad’s side at Wes Landers Chevrolet in Stafford, Kansas in 1954. It was his first new truck after WWII. He also bought a new Massey Ferguson 55 tractor the following year. He ordered the 3100 with the 235, SM420 4-speed and factory overload springs.

006A6841-14B5-45DF-95DE-1E5F51AC4355.jpeg

It had the factory bed until 1966, when my (then 17 year old) Dad and his younger brother (My 13 year old uncle) were driving out to help my great grandfather in the field. At this time, the truck didn’t have mirrors or turn signals and as they were driving the laser strait highway, far off in the distance behind them was a semi truck. My Dad asked my uncle to keep an eye out to see how close the semi truck was getting. When they were about to turn into the field off the highway and were slowing down and beginning the turn, my Dad asked my uncle to look back one last time to see how close the truck was... just then, as they were turning, the semi clipped the back corner of the Chevy at around 50mph and spun it around a few times and into the ditch. My great grandfather was out working the field, witnessed all this all happen and cut a bee line on the tractor across his freshly turned field to get to the accident figuring his grandsons were either in bad shape or dead.

Somehow, amazingly, both my Dad and Uncle survived that whole thing without a scratch (otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this now) but the factory bed on the Chevy was mangled into scrap.

After my great grandfather was reassured my dad and uncle were fine, they had to do something about the Chevy, it needed to be put back to work after all! They spent the next day or two welding up the flatbed frame and cutting the wood for the base and sideboards and that’s how it’s been ever since.

It was in continuous use as a farm truck until about 8 years ago and I drove it daily when I spent the summers back in Kansas with my Grandparents and aunt, uncle and cousins near Independence and Neodesha. Here’s a photo of my Grandad with the truck about 20 years ago. He passed away two years ago at 94 and damn, do I miss him. Thankfully I still have my Grammy who’s doing well at 91!

8A648C39-CEF3-4E1D-8FCA-ABE6C10743C1.jpeg

I grew up near Tacoma, WA and while I wasn’t a pure city kid (we lived on a few acres) spending the summers working with my cousin and uncle on their oil and gas leases, fixing broken equipment constantly and learning how to deal with his cattle and screwing around in the off time riding 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and fishing the ponds was a great way to spend summers growing up!

Unfortunately bone cancer got my uncle in his late ‘50s and soon after that my elderly grandparents moved out to Oregon to live with my Aunt. My Grandfather didn’t know what to do with the truck, so we hauled it out behind a Penske truck (which thankfully was a 3500 equipped with a 360hp L96 6.0 and 6L90 which pulled like a freight train and made getting the 14,000lbs CGVW combined over the passes a breeze at 65mph; we even averaged 12mpg for the whole trip back to WA!) with all of their possessions carefully loaded in the back. I made a deal with my granddad and took up the reigns on the ‘54 from there. I feel damn lucky to be able to keep it in the family. To answer the question: “why don’t you tear off that ugly flatbed and put a factory bed back on?” The answer is “Nope, never gonna happen. With the family history tied to it as well as the usefulness of it, it will always be on the truck as it will always be a work truck, even once I shine it up a bit and fix some of the minor rust. If you can’t haul with it, it looses its purpose in life! Also, it's very cool to look at the flat bed and see the welds my great-grandfather made over a half century ago. There's some connection there as I've worked on and off in the welding industry for awhile. ?

08399D89-E01C-4B63-8152-DA266D7BEF5B.jpeg
(Beaumont, Kansas, 2014)

This thread has “rambling” in the title for a reason, hopefully y’all don’t mind a side story or two here and there.

Fun fact science corner, the SM420 in the ‘54 and the NV4500 in the ‘92 have two of the lowest first gears of any American light duty truck manual transmissions ever built at 7.05:1 in the SM and 6.34:1 in the NV. That came in handy for tying a loop around the steering wheel, putting the ‘54 in compound low and throwing hay off the back for the cows by yourself. At idle or with the hand throttle barely pulled out, it’s about 3mph ?

Last edited:

TwinDuro

So, remember the conversation about driveshaft modification for the new 9.5” 14 bolt SF rear axle so I wouldn’t have to use a conversion U-joint? It turns out for this truck that’s null and void. I just climbed under the truck with my digital calipers and measured the cap size on the front and rear universe joints. At both the yoke from the transfer case and at the factory 10 bolt rear axle, all U-joint caps measure around 1.19” and the width measures around 3.63” making them all standard 1350 series U-joints which matches the new axle.

That makes things a bit easier, also reminding me of the old saying “assuming makes an ass-out-of-u-and-me.” ? Not really of course, but I should have measured them first!

TwinDuro

Here’s a look inside the ‘94 Chevy K2500 LD rear diff. Looks pretty good but I haven’t investigated it with a fine tooth comb yet. The truck it came out of had around 140k miles.

B4D8FCC6-6216-47DD-BB72-F7D8C0DAB681.jpeg

With all the rebates from the tire purchase years back, I made a total impulse purchase and got a Chaos Fab diff cover...

299427C9-1799-45A7-8105-59CE865AE806.jpeg

Now, I’m not much for skulls, so that’s going to get removed and the cover painted the same metallic gray as the truck. I’ve also seen the Gale Banks videos and now realize that original style/type diff covers are more efficient in a number of ways... but, since I’ve got it, I’ll run it ?

If I manage to damage or destroy this 1/4” thick steel diff cover I’ll have absolutely deserved it! ?

Last edited:

TwinDuro

is that open or gov-lock?

Open. At the time I was trying to chase down a 4:10 Gov-lock unit (and then grab a matching GT5 4:10 front diff to match) but didn’t have any luck and this one came along for a good deal so I grabbed it.

A traction-adder would be nice though!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I would steer clear of an automatic locker with the manual transmission. A True Track or E-Locker would be my recommendations. I think Eaton has discontinued the 9.5 E-Locker, you'd have to hunt down a used H2 unit. ARB and probably OX also make selective lockers but I'm not a fan of their actuation mechanisms.

TwinDuro

I would steer clear of an automatic locker with the manual transmission. A True Track or E-Locker would be my recommendations. I think Eaton has discontinued the 9.5 E-Locker, you'd have to hunt down a used H2 unit. ARB and probably OX also make selective lockers but I'm not a fan of their actuation mechanisms.

Good to know! I can imagine that the manual transmission combined with the short wheel base rig that’s light in the back would be a bad idea, especially an aggressive one like a Detroit!

I like the eLocker option, especially since I have no plans for onboard air (for an ARB) other then a small portable pump to air tires back up. I’ve had my eye on lower mileage H2 rear axles (most of them won’t part the axles out). Several salvage yards will sell me the whole rear axle for around $400 with lower miles (Around 90k) and I just looked and they still make the service kits for the Eaton e-locker although they are a bit spendy.

I’ve never set up gears before but want to give it a shot. How hard could it be? ?

I know most folks use new R&Ps, but if the gears are in good shape from the donor axle and the parts are compatible, it would be nice to be able to use the H2’s 4.10s with the e-locker... With a GT5 4.10 front diff from the Pick-N-Pull I’d be in business.

I figure that will be a project for next winter though, but it would be good to have my ducks in a row ?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Just had a look at your thread Mr Twin and I love what you have done with your Chevy shortbox. I am curios why you chose a short box truck when you say you use it for work purposes? I could never use anything other than a long box for work as I am a carpenter and sometimes need to haul around 16ft or longer lumber. I guess all our needs are different. Anyways cool truck and thanks for posting up about your rig and your wicked adventures. Cheers, Chilli.. ?

TwinDuro

Just had a look at your thread Mr Twin and I love what you have done with your Chevy shortbox. I am curios why you chose a short box truck when you say you use it for work purposes? I could never use anything other than a long box for work as I am a carpenter and sometimes need to haul around 16ft or longer lumber. I guess all our needs are different. Anyways cool truck and thanks for posting up about your rig and your wicked adventures. Cheers, Chilli.. ?

Thanks @chilliwak much obliged and cheers back to ya! I've enjoyed you're thread over the years and am a fellow Rochester Quadrajet enthusiast! :cool: Just helped a friend rebuild a terrible computer controlled E4ME on his '82 El Camino with a 305. I have a feeling he'll eventually ditch it and the computer controlled HEI for a non-electronic carb and dizzy so we can actually tune it. I hope so anyway.... I did the same thing with a non CCC 2-barrel rochester/large cap HEI on my '85 Celebrity and it made the car run right for the first time in 20 years.

Excellent question about the short box... it boils down to stubbornness and a resistance to change on my part ?. If I did it over, I would have probably sought out a regular cab, long-box K2500/3500. About a year after I bought this truck, a standard cab, long-box '94 K2500 with a 454, NV4500, 14B FF came up for sale locally and I was awfully tempted, but was having too much fun with this truck at the time and didn't have room for two, sadly.

Right about the time when I got this truck, I changed directions in life from many years as a contractor/hazardous waste remediation/maintenance guy (mostly pre 1900s buildings, have some stories to tell there) with a company truck (A long bed Dodge), back to my roots as a motorcycle mechanic and automotive upholsterer. It’s a bit of a story and not really an exciting one. Long story long, I had limited space to park and wanted a full size truck because I was tired of not being able to stack plywood and sheetrock between the wheel wells with a compact truck and wanted 4 wheel drive since no other vehicle in the fleet had it, yet the available space I had to park pushed an extended cab or a long bed into the realm of neighbors getting upset. Seems dumb to me now, but was a problem at the time. These days the shortie K1500 is used to pickup VW Westfailia and camper interiors and vintage motorcycles for full upholstery redos and can pull into right areas in Seattle much easier then a longer rig. Thankfully that worked out for me because it could have been the opposite. ?

The times I do haul long dimensional lumber I hook my bike trailer up and stack the rails. Works pretty good to haul 14ft 2x4s, haven't tried 16 footers yet....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior