Easter Kayaking Video

refried

Adventurer
Are you sure you don't want to name this thread "Easter Swimming"? :snorkel:
Are those rec boats? I didn't see a skirt. no helmets? any safety gear besides PFDs?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
No helmets???? Standing up in moving water?? I don't mean to harsh your mellow but you are lucky you avoided a foot entrapment or getting caught in a strainer. Next time wear a helmet, keep your feet up off the bottom and in front of you, NEVER stand up in a river. You might also consider getting some real boats if you want to continue running rivers.

Last edited:

LateNate

Adventurer
Look guys, the video is for enjoyment now, not criticism.

I guess thanks for your concern anyway. Wether they are talking good or talking S%^&, at least they are talking.

I myself had a helmet and a PFD on. Its what the camera was attached too. Can't say the same for my friend. You can PM him and let him know.

No we didn't have skirts or professional bad@#$ boats and carbon fiber paddles. We are lucky to get water like this in the area we live in and looked at our risk verses gain.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The main no no's:

No helmet.
Standing up in fast moving water.
Paddling way to close to the lead boat.
Not knowing how to "read" water or they would have known avoid that big pour over that flipped them both.

I'm all for getting out there and having fun, even doing dangerous stuff that can kill you, but you should minimize the risks as much as possible by equipping yourself with some basic knowledge and skill before you jump on a fast moving river with slow responding boats. The standing up in the river really made me cringe. I had my foot caught between two rocks on the Middle Fork of the American River in 1985, I was held under for 15 20 seconds according to the other guide i was with but it felt like and eternity. I pulled like hell to get my foot out and lost my shoe as well as some skin but it was a wake up call. I didn't even try to stand up when i fell out of the raft it just happened during the tumult of the swim. A few years later a expert kayaker drowned after he took a swim form his kayak on the North Fork of the American River and his foot became wedged between two rocks. This type of death on rivers happens much more than you would think.

The river they did looks like a fun river with some great surf waves and play spots and I would hope they get out and do it again soon, but next time a little better prepared. We all make mistakes when learning new things, the key is not to repeat them.

Last edited:

Chris

Adventurer
Thanks guys much appreciated.

I have rafted a bit, some IV's and V's in South America and III's and IV's here in the North, however never in a kayak. Well, other than in smooth water lakes and ocean coast line.

This was kind of a self test, wanted to see if I saw what the more experienced kayaker saw.

Thanks again for the info and real world explanation.

CJ

kerry

Expedition Leader
Looks like a fun day on the water. I'd agree with the others on the safety assessment. Foot entrapments can happen quickly so don't stand up in water over knee deep. A couple of other items. Most people consider three boats to be the safe minimum. I don't always follow that rule religiously and sometimes run with two on familiar runs. But that river was up in the trees so in those circumstances, I think a three boat group is a good idea. Not sure what was inside your boats but I carry a throw rope and a variety of rescue equipment with me should anything go wrong.
I know it reads as if people are throwing cold water on your great day, but it only takes a few times of witnessing unprepared people on the river facing death to take safe boating practices seriously. It would have only taken one of those pour overs to be angled in a dangerous direction and the inability to read and avoid it could have turned the situation unpleasant in a split second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior