Eco-Boost anyone?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
It seems like the 2.7l EcoBoost would be a great motor for the flex, I wonder why they don't have it as an option. I rented a limited EcoBoost AWD flex for a 3000 mile roadtrip, and it was awesome. Best road trip vehicle I've ever rented by far. I say go for it.

The 2.7 is great as long as you don't use it with much weight. Add a FWC or a trailer and it get the same MPG as the 3.5l. The 3.5 is not anywhere close to overkill, it just happens to haul ***.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I don't have one but knew a guy who towed a 5k trailer most of the time on the interstate full of tools and his mileage plummeted to around 10 or so at 75mph according to him. If empty they seem to get decent mileage but once they have to work and the turbo spools up it really sucks the gas. Is this what you all are seeing?

Our customers get around 14.5 to 16 ish

SGNellett

Adventurer
OK, so I know "they" say you need to run premium with a turbo motor, what has everyone been everyones real world experience? Will 91 octane work? How about 89? Just wondering what the real world experience has been like with these motors..

Jonnyo

Observer
I don't have one but knew a guy who towed a 5k trailer most of the time on the interstate full of tools and his mileage plummeted to around 10 or so at 75mph according to him. If empty they seem to get decent mileage but once they have to work and the turbo spools up it really sucks the gas. Is this what you all are seeing?

Darrell

this will have more to do with shape of trailer than weight. and why does he go 75mph towing!!

i tow a 5k 24 feet airstream with my ecoboost and get 15-19mpg. It s very simple, the ecoboost is a monster of a engine with tons of torque and power but you need to learn how to stay off the boost and it become good on gas.

empty...i can do 22-25mpg easy on a F150 screw short bed.

p nut

butter
this will have more to do with shape of trailer than weight. and why does he go 75mph towing!!

i tow a 5k 24 feet airstream with my ecoboost and get 15-19mpg. It s very simple, the ecoboost is a monster of a engine with tons of torque and power but you need to learn how to stay off the boost and it become good on gas.

I've increased tire size to 33's, so I don't get 24mpg like I used to (on the freeway at ~70). But still does ~22. My lifetime average is 19mpg, which is mostly commuting mileage and some towing.

No one should be surprised if you're boosting all the time, you'll get dismal MPG. That's just common sense. You'd experience the same in a Prius.

Yroundrdn

Observer
I just got a brand new one for work, in a stock F150. I drive like an ***** but still get 17 MPG. I like the way it drives. I'm a V8 fan but I like this 6.

Scoutn79

Adventurer

The point I was making, and looking for confirmation on the Eco-boost, maybe wasn't made that clearly.
Case in point I had a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 long bed standrd cab with the 4.9 that got 16-17mpg in town and 21-22 on the highway unladen. But dropped to about 10-11 when towing my car trailer with a small car on it on the hiway at 65-70 and about 12-13 when towing just the trailer on the highway. These small engines work well when empty but in my experience didn't get the mileage of my old 350 when working because they spent so much time at much higher rpm/under boost. So if you used this small engine to work most of the time how does it compare to the larger inch engines of today?
Yes, shape of the trailer makes a big impact over about 45 mph where aerodynamics start to take affect, and driving style can make a huge impact as well.

Darrell

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm curious to see how the eco boost 3.5's in the Expedition and Expedition EL's perform in the long run.
My concern with some of these super high tech vehicles is that they might work great for the first owner while still under warranty, but what happens when they are on owner no. 5 10 years down the road?
Obviously the manufacturer doesn't really care because the only $$ they ever got were from the first buyer, so they don't really have an incentive to make a vehicle that lasts a long time without needing costly repairs (like what happens when a turbo goes out? I'm thinking a very expensive repair!)
I figure I've got at least 2 good years left on the Burb and then I'll be shopping again - but since I'll be shopping in the used market, I'm interested in seeing if these V6 Eco Boost Expeditions or F150's will last as long as the old stodgy V8 models or if they will become maintenance nightmares.
High tech is great - when it works. When it doesn't it's a PITA and while a twin-turbo V6 might save a lot of gas over a NA V8, any savings in MONEY can disappear with just one costly repair.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm curious to see how the eco boost 3.5's in the Expedition and Expedition EL's perform in the long run.
My concern with some of these super high tech vehicles is that they might work great for the first owner while still under warranty, but what happens when they are on owner no. 5 10 years down the road?
Obviously the manufacturer doesn't really care because the only $$ they ever got were from the first buyer, so they don't really have an incentive to make a vehicle that lasts a long time without needing costly repairs (like what happens when a turbo goes out? I'm thinking a very expensive repair!)
I figure I've got at least 2 good years left on the Burb and then I'll be shopping again - but since I'll be shopping in the used market, I'm interested in seeing if these V6 Eco Boost Expeditions or F150's will last as long as the old stodgy V8 models or if they will become maintenance nightmares.
High tech is great - when it works. When it doesn't it's a PITA and while a twin-turbo V6 might save a lot of gas over a NA V8, any savings in MONEY can disappear with just one costly repair.

I think this is a really valid point. The closer I get to retirement the more I think about this.
The positive side is, by the time they are "that used", folks will know all the issues, and inexpensive resolutions (like running a catch can on DI engines to keep valve issues at bay).
It's only "Hi-Tech" when it's new. 10 years from now it will be Old Hat. :)

p nut

butter
Ecoboost has been out for 7 years now. Plenty going over 300k miles without much repairs. Sure, there are casualties as well, just like any manufacturer, but after addressing some teething issues at first, no significant issues reported.
_
People are so afraid of turbo engines. Yet, they go ga-ga over TURBO diesels, and have no issues shelling out major $ for ones with 200k miles. Well, whatever. Mine's been good for the past 2 yrs. Great MPG when commuting, and pulls my trailer up mountain passes like they're not even back there. The new 10-sp EB should be even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior