Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Grassland

Are things cheaper in Texas?
The F250 and Power Wagon alone, new, where I am in central Canada are a combined value of about $120,000 not including your modifications.
That being said, its nice to see the Ram getting built up. Many of the common overland vehicles are lacking factory payload, and its easy to load up for long trips. What does the empty weight of the Power Wagon sit at now with your current mods?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Are things cheaper in Texas?
The F250 and Power Wagon alone, new, where I am in central Canada are a combined value of about $120,000 not including your modifications.
That being said, its nice to see the Ram getting built up. Many of the common overland vehicles are lacking factory payload, and its easy to load up for long trips. What does the empty weight of the Power Wagon sit at now with your current mods?

I'd expect domestic vehicles to be more expensive in Canada. Window sticker on my new 2018 Power Wagon was $57K (middle of road trim) and some change, I paid $47K and some change with a flat $9999 off of sticker, it was a rare situation on that model so I jumped on it. My Alumiduty was a new 2017 F-250 King Ranch loaded, it had a sticker of $74,303 and I paid $63,497 so roughy $10,800 off of sticker. In regards to things being cheaper down here, well I don't know to be honest, but I will say that truck sales are extremely competitive and one in every five trucks is sold in this state so I'd be willing to bet that we have some of the best prices and certainly some of the best availability.

I haven't weighed my Power Wagon since I bought it, but my mods haven't attributed more than 200lbs max over what it weighed stock. Listed curb weight for a 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon is 7,044lbs, so I'd be willing to wager that mine is in the neighborhood of 7,200lbs. We have a 20lb increment scale at the ranch for our grain silos that we use to weigh the grain trucks. I'll run it up on the scale next time I am out there to get an accurate weight for y'all.

I do enjoy having a vehicle that allows me to put whatever I want in it or on it without having to think twice about GVWR or payload capacity. If it fits it goes and added weight has had very little effect on the power or fuel economy. This cannot be said for the 4Runner lol.

Grassland

Yeah i saw the posted fuel economy. If you are getting that in a full size on 37s with the payload and towing for when you need it, doesn't make sense to go smaller, other than to physically fit the vehicle in smaller spots. Good thing you got wide tires, thats a heavy truck! Have you changed the stock gears?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Stock 4.10's for now. I still turn 1800rpm's at 70mph with the 37's so they'll do until I decide to go bigger. I'm not sure that will ever happen, but I am considering 5.13's and 40's with fenders in the future. We shall see.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So this happened today, not sure what will come of it in terms of the build, but I am excited about it and the possibilities it represents.

0pab4rX.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Wheeled her into the garage with one hand! It's wild how easy it is to move this thing, effortless.

hRb1LZF.jpg

The entire trailer had been converted to 12V with a 7-pin connection and all LED lights, it did however, lack a license plate light so I took care of that as soon as I got it home.

dkRjwrY.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve been after a military trailer for years, very hard to find locally where I am. Did you get yours on gov planet or someone local?

I’ve been after a military trailer for years, very hard to find locally where I am. Did you get yours on gov planet or someone local?

If it was wired for 12v it didn’t come from gov planet.

If you are in Illinois you are in trailer heaven. I see a few a month go for the $1k range. I am picking up a nice camo 1102 next month for $1,200 in Georgia at the Steel Soldiers Rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramatl73

Observer
Well the Power Wagon performed extremely well on our trip, we covered 120+ miles of barrier island beach over 36 hours this past weekend. This was my first visit to Padre Island National Seashore since 2014 and while it is pretty much the same as it has always been down there, I was surprised to see so many people this time around. One could easily take a Subaru down to the pass and back and in fact we even saw a few along the way.

We camped in a annex room off of his awning and while it was convenient and comfortable we both agreed that we can't wait for the arrival of our RTT's. If nothing else what this trip proved to us was that while we are eagerly awaiting our organization and comfort products like the RTT, fridge, water system, racks, storage builds, etc., you can get by with very minimal mods and nearly bone stock vehicles. That said, I cannot wait for my Nuthouse Rack to plop down on the back of the Power Wagon along with all of those other accessories and amenities. They will certainly make for a more pleasant experience in all regards and provide better organization and use of space all around.

UrfJTCX.jpg

Sorry if I'm geeking out, is that Coleman stove that's running a propane tank a converted white gas stove? If so, I though noboby had one of those anymore. My Dad and I have one from the late 1970s that we converted.

Nice rig too. Just bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4WD that I'm working on now getting to similar setup. Didn't need a 2500 as I don't tow anything usually. Mainly using it to get on/off the beach here in Fernandina Beach, FL so I can kayak fish off the coast.

Thanks for any reply!

Chad

Tex68w

Beach Bum

I bought it off a guy who bought it from the government auction. I have been eyeing them for years, but I kept talking myself out of the trailer idea due to some of their inherent drawbacks, but I am glad that I took the plunge and got a very clean one.

Wrong, it did indeed come from there, the previous owner just converted it from 24v to 12v, it's not that hard to do and it makes more sense than a conversion plug.

Sorry if I'm geeking out, is that Coleman stove that's running a propane tank a converted white gas stove? If so, I though noboby had one of those anymore. My Dad and I have one from the late 1970s that we converted.

Yes, I have two. I keep one running on the white fuel and the other has a propane conversion for both the small 1lb. bottles and larger tanks. I like having the flexibility of both fuels. They are still some of the best stoves on the market and short of a Partner Steel Stove I haven't found anything I like more. I also keep a Solo Stove with me that I can run off of alcohol or even with sticks and trash if need be.

I bought it off a guy who bought it from the government auction. I have been eyeing them for years, but I kept talking myself out of the trailer idea due to some of their inherent drawbacks, but I am glad that I took the plunge and got a very clean one.

Wrong, it did indeed come from there, the previous owner just converted it from 24v to 12v, it's not that hard to do and it makes more sense than a conversion plug.

Yes, I have two. I keep one running on the white fuel and the other has a propane conversion for both the small 1lb. bottles and larger tanks. I like having the flexibility of both fuels. They are still some of the best stoves on the market and short of a Partner Steel Stove I haven't found anything I like more. I also keep a Solo Stove with me that I can run off of alcohol or even with sticks and trash if need be.

You misunderstood me. I was saying it didn’t come from gov planet as a 12 volt. Unless it came out of a state auction it came from gov planet.

It left drmo 24 volt. Someone bought it and re-wired it to 12v.

Explorerinil

Observer

If you are in Illinois you are in trailer heaven. I see a few a month go for the $1k range. I am picking up a nice camo 1102 next month for $1,200 in Georgia at the Steel Soldiers Rally.

Sorry I didn’t know, if you see a nice clean one in Illinois can you pm me a link please?

Sorry I didn’t know, if you see a nice clean one in Illinois can you pm me a link please?

Hop onto a few of the hmmwv buy and sale sites as well as hit Craig’s list and search for “military trailer” or “m1101”.

I will definitely keep an eye open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles