Eco3 Oil Change

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I bet if you were to send in a sample of your 5k mile oil (assuming it's synthetic) you would be told there is a lot of life left in it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm sure there is lots of life in the oil (though it is incredibly BLACK, much dirtier than any other engine I've used), it's the filter I'm worried about. It's just not worth the risk to me considering the cost and frailty of these Rover engines.

Scott Brady

Founder
I noticed that place too. I like the idea and that they are both trying to reduce oil waste and start a new business. I might try it out.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Rob, don't know what you drive, but as you know in several vehicles you can just change the filter without draining oil.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
You're probably right. I wouldn't do 10k miles on an oil filter on a Land Rover either. We're getting a 2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 from my father in law this summer and I wouldn't do it on that either. My Toyota's-- YES!

I'm sure there is lots of life in the oil (though it is incredibly BLACK, much dirtier than any other engine I've used), it's the filter I'm worried about. It's just not worth the risk to me considering the cost and frailty of these Rover engines.

. I think 10,000km on the break in oil is RETARDED. .

Thank you for the IQ estimate.
I changed my initial breakin oil on my Unimog at 18000 miles/430 hrs. It takes 30.6 qts of (suggested) synthetic. The owner's manual recommends oil changes every 700 hrs. Which is about 24-30000 miles.
Of course in addition to the huge capacity and a filter it also has an oil centrifuge. The non USA models don't have the centrifuge but also don't have EGR. My EGR fell off last summer. The non USA models have an OCI (oil change interval) of 1200 hrs (~40000 miles)!!!! using recommended MB228.5 oil.
PAO synthetics, which include Mobil1/Delvac and Amsoil products, have a markedly increased capacity to safely suspend soot and other contaminants (reference available).

Charlie
Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 MB228.5 ACEA E4/E5

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Obviously that's a completely different situation than what I'm talking about with gasoline engine, non-synthetic oil and a puny filter.

Rob, don't know what you drive, but as you know in several vehicles you can just change the filter without draining oil.

Yeah, I could do that on the Land Rover for sure, don't know about the other vehicles. But with the LR, I just wouldn't do it because the oil is really nasty looking after 5000km. It's got flat tappet cam followers, non-roller rockers, etc... No thanks.

Yes, it's a different situation. But simple integral calculus will show that if an engine leaks or burns enough oil, you never need to drain it and only need to change the filter once in a while.
It asymptotically approaches a mean oil lifetime. I think it's 0.693 X capacity divided by burn rate.

Charlie

Superu

Explorer
I run synthetic in both Subie and Suburban and generally go at least 7500 miles between changes. The Subie sees a lot of highway miles so it often goes closer to the 8-9k mile mark.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yes, it's a different situation. But simple integral calculus will show that if an engine leaks or burns enough oil, you never need to drain it and only need to change the filter once in a while.
It asymptotically approaches a mean oil lifetime. I think it's 0.693 X capacity divided by burn rate.

Charlie

Oh kaay....

When did we start talking about oil leaks?

Just trying to figure out how this factors into discussion about oil change interval differences between consumer gas engines and industrial diesel engines?

Bullseye240

Adventurer

Charlie

See my post #14 for a less educated version of that statment.
Good old GM diesel. If it Isn't leaking oil it's because it doesn't have oil!!
Bonus points for having a formula for it too.:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94