Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Wallygator

Adventurer
Not gonna lie, I am missing the full-size life right now. Fighting the urge to pick up another Ram or Super Duty at the moment, the misses is going to kill me lol.

I hear ya, I'm waiting a few years before even looking for anything new. I used to buy new vehicles all the time and realized after many many vehicles I'm shooting myself in the foot financially. Very hard headed I guess but it sure was fun. However...I am Excited about the Godzilla motor coming out for the Ford. Will see how that motor fairs out the next couple of years. Could be the vehicle that could be my last.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I hear ya, I'm waiting a few years before even looking for anything new. I used to buy new vehicles all the time and realized after many many vehicles I'm shooting myself in the foot financially. Very hard headed I guess but it sure was fun. However...I am Excited about the Godzilla motor coming out for the Ford. Will see how that motor fairs out the next couple of years. Could be the vehicle that could be my last.
Now if they come out with that engine in a Power Wagon competitor.....

Agreed, the Hi-Boy (lockers, winch, etc.) with the new 7.3 gasser and 10 speed auto would be a beast. We've talked about it and the lady friend misses the full-size as well. We like things about both the Ram and the Ford. There are new Power Wagons at dealers locally already and Super Duty's are a dime a dozen so picking one up wouldn't be an issue, just have to decide what it is we want more. The new Power Wagon is quite the step up in the tech department with the revised interior and new headlights and the 8-speed should increase the fuel economy to some degree, that said $60K+ for a gasser is a lot scratch. Part of me says just get another diesel Super Duty and call it day. Build the LX for expeditions and enjoy. I hate how I am never content with my vehicles lol.

Grump E-Vet

The question is, is a gasser 3/4-ton worth $60K+, I don't think so.

Check some prices on the interwebs right now you can get a new loaded “old-design” 2018 PW for $40-45K do you really need another 2 gears in the tranny an extra 100-something lbs of payload and towing and the chance to pay another $2K for a ginormous touch screen in the center console?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Check some prices on the interwebs right now you can get a new loaded “old-design” 2018 PW for $40-45K do you really need another 2 gears in the tranny an extra 100-something lbs of payload and towing and the chance to pay another $2K for a ginormous touch screen in the center console?

I won't buy the same exact truck again lol. That said, my dad is picking up a loaded out Tan one in the morning for a deal. My inner want is still waiting on the Bronco as well.

SoTxAg06

I won't buy the same exact truck again lol. That said, my dad is picking up a loaded out Tan one in the morning for a deal. My inner want is still waiting on the Bronco as well.

I’m curious about the new broncos also.

Honestly, I would go with a 3500 or 350 if you’re planning a camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My pops picked one up today, he's pretty stoked to start modding it.

sGVYBHF.jpg

Wallygator

Adventurer
The question is, is a gasser 3/4-ton worth $60K+, I don't think so.

I don't think it is either. I would get a base XL with wall to wall vinyl and all the good drive train bits and build from there. I like simple and reliable and could care less about all the other bs. Probably why I like my 4Runner so much:D

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't think it is either. I would get a base XL with wall to wall vinyl and all the good drive train bits and build from there. I like simple and reliable and could care less about all the other bs. Probably why I like my 4Runner so much:D

I too appreciate the simplicity of the 4Runner. It's nice knowing that it's simple and reliable, yet at the same time it's 'boringly' reliable, it's somewhat of a double-edged sword. My love affair with the 5th Gen is solely dependent upon which side of the bed I wake up on lol. I am only two years away from paying it off so I am tempted to keep it and continue to build it out into a nice little trail rig, but I can't help but focus on the nagging feeling that I should be putting that effort back into a truck or even a second 200 series Cruiser. I should see a shrink about my indecisiveness lol.

Last edited:

DirtRoads

Observer

I've thought a lot about that exact thing. My realization is that there isn't much more tech in the middle-end models vs the base models, the interface is just different. IMO, they are subject to the same incredibly expensive fixes for the most part. At least close enough to not worry about it too much.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've thought a lot about that exact thing. My realization is that there isn't much more tech in the middle-end models vs the base models, the interface is just different. IMO, they are subject to the same incredibly expensive fixes for the most part. At least close enough to not worry about it too much.
I've found the same thing. And while I don't need heated leather, sunroofs, push button start, BLIS, LED this and that and all that jazz, I still like to have power windows, locks, seat, bluetooth.

Mid level Ford XLT's, Ram SLT's, GMC SLE's & Toyota SR5's seems to be a good fit for me.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
All I need is A/C and a decent radio, power windows and doors are nice. Everything else is fluff and expensive to fix. My wife wants a new car and there is so much technocrap on the new ones that there is nothing I'm excited about buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles