Edge protection?

inexplorata

I'm finishing a plywood platform and wrapping it in carpet... it's high enough I'm imagining heavy things dragging off the edge and cutting through the carpet or chipping the wood, sanded-roundish though it is.

What do you all use to protect exposed edges like this? Some kind of c-channel tacked in? What is this kind of product/material called?

jgaz

Adventurer
I’ve used a material like this in the past to dress up and protect some plywood shelves.

You didn’t say what thickness plywood you are using so you might have to order what you need. All HD stores I’ve tried don’t seem to stock every size.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a piece of aluminum angle on the edge of mine, it also serves to hold the two pieces together. Just cut it to size, drill your holes and countersink them then screw together, easy.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I built some sacrificial edges out of MDF. Radius-routed etc. You can see them in this pic, I drag all sorts of heavy rude stuff across them. I made two sets when I built them, just as easy, the second set is waiting for me to really tear these up.

subsmallcompressor.jpg

They're construction is detailed in the 3rd page of my platform / drawers build topic
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...form-for-my-gmt800-suburban-wip.161631/page-3

storagebuild098.jpg
storagebuild102.jpg

Reactions: WVI

jgaz

Adventurer
In keeping with the theme of my blatant copy of the @rayra drawer design, I also used a sacrificial wood piece.
Mine is also used to mount the latch striker and as a stop to help prevent things from sliding back against the rear glass.

PCO6

Adventurer
I've used drywall metal J molding on some plywood and MDF projects. It's easy to cut and bend and usually presses on without the need for fasteners. I think you'll be limited to 1/4" (rare), 1/2" and 5/8" thicknesses though.

rayra

Expedition Leader
In keeping with the theme of my blatant copy of the @rayra drawer design, I also used a sacrificial wood piece.

Heh. And I'm going to steal your baseplate design idea, in return. I just keep putting it off because I have several other wiring projects that involve pulling the interior trim panels out and it's such a hassle I'm putting it off until I can take out EVERYTHING and do 4-5 projects at once. (rear floods in the roof rack footings, rooftop solar wiring integration, aux power switch / feed for the rear AC vent fan, re-re-wiring liftgate LED rope lights, replacement backup camera wiring run, said baseplate, some eyebolt hardpoints for a cargo net behind the 2nd row and a ceiling-mounted fishing pole and radio antenna storage rack)

JPaul

Observer
Heh. And I'm going to steal your baseplate design idea, in return. I just keep putting it off because I have several other wiring projects that involve pulling the interior trim panels out and it's such a hassle I'm putting it off until I can take out EVERYTHING and do 4-5 projects at once. (rear floods in the roof rack footings, rooftop solar wiring integration, aux power switch / feed for the rear AC vent fan, re-re-wiring liftgate LED rope lights, replacement backup camera wiring run, said baseplate, some eyebolt hardpoints for a cargo net behind the 2nd row and a ceiling-mounted fishing pole and radio antenna storage rack)
Totally off topic but your comment about fishing pole and radio antenna storage struck a brain cell and I realized how to store my sand flag in the truck now. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Cool. There's a lot of methods out there. I've seen a lot for fishing rods but have also seen some vehicle ceiling racks used by HAMs for their antenna collections.

just put 'vehicle ceiling rack fishing poles' in a search engine, there's tons of variety. I want to do some in some nice hardwood to match my storage drawer faces. Something like this that holds them high up against the ceiling, higher than my liftgate coaming -

eeb83f6c52630d094e42daa241cce262.jpg

I sized my platform to keep 24"+ of headroom between the coming and platform deck, so I can still stick 24" tall stuff in there, like boxed water heaters, furniture etc. The interior ceiling is ~3" higher inside, over the cargo area / 3rd row seating. So I can tuck a rack up there and not interfere with loading stuff and not have to remove the rack when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online