East Coast Defender are Stand Up Guys

Kgh

Let’s go already!
A few of you have seen the build thread I had posted on a Defender 110.

Long story short, plans changed due to transfer overseas, build plans changed, build dates were pushed back, conversations were had, and East Coast Defender and I got into a bit of a pissing contest.

The final outcome is that Tom Humble told me he would give me a refund of damn near all the monies I had put down, in installments. Today I received refund checks three and four of the four promised checks. They kept back about 9% of deposit, which I cannot really argue with too much as I know they expended time and expenses for the cancelled build.

Tom said what he was going to do, and did it. No further discussion, no excuses, no BS. Tom stood by his word.

He may have choice words for me, but I am very impressed and grateful for the fact that we have worked this out. Tom and crew are putting out nice looking Rovers, and are working hard to be a top tier refurb shop. That they would refund my sizable deposit speaks volumes about their character.

Having heard horror stories from customers of other companies, from LR to Toyota to Jeeps, it is refreshing to know that ECD stands by their word.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Happy to hear that you were able to work things out and regain your funds!!!
I'm going through the same thing now with another UK outfit and its been a nightmare.

A few of you have seen the build thread I had posted on a Defender 110.

Long story short, plans changed due to transfer overseas, build plans changed, build dates were pushed back, conversations were had, and East Coast Defender and I got into a bit of a pissing contest.

The final outcome is that Tom Humble told me he would give me a refund of damn near all the monies I had put down, in installments. Today I received refund checks three and four of the four promised checks. They kept back about 9% of deposit, which I cannot really argue with too much as I know they expended time and expenses for the cancelled build.

Tom said what he was going to do, and did it. No further discussion, no excuses, no BS. Tom stood by his word.

He may have choice words for me, but I am very impressed and grateful for the fact that we have worked this out. Tom and crew are putting out nice looking Rovers, and are working hard to be a top tier refurb shop. That they would refund my sizable deposit speaks volumes about their character.

Having heard horror stories from customers of other companies, from LR to Toyota to Jeeps, it is refreshing to know that ECD stands by their word.

Thon

Happy to hear that you were able to work things out and regain your funds!!!
I'm going through the same thing now with another UK outfit and its been a nightmare.

I've heard a lot of this recently, which I think is a product of the import eligibility rules and a local surge in demand due to the production of Defenders ending.

I feel only shame when I hear that foreign buyers are being ripped-off when there are so many decent workshops and traders here that do genuinely good work. Sadly a shiny website and knowledgeable-sounding proprietor are little proof of quality, and the only real guaranteed way around it is to see the vehicle in the flesh, drive it, prod and poke it, and see some examples of their work if you are planning any prep work.

You also have the added complication of the "Tart's Handbag" Defenders - where a tired truck is given a full makeover, internally and externally, but the important mechanicals are given short shrift. When you are browsing long distance these can seem stunning but the reality can often be something quite different, riddled with bad paint, rusty chassis and bulkhead, etc. Don't ever forget that Defender rust resistance is pretty poor unless rustproofing treatments are applied (which they generally aren't). We use a lot of salt on winter roads here, and a vehicle that's lived in the North of England or Scotland, or by the coast (and we have a lot of coast ...) is likely to be more affected than the rest of the country. I have viewed 6 year old Defenders with 50% of their chassis paint gone and 100% of the axles. Later Puma's are better (steel doors and better priming apparently) but the older ones suffer badly with galvanic corrosion.

All I can do is to urge you to be as meticulous as possible when appraising a vehicle for importation. I know how much work and expense goes into it (have done it myself from the UK with an '84 90 Hard Top into Ontario) and it's not to be taken lightly. If you can possibly manage it, spending a leisurely week in the UK appraising Defenders and sampling the delights of our many pubs and restaurants would be the only surefire way of verifying claims, but failing that, if the vendor isn't willing to indulge you in your long-distance questions, requests for photos, etc I would suggest this is a good indicator that the truck really isn't as good as they may have suggested ....

harbinger808

Adventurer
This process started in early 2014 for me and it still is going on but no where near where I thought it would. I just wanted a boyhood dream to come true before the prices became too ridiculous here in the states.

I've heard a lot of this recently, which I think is a product of the import eligibility rules and a local surge in demand due to the production of Defenders ending.

I feel only shame when I hear that foreign buyers are being ripped-off when there are so many decent workshops and traders here that do genuinely good work. Sadly a shiny website and knowledgeable-sounding proprietor are little proof of quality, and the only real guaranteed way around it is to see the vehicle in the flesh, drive it, prod and poke it, and see some examples of their work if you are planning any prep work.

You also have the added complication of the "Tart's Handbag" Defenders - where a tired truck is given a full makeover, internally and externally, but the important mechanicals are given short shrift. When you are browsing long distance these can seem stunning but the reality can often be something quite different, riddled with bad paint, rusty chassis and bulkhead, etc. Don't ever forget that Defender rust resistance is pretty poor unless rustproofing treatments are applied (which they generally aren't). We use a lot of salt on winter roads here, and a vehicle that's lived in the North of England or Scotland, or by the coast (and we have a lot of coast ...) is likely to be more affected than the rest of the country. I have viewed 6 year old Defenders with 50% of their chassis paint gone and 100% of the axles. Later Puma's are better (steel doors and better priming apparently) but the older ones suffer badly with galvanic corrosion.

All I can do is to urge you to be as meticulous as possible when appraising a vehicle for importation. I know how much work and expense goes into it (have done it myself from the UK with an '84 90 Hard Top into Ontario) and it's not to be taken lightly. If you can possibly manage it, spending a leisurely week in the UK appraising Defenders and sampling the delights of our many pubs and restaurants would be the only surefire way of verifying claims, but failing that, if the vendor isn't willing to indulge you in your long-distance questions, requests for photos, etc I would suggest this is a good indicator that the truck really isn't as good as they may have suggested ....

Thon

This process started in early 2014 for me and it still is going on but no where near where I thought it would. I just wanted a boyhood dream to come true before the prices became too ridiculous here in the states.

That's a helluva timescale no matter what type of truck you're having built!

Seriously though, if there's anything I can do to help (being at least in the correct country) then please PM me. I have quite a lot of experience in TDI and N/A Diesel Defenders and 90/110s (now on my 5th) and have a number of trusted contacts that I can call on for advice if I am stuck, so please feel free.

harbinger808

Adventurer
I will and thanks Thon.

That's a helluva timescale no matter what type of truck you're having built!

Seriously though, if there's anything I can do to help (being at least in the correct country) then please PM me. I have quite a lot of experience in TDI and N/A Diesel Defenders and 90/110s (now on my 5th) and have a number of trusted contacts that I can call on for advice if I am stuck, so please feel free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz