East Mojave Heritage Trail mini report

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I, too, have a set of the original hardcover guides. Read them all, checked off my COVID reading list. I’m looking to complete the sections on different trips, maybe linking up with other trails. Thanks for the trip report!

im in the process of tracing out the routes in my California Topo Atlas. The books are pretty cool.

RandyP

Adventurer
I traveled those routes in the '90's with Dennis and the FOMR group. Great memories. Need to do it again in the spring before the temps go up. Thanks for posting the adventure report.

Stryder106

Explorer
Nice write up - and thanks for getting out on the EMHT. I see you used my track and the supplement guides - thanks. It seems there is a bunch you skipped? Mailbox 1? Mailbox 3? Mailbox 2 (my track literally goes right to it)? Or did I misread your writeup? Aiken Mine area is nowhere near the worst ground conditions on the EMHT - but it looks like you took Turtle Mountain Rd rather than the route south (not a bad decision given how bad the ground conditions are out there).

To those with the original books: You can go to MDHCA.org and download my supplement guides for free as well as my GPS track that will guide you along the compliant route.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions about the route. Faster response on my Instagram: @fractal.exploration

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Nice write up - and thanks for getting out on the EMHT. I see you used my track and the supplement guides - thanks. It seems there is a bunch you skipped? Mailbox 1? Mailbox 3? Mailbox 2 (my track literally goes right to it)? Or did I misread your writeup? Aiken Mine area is nowhere near the worst ground conditions on the EMHT - but it looks like you took Turtle Mountain Rd rather than the route south (not a bad decision given how bad the ground conditions are out there).

To those with the original books: You can go to MDHCA.org and download my supplement guides for free as well as my GPS track that will guide you along the compliant route.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions about the route. Faster response on my Instagram: @fractal.exploration
Sorry I didn't see your post before! I did the complete route, and your GPS tracks were indispensable! I'm sure there would've been many miles of backtracking using just the books and the addendums. I skipped only one of the "hard" sections as stated in Post #14. Post #19 mentions skipping a section to get to a campsite, but I completed that section 2 months later on my way to DV. I guess it was relatively uneventful, as I didn't augment this trip report to show that I did that section!

I drove by mailbox 2 without seeing it, and that night my companion (Driller) said "yeah, you drove right past it!" I checked in to all the other mailboxes.

I don't do insta. There is 1 one segment that cannot be travelled by Carbonate King Mine, as someone drug boulders across the road and installed "Private" signs. It's on your GPS track # 0041, and here are the waypoints of the Private signs at each end of the private land:
West side private sign 35.42631, -115.50368
East side private sign 35.42844, -115.49816

Stryder106

Explorer
Sorry I didn't see your post before! I did the complete route, and your GPS tracks were indispensable! I'm sure there would've been many miles of backtracking using just the books and the addendums. I skipped only one of the "hard" sections as stated in Post #14. Post #19 mentions skipping a section to get to a campsite, but I completed that section 2 months later on my way to DV. I guess it was relatively uneventful, as I didn't augment this trip report to show that I did that section!

I drove by mailbox 2 without seeing it, and that night my companion (Driller) said "yeah, you drove right past it!" I checked in to all the other mailboxes.

I don't do insta. There is 1 one segment that cannot be travelled by Carbonate King Mine, as someone drug boulders across the road and installed "Private" signs. It's on your GPS track # 0041, and here are the waypoints of the Private signs at each end of the private land:
West side private sign 35.42631, -115.50368
East side private sign 35.42844, -115.49816
Interesting - so the area that had the boulders - that is an alternate path I recommended for larger vehicles that runs up by Kokoweef. But - that should be a through route, unless something has changed. I'll ping BLM to see if I need to route that alternative a different way. Thanks for the head's up.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice writeup. I did a traverse of the Mojave Road with a group from this board back in 2014 and have been wanting to go back ever since.

I've passed through the region a few times since then but I was always on my way to somewhere else so I haven't had a chance to go back and explore. That whole Southeast region of California has so many interesting places to explore I'm sure you could spend months there and only see part of it.

RandyP

Adventurer
Day 7, Kingston Wash to Devil's Playground (Mojave NP)

Today would be the last full day for Driller and I on this trip. In order to get to a decent spot where he and I could start heading home by midday tomorrow, we had to skip a section of the EMHT. What we skipped was a little loop that goes by Clark Mountain and crosses I-15 at Mountain Pass. We also missed Piute Valley and Carbonete King, Standard and Evening Star Mines.

We refueled in Baker, then followed the EMHT to Valley Wells. There is a large slag heap in Valley wells, here are some pics.
View attachment 636059View attachment 636060
You missed the doughout miners homes in the dry creek at Valley Wells.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Hi folks. To assist Luinil, I am currently editing my posts in this thread to provide a little better detail. As always, when I read something I composed after >6 months has passed, I find that I could've done a much better job in the editing process! I should be completed with edits within a week. Already I'm itching to get back out there again!

moto-treks

On the road
Hi folks. To assist Luinil, I am currently editing my posts in this thread to provide a little better detail. As always, when I read something I composed after >6 months has passed, I find that I could've done a much better job in the editing process! I should be completed with edits within a week. Already I'm itching to get back out there again!
Thanks. I'm been thinking about this trip too, so "provide a little better detail' is a good thing (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94