EC Bathroom Layout Question

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Actually it's good idea though.....could I not set tent up and transfer cassette or composting from bathroom area to tent?
Not really as the cassette 'seat housing' is inside and the cassette underneath (both are separate and you can't remove together). The composting is probably easier to remove than the cassette but in the end it defeats the purpose of having an indoor toilet. For real privacy concerns the other party can go outside. The other option is an FX which can have a fully enclosed bathroom.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Not really as the cassette 'seat housing' is inside and the cassette underneath (both are separate and you can't remove together). The composting is probably easier to remove than the cassette but in the end it defeats the purpose of having an indoor toilet. For real privacy concerns the other party can go outside. The other option is an FX which can have a fully enclosed bathroom.

Thank you, I just watched the FX video and you explain it well, even ability to have fully enclosed or not, as on owners FX you were showcasing.

BillFitz

In an EC the toilet itself is mounted on a shuttle that allows it to be moved in and out of position electrically. So no, taking it out of the truck is not an option. But at your local sporting goods or Amazon you can buy a $100 casette toilet or buy a CleanWaste folding toilet. The nice thing about the CleanWaste toilet is that you do your business in a disposable bag that you toss in the trash can when you’re done..

ReluctantTraveler

A funny question....but legit.

I have found that most ladies who enjoy camping have to come to grip with this subject a long time ago. An EC’s toilet inside the living space is a thousand times better than a pit toilet, a pubic toilet, or a portable toilet in a tent. But if your traveling companion isn’t yet comfortable with bodily functions in a smallish space like an EC’s house, perhaps you should take an EC or expedition vehicle off your wish list.

Honestly, there is no way around doing your business inside an EC’s house especially when the weather sucks outside, but that being said, consideration goes a long way.

I have no problem with my wife doing her business any time. But she is more refined than I am (but not by much), so I do her a favor and if we’re on the move, I’ll use public toilets for my malodorous business. When we‘re camped, I tend to do my business when she’s asleep. Household bathroom sprays help.

As far as the smell from the cassette when not in use, we use a natural, non-harmful RV odor control in our flush water, and more importantly, empty the cassette every single day. We‘ve become pretty adept at finding dumps, pit toilets, and legal places where the cassette can be emptied, which is one of the cassette’s pluses. People think you’re rolling a small piece of luggage into the freeway rest stop toilet. And if we’re boondocking for a long while in a place where it’s legal and we’re a long way from a water source, we’ll dig a deep hole and dump the contents in there.

And like Howard said, a composting toilet is probably a better option if you can wrap your head around the fact that you’re composting your poo inside the toilet. My bride said “no way”, so we have the cassette.

As you can see, toilet use and science is a mind over matter thing. If you or your partner can’t envision doing your business in the combination bedroom/dining room/living room/kitchen of an expedition vehicle’s house, you should save yourself a lot of grief and go in another direction, or get a new partner.

One more thing, I’ve seen questions on the forum about the side to side sleeping arrangements in an EC and how, in the middle of the night, does someone climb over their partner to go to the head. Again, consideration goes a long way, do your business before you go to bed. In our case my wife sleeps all the way to the rear and if she has a late night nature call, she’s quite nible and can climb over me without waking me up. For that, I am grateful.
I know this is an old post, but what do you use for odor control? I haven’t found one that really does the trick for our cassette toilet yet.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I know this is an old post, but what do you use for odor control? I haven’t found one that really does the trick for our cassette toilet yet.
Fixed cassette odor by installing a composting toilet.

EXPANDED: Had a Natures Head on our first camper. Next one had a cassette. Though, "How bad can it be?" Replaced it with a C-Head.

Still have the C-Head. Still use it. Still no odor.

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
Fixed cassette odor by installing a composting toilet.

EXPANDED: Had a Natures Head on our first camper. Next one had a cassette. Though, "How bad can it be?" Replaced it with a C-Head.

Still have the C-Head. Still use it. Still no odor.
It looks like C-Head has gone out of business. Too bad, had a simple functional design that was compact for tight spaces.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
It looks like C-Head has gone out of business. Too bad, had a simple functional design that was compact for tight spaces.
Rumor has it that Sandy's son did not do a great job with the company.
We actually visited the factory to see if the C-Head would fit out tiny bath. It did and had the great advantage over the Nature's Head that you could lift the bucket out without needing a cover - it fit through the doors.

This may be an alternative, but I am a great believer in stirring and venting. https://mytrelino.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94