Econoline Hi Top or Pop Top / Penthouse

Justgosurfin

Getting ahead of myself but my girlfriend keeps asking when we’ll have some more headroom.

For those of you with hi tops, how high does it have to be to have 6’ of headroom? I really like the idea of permanently having space inside, but am also aware of the increased overall height.

Pop tops look appealing for their convertible nature but I see you can’t really insulate it. However they do look super cool.

We don’t do in van living or anything but long weekends and eventually a big cross country trip. Just trying to make up my mind so I can start looking for a top and plan the interior. Really need a fan but don’t wanna take time cutting holes twice.

I’m currently about 9’ with our rack and cargo box. 6” u joint lift and 35” tires.

Interested to hear your opinions!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justgosurfin

I really like the B190 airstream top but w have a regular body not extended...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My van has a Fiberine 24" with optional inner tub. Inside height is 6'2" in the center. I'm 6'4" but as long as I don't stand with military posture, my head doesn't hit anything except the crank on the roof vent.

Justgosurfin

My van has a Fiberine 24" with optional inner tub. Inside height is 6'2" in the center. I'm 6'4" but as long as I don't stand with military posture, my head doesn't hit anything except the crank on the roof vent.

Thanks that’s exactly the info I was after. Any idea what your overall height is?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks that’s exactly the info I was after. Any idea what your overall height is?

Truth to tell, I've owned the thing for a long long time and measured all over the inside...but can't recall ever measuring the outside.

Best I can offer is to try to remember to measure it this weekend.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I just camped in my poptop in 20° F weather. Did it in the driveway to test an idea. I used CHEAP harbor freight moving blankets as insulation. I hung them inside the penthouse walls like double-layer canvas walls. They fit with the top down. Made a BIG difference. I'd say 50% warmer overall AT LEAST.

I think with better material (maybe some good sleeping bags or quilts from a thrift shop) and a legit installation (I used binder clips and masking tape) a 75-100% improvement is easily possible.

Justgosurfin

I just camped in my poptop in 20° F weather. Did it in the driveway to test an idea. I used CHEAP harbor freight moving blankets as insulation. I hung them inside the penthouse walls like double-layer canvas walls. They fit with the top down. Made a BIG difference. I'd say 50% warmer overall AT LEAST.

I think with better material (maybe some good sleeping bags or quilts from a thrift shop) and a legit installation (I used binder clips and masking tape) a 75-100% improvement is easily possible.

Please tell me you have some pics of that set up!

We had 6 sleepless hours of brainstorming screen ideas a couple weeks ago when we thought we were still pre mosquito time here in south Florida. Necessity breeds innovation right?

hurstjd

Adventurer
We have a 1997 Airstream B190 with a 4x4 conversion. From ground to the top of our air conditioner is 10 foot 3 inches. We love the high top. Being able to get up and walk around any time is awesome!

Justgosurfin

We have a 1997 Airstream B190 with a 4x4 conversion. From ground to the top of our air conditioner is 10 foot 3 inches. We love the high top. Being able to get up and walk around any time is awesome!

Ah! thanks so much for your input. I’ve been wondering how tall those are. I’d love to find that style with the front bubble for our regular body van.

Have you noticed any limitations with the extra height?

Justgosurfin

Truth to tell, I've owned the thing for a long long time and measured all over the inside...but can't recall ever measuring the outside.

Best I can offer is to try to remember to measure it this weekend.

Did you ever get a chance to measure your van’s height?

hurstjd

Adventurer
Ah! thanks so much for your input. I’ve been wondering how tall those are. I’d love to find that style with the front bubble for our regular body van.

Have you noticed any limitations with the extra height?

No. No problems. Can't go through drive-thru's. :) But other than that. Not a problem. It can tend to be top heavy, so we beefed up the springs and got new shocks. Big difference.

Justgosurfin

No. No problems. Can't go through drive-thru's. :) But other than that. Not a problem. It can tend to be top heavy, so we beefed up the springs and got new shocks. Big difference.

I think I’m already around 9 with my lift, rack, and cargo box so drive thrus and parking decks are already out of the question haha.

I’ve been very happy with my hellwig front sway bar for stability and will be adding a rear as well sometime soon. I figure it’s on the road way more than off and I can always take end links off pretty easily for more articulation if needed.

Justgosurfin

Do you have a thread with any interior shots of that comfy beast?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles