Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You should look into a Topper EZ lift. You can add a tent liner if you want as shown below and lift the top to load larger items and then lower it back down once the load is strapped down.

1a45a0338ea8ed42f935c596a0fed04a.jpg

fa5163b30c89684a370d3d7cebf55ea1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are cool in theory, but my buddy had one for a short while and neither of us were fans.

Austo

Observer
I am not sure what all is entailed in getting the system to work with the trucks software, but it's pretty simple in physical design. It comes with a fuse relay box that has a positive wire and a harness that runs to the original switch area in the center stack. You plug the original connection into the harness and then it has a pig tail that then plugs into the panel. You have to run a ground for each item that you power but that's easy.

The owner of 4th Gen Ram Electronics was super helpful in answering my questions and getting my order to me in a timely manner. I am not sure what kind of sorcery he performs to make these work, but apparently he knows something that the factory doesn't or doesn't want to provide a solution for, because the dealer will tell you that they can't be added after the fact. The price was a drop in the bucket when compared to sPOD and the Switch Pros 9100.

I'm all about sorcery, this will be way better than the AEV stack I have in my garage.... Topper looks great!

blackdmax15

Observer
Really curious of what you think about the AT Habitat. I am on the fence of getting a topper and RTT or the Habitat. I have 3 kids and a wife so I would be interested in how many you think you could sleep comfortably in the habitat.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Really curious of what you think about the AT Habitat. I am on the fence of getting a topper and RTT or the Habitat. I have 3 kids and a wife so I would be interested in how many you think you could sleep comfortably in the habitat.

At this point I have only gotten it home and played with it in the front yard. My observations thus far are that it is extremely well built and rugged. I have a SnugTop Super Sport that is normally on this truck and while I love the look and utility of it (also saw improved fuel efficiency) I can't get past how fragile it is in comparison due to its fiberglass construction. This is where the AT Habitat/Summit leave it in the dust with their aluminum and steel construction (the same could be said for the Alu-Cab and GFC canopies/campers as well). I know users here have reported mounting racks to the top of the non-reinforced fiberglass toppers, but I can't help but be concerned that it won't hold up over time with that kind of non-suggested use and added weight.

Even though there is only roughly a 80-100lb difference in the weight between the SnugTop (250lbs) vs. the AT Habitat (340lbs), I can definitely tell a difference in how they feel on the truck. The AT carries its weight higher up with the extension over the cab and therefor it catches a lot more wind/drag than the super streamlined Super Sport. I drove the same 65 mile route/speeds up and back yesterday to pick up the AT and on the way there with the SnugTop I saw 2 mpg's better fuel efficiency than I did on the trip back with the AT. The one caveat there is that I was driving into a decent headwind on the way home so those numbers may be a bit skewed.

It took me about 10 minutes to close up all of the windows and put it away yesterday, not bad, but not really any better than your standard RTT either. I think my tear down time will improve as I get more accustom to the nuances of how it collapses. If I don't have all of the windows to close and bedding to put away I think the top can easily be put away in under 5 minutes. At this moment in time I feel like one could label the Habitat/Summit as an overbuilt, exceptionally well made camper shell with built in RTT. For all intents and purposes it is nothing more than my current SnugTop Super Sport with a traditional RTT on top which can be done for a lot less money. That said, one can't stand up in a traditional RTT or have direct access to items in their bed and even the interior of the truck (through the rear slider windows) in a traditional RTT, nor does one get 94" of standing room (when standing in the bed), a built in roof rack and a 94x53" built in metal awning with a traditional RTT either.

The opportunities it represents are vast because there's no limit to what you can do when you build out your bed as well to compliment the Habitat. Now this might not be an option for those that still need their bed space to do truck stuff, but for those that don't, you can get carried away with any number of custom build outs or you can go wild with the numerous options made specifically for it from Goose Gear.

I'll get back to you in regards to how many it can sleep comfortably, but after crawling around in it yesterday I can see absolutely no issue with your family fitting comfortably up there especially if you add the Goose Gear sleeping platforms.

Pics from inside with windows closed and open:

UzOTIHN.jpg

XI1pme3.jpg

Very cool! I can’t wait to see it in action! Awesome set up.

Yea we are excited to give it a try this weekend when we retrace the Texas Hill Country route that Chris Cordes posted up last year. If I can find some time later this afternoon I might run it down the beach for a few miles and set it up surf side for a bit.

Last edited:

ohanacrusader

Adventurer

The Habitat is awesome for families, my wife, two kids and I spent forty days straight sleeping in the Habitat this pass summer on our trip to Tuktoyaktuk in the arctic circle. It gives everyone there own sleep platform and a couple times had to cook and eat inside due to bad weather or the because the local mosquito's were to friendly that day. If you want more information feel free to PM me.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I just wish they would swap back to the forward flip. That way you could have awning space plus all the inside space of the habitat. It also takes up less footprint that way sans awning.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I just wish they would swap back to the forward flip. That way you could have awning space plus all the inside space of the habitat. It also takes up less footprint that way sans awning.

I hear you, they both have their pros and cons. I wasn't a fan of the supports on the original Flippac and a lot of people didn't like that it would interfere with roof mounted racks/antennas/lights etc. The original forward flip did distribute the weight/load better over the chassis of the vehicle which is nice.

I like that the rear flip gives you a built in rear awning much superior to any fabric awning albeit a little narrower than most. I also like that you can leave low profile and lighter weight items mounted to the roof with the rear flip. You would still need to remove any large and/or heavy items before deploying the Habitat but the same can probably be said for the wedge style Summit as well. There's no arguing the superior height, space, and ventilation that the Habitat provides over the Summit and other wedge style canopy systems as well which is appealing in every way.

I do worry about the hinging action on the fabric over time and there's certainly a lot of fabric up there to dry out when wet. I have yet to over night in it but that is coming this weekend and with temps in the high 30's at night it should be a good test of how it sleeps.

chet6.7

Explorer
With a forward flip I could use the passenger car area at interstate rest stops,the backward flip looks like I would have to be with the RV folks running their generators most of the night,it's often close to the trucks as well.

Looking forward to your thoughts after you get to overnight in it.(y)

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
How is ingress and egress into and out of the camper? Climbing in over the tailgate and under the hatch, closing/opening the tailgate from the inside, etc. I love the habitat, especially on a full size, and think there is a lot more usefulness than a roof top tent in the fact that you can stand in the bed for changing clothes and usable space in inclement weather, but it and all of the wedge style campers recently to market seem to be screaming for the tailgate to be removed and a set of barn doors added. I have not seen the habitat in person and would love to find one close by to climb around in. But it looks great on the Power Wagon!!!

chet6.7

Explorer
Barn doors and completely dry are my requirements,I would also like straight sides for the extra room.
I would have slept in it in the driveway,maybe Tex68w did the same last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles