echolink NG

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I used it once to communicate with a gentleman in England about a problem I was having with some radio programming software. Worked great. I can't offer any advice as I know little about it and don't even have it loaded on a computer now. That was quite a while ago. Since then VOIP seems to make more sense.

cawddsasf

Explorer
I've got it running. Let me know if you need setup tips. If you get the right ports open, it works well. I'm even on a *slow* wireless network.... and it still seems to do alright.

1leg

Explorer
Steve.
I'm i right in thinking that I can hook up a mic and head phones on the computer, and communicate, I don't need a radio?

Thanks

JD

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I cn finally get broadband where I live, should go live next week, and I plan to try out this echolink, it sounds interesting.

cawddsasf

Explorer
1leg said:
Steve.
I'm i right in thinking that I can hook up a mic and head phones on the computer, and communicate, I don't need a radio?

Thanks

JD

Correct! No radio required. You can even setup the space bar as the PTT key.

MossMan

Adventurer
I set it up on my laptop and it was a piece of cake. It's pretty neat to talk from a computer, through a repeater and out to a radio somewhere. I was gonna try to use it to check into the ExPo hamnets but I haven't learned how to make echolink and IRLP work together yet. I'm told it's doable though.

RoundOut

Explorer
ExPo Ham nets

I tried doing that a couple months ago with no success. I registered with Echolink, but could not find the node that the net was being conducted on. Some IRLP nodes do not allow such connections, and finally I gave up.

If you figure it out, be sure to post up your technique!

SilverBullet

Explorer
I use it a lot to talk to my parents in CA. As for using a node and IRLP, not sure about that (or what that means) but direct links work great. I can help trouble shoot the problem so we can get the net on the Internet.

I talk on repeaters that have the connection.

Azrocks

Adventurer
I'm in the process of getting verified. I need to check to see if it went through. Looks interesting.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Azrocks said:
Well that was quick! I'm all set up and monitored a few links. I do see some echo/irlp sites.

I was researching it too and it sounds like you can use Echolink and IRLP together, but only on repeaters setup for both, but there are very few of them out there. The two technologies are very similar, but it seems that they don't play well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94