eatSleepWoof's 2016 Tacoma DCLB

Got my OZ Tent RV4 today, along with a double cot and an Exped Magamat Duo LW + cozy sheet. The RV4 fits perfectly - diagonally - under the AluCab. In fact, there are an easy 4-5 inches of room to spare. Awesome news - means I can carry the tent inside the canopy and out of the elements!

Easily secured with a pair of eye-hook rings from FrontRunner (mounted into the canopy's interior roof channels) and a pair of FrontRunner stratchits (which are awesome!).

I’ve checked an AluCab on a 2nd gen but never seen one on a 3rd gen. When you have a chance, can you show and/or describe how the rear window overlaps the curved tailgate? Or does it just seal on the top surface?
The rear window's bottom flap, the one that covers the tailgate, is composed of three pieces of metal that simulate the curve of the tailgate. There are also two gaskets that stack together to form a very tight seal. The second gasket is a new AluCab addition. I'll take some photos when I get a chance.

Is it a new addition? I have two gaskets. In standard one up front bulb seal or whatever it’s called and a more rigid flap behind that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a new addition? I have two gaskets. In standard one up front bulb seal or whatever it’s called and a more rigid flap behind that.
Sounds like we have the same dual gasket design. I was told the second, "flap" gasket was new. It was definitely not present on their showroom 3rd gen Tacoma.

Last edited:
Apparently my tracks not eh roof are the same, Odd, I can fit an m8 bolt in there and it doesn't spin though. Hmm. It does wiggle about though.

Two tacos in Death Valley.

All I’m gonna say is it was a great trip, minus that one day. What a doozy! (Giant mess in truck, don’t listen to strangers for spotting and canadian winter gas, I learned has 10-15% butane,which at 45 degrees celsius boils off quickly, think coke with mentos, when you open the jerry can and let it sit for a min, while grabbing the siphon). :(

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a few updates:
1. aaen and I went on a wicked trip to Death Valley and Mojave.
2. I decided that I didn't like my drawer system and disassembled it upon returning home.
3. I installed 34x10.5 KO2s.
4. I got a Decked drawer system.

The KO2s:

These went on without any issues. No rubbing (caster at 3.7) so far. Superbly comfortable at 40psi (still need to do the chalk test), but a little smaller than expected (measured at 32.5" diameter).

The Decked drawer system:

Installed without any issues, and works perfectly with the full BedRug liner (Decked's site says it won't fit, but it does). Decked provides fantastic installation instructions.

Since the system almost completely covers the bed cubbies, I removed all my fuse boxes from both cubbies and sealed all cubby holes, including factory ones that allow you to use the cubby doors. Tired of dust ingress through all those entry points.

I left a flat-head extension hose in the OEM inverter, so that it can still be used with the Decked system in place. This idea was courtesy of a nice tip in the installation instructions.

I also drilled out the OEM bed-drain hole to a considerably larger size (roughly 1 1/4" diameter) and installed a firewall boot/gasket in there. I will use this to run wiring into the bed (which previously went into the cubbies). This will require drilling a single hole through the Decked's floor, which I haven't done yet.

I'm going to run the main 2 gauge wiring for the two fuse boxes, as well as extra wiring for any future needs through the gasket, and then seal it completely. If I ever decide to "un-do" the hole, it will be very simple to fill it with epoxy (and mixing in a little black paint will help with the look, too).

Same gasket/hole from the inside of the bed:

And this Dewalt tool case is where the electrical goodies will go. This was a temporary mock-up mount. I've yet to drill holes in the case and mount it properly. The case opens easily for convenient access, will protect the electronics from any physical harm, and is compact enough to not take up much room. Not sure where to mount my inverter, but I'll figure something out.

jgaz

Adventurer
You had done such a nice job on your DIY drawer module. What made you decide to scrap it for the Decked system?
I like the usage of the DeWalt tool case for your electrical box.

This has been an interesting build for sure. Thanks for documenting everything

Wee bit jealous on the 34X10.5 BFG's, my cooper STT pros are driving me a bit nuts with the noise they are giving off on the truck when driving on the hwy. Fantastic hookup when off road, but getting to the trails and around town for work is what is driving me nuts. I'll be following suit on the tyre choice here by the end of the summer as these only have about 10-20k km's left on them, that should put them out the door at about 50-60k kms.

Great idea on the gasket for the decked system. I like your idea of feeding it through the bed floor, instead of what i did and went through the metal on drivers side on the back of the truck. ah well, I figure i have another couple of years out of the truck, then I will buy a new one and transfer everything over to the new one and start again.

Next trip in the interior is going to involve a lot more down time and relaxing by some mountain lake with the pooches

You had done such a nice job on your DIY drawer module. What made you decide to scrap it for the Decked system?
Many, many small imperfections in my own work. The idea of keeping individual units modular was nice in theory, but a huge pain in practice. It just didn't turn out as well as I had envisioned. I'm quite confident that given a proper place to work (ie. not living room in a condo building) I could make a nicer product, but for the time being I'm reasonably happy with the Decked unit.

Speaking of which, my biggest gripe with the whole system is how much stuff you have to assemble. A good chunk of this system could have come pre-assembled without taking up any "extra" room in transport. I just picked up their D-box for inner storage and even that damn thing required assembly! Had to put together the hinge, the two handles, and then the two latches. It's a regular case for crying out loud... c'mon, Decked! Another gripe is that the dividers are borderline useless - they are way, way too lose in the drawer, and need to be not only larger, but with a mechanism for "clipping in." As it stands, I'm pretty sure my cargo will bounce them out of their spots in no time.

Some goodies recently arrived from the fine folks @ OK4WD!

First up is the Large-sized, titling fridge slide:

I mounted through the top of the Decked system with 6 stainless, button-head bolts. (Four bolts came with the slide, the other two I had on hand.) Very sturdy setup, and works great.

I tucked the slide fairly close to the edge of the bed so as to maximize room on the other side. This meant partially covering the passenger side storage cubby, so I removed the cubby's lid prior to installation. I can still reach into the cubby without a problem. Figured this was the best compromise.

Fridge tilts down nicely and rests on the tailgate.

And I also installed four load bars, which I'm also fairly happy with. One disappointing aspect of these loads bars is that there are no access holes to just let you slide a bolt head in. The bolt has to be slid in from one of the two sides, which means that if you want to slide bolts into the bottom track (as I will be doing soon), the load bar's foot has to be removed.

Another small, but disappointing note is that despite being well packaged, every single component (every foot, every load bar, and the parts making up the fridge slide) arrived with damaged powdercoat (just as my canopy did). It seems that the folks at AluCab have no idea how to powdercoat things properly. There looks to be no primer, and possibly no sandblasting having been done, in addition to a very thin powdercoat application (except in the cases of the canopy's interior tracks, which actually have too much powdercoat that causes problems when trying to slide a bolt head in). Ah well, minor cosmetic defects aren't a big deal in this case. Overall I'm very happy with the products.

Next up:
- figuring out how to make my FrontRunner table mount (& lock) work underneath these load bars
- possibly moving the MaxTrax out of the interior and onto the load bars
- mounting the awning again
- building a small, roof-mounted storage tray above the fridge (to transport the stove)
- revamp of the water tank system
- relocation of the propane tank and hose extension/modification

Kpack

Adventurer
Love that Alu-Cab topper. Also agree that moving the MaxTrax outside might be the best in the long run. If they get muddy and gross, it'd be better to have them out and not in. But then you also need to consider thieves....

Love that Alu-Cab topper. Also agree that moving the MaxTrax outside might be the best in the long run. If they get muddy and gross, it'd be better to have them out and not in. But then you also need to consider thieves....
Carrying MaxTrax is something I've always struggled with. Having them inside brings up the dirt problem. Carrying them in a bag introduces extra headache. Carrying them outside introduces the headaches of bolting them down, securing them from theft, attracting unnecessary attention, and increasing vehicle height.

The ideal solution would be a container into which the MaxTrax can simply be "slid," and having that container mounted somewhere out of the way, either underneath the roof rack/bars, or inside. Dissent Offroad has something similar to this for their bed rack, but I've yet to find a standalone solution.