Easier Airing up.........?

SameGuy

Observer
I hate airing up, actually I hate airing down for that matter as well but both are part of the ritual to go the places we like to go so we do it. I'd like to make it easier, not that it is the biggest chore in the world but I think it could be simplified.

I have an ARB Twin compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. The compressor fills the tank in around 1-2 min and it seems like the first tire goes from 15 to 40lb in 3-4 min, next 3 tires a fair bit longer. I use the inflator that came with the compressor, nothing fancy and it really doesn't seem like it up to the quality one would hope to expect from ARB, but it is what it is. Looks like this.
51z84iKQ1dL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
To use this thing you basically clip it onto the valve stem, squat down in the most comfortable position you can get into and squeeze the trigger for 5-10 minutes and fill your tire. Seems like when I'm doing this it is cold, I am tired, mosquitoes are eating me alive and it is raining, often all at the same time.

I am wondering if I could install a pressure regulator inline with my fill hose that I could set for my desired tire pressure, get a similar inflator minus the trigger that I have to hold down, (or for that matter just clamp it open) clip it on and let it automatically fill my tire to the desired pressure while I do something else? Would something like this work?
71Ut3C1VqvL._AC_SL1440_.jpg

Seems too easy. I have never used this type of regulator before so I'm not sure it would do what I want it to do. Thinking it might work but by lowering the pressure going through it to say 40PSI, it might take forever to air up a single tire, especially when it got close to its target pressure. Is there a device that would allow the high pressure from the compressor and tank to fill the tire fast, but then blow off or stop filling the tire when it reaches the target pressure?

It seems like this wouldn't be all that tough but I am obviously not a pneumatic engineer.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct about slowing down as it approaches set point. They do make some hand held automatic tire inflators. With some plumbing enginuity you could use it to inflate all 4 at once while you are busy doing something else.

My pick if I was getting one. Simply because I am familiar with Rapidair products.

One that seems to be a favorite on Amazon.

shade

I hate airing up, actually I hate airing down for that matter as well but both are part of the ritual to go the places we like to go so we do it. I'd like to make it easier, not that it is the biggest chore in the world but I think it could be simplified.

I have an ARB Twin compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. The compressor fills the tank in around 1-2 min and it seems like the first tire goes from 15 to 40lb in 3-4 min, next 3 tires a fair bit longer. I use the inflator that came with the compressor, nothing fancy and it really doesn't seem like it up to the quality one would hope to expect from ARB, but it is what it is. Looks like this.
View attachment 560852
To use this thing you basically clip it onto the valve stem, squat down in the most comfortable position you can get into and squeeze the trigger for 5-10 minutes and fill your tire. Seems like when I'm doing this it is cold, I am tired, mosquitoes are eating me alive and it is raining, often all at the same time.

I am wondering if I could install a pressure regulator inline with my fill hose that I could set for my desired tire pressure, get a similar inflator minus the trigger that I have to hold down, (or for that matter just clamp it open) clip it on and let it automatically fill my tire to the desired pressure while I do something else? Would something like this work?
View attachment 560871

Seems too easy. I have never used this type of regulator before so I'm not sure it would do what I want it to do. Thinking it might work but by lowering the pressure going through it to say 40PSI, it might take forever to air up a single tire, especially when it got close to its target pressure. Is there a device that would allow the high pressure from the compressor and tank to fill the tire fast, but then blow off or stop filling the tire when it reaches the target pressure?

It seems like this wouldn't be all that tough but I am obviously not a pneumatic engineer.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Using that regulator would work. You could also attach it to a 4-way manifold, and run a hose to each tyre. Turn on the compressor, and everything should slowly rise to the regulator's set point. The compressor should stop running once the air tank reaches maximum pressure, just like I assume it already does automatically. I'd make sure the compressor can handle that much heat and run time before doing that, though.

You'd want to use free flowing grip chucks so nothing would restrict the air from flowing out of the tyre. With those, you could also air down multiple tyres at the same time.

You could also skip the regulator and use what you already have. Fill a tyre until you're bored doing it, or it reaches the desired pressure. Once the reserve pressure in the air tank is depleted, do something else while allowing the compressor to bring the tank back to maximum pressure, and repeat. Doing it like that has the advantage of giving the compressor a short break occasionally.

My preferred inflator is a Milton 503. I also like Flexzilla hose, since it's light, easy to store, and can be repaired in the field.

The 3' whip allows you to stand while filling a tyre. You could also try using one of the many Milton fittings to modify your ARB inflator, but it may be difficult to match the threads. One of the nice features about Milton products is that they use NPT or similar standardized threads, unlike what I've seen on some lower quality products.

Howard70

Adventurer
We went with the "all four tires at once" system and like it alot. Our truck has an onboard compressor and a five gallon tank. We have a disconnect near every wheel and four "whips" with disconnect fittings, chucks, and lever valves. We also have an additional very high output portable compressor. If we're not in a hurry we hook up the whips to the disconnects and tires and let the onboard compressor fill all 4 at once. Takes about 30 - 40 minutes including upacking, connecting, filling, disconnecting, and repacking. Not fast, but during that time we're having lunch, mapping the next leg of our trip or something else.

If we're in a hurry we add the high output portable compressor to the system (I made a disconnect "T" that routes the portable into one of the disconnects at the wheels) - this takes 20 minutes from driver seat & back to driver seat. Only 10 of those minutes are actually filling tires - the rest is connecting whips, packing & unpacking. etc.)/

To reduce the time to air down we use Staun deflators. Takes less than 10 minutes to air down. Again, not fast, but reasonable.

Howard Snell

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I just use a clip on air chuck and a stop watch on my phone. Simple.
All the tires end up within 1psi of each other.

If you want something more elaborate you could a spider hose setup to do all 4 corners at the same time.
For me that seems like 'extra' stuff to keep packed up and working correctly.

The regulator idea may work, but I think anything inline is going to have a negative effect on the speed.
They also tend to not be THAT accurate at lower pressures typically.

bluejeep

just a guy
"Indeflate" makes a unit for doing 2 tires at once, and another for 4 tires at once. I'm in the process of getting a 4 tire unit, issues with US distributor inventory but I'm seeing promise by going direct. A work in progress

click here

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I will say....I would love to see more CTIS systems offered.
Being able to tune the tire pressure up and down, especially with some good resolution on the low end of things, would be a huge win.

Dana Spicer has the tech sitting on the shelf for the new JL wrangler platform.

SameGuy

Observer
Wow, lots of good ideas and information here from everyone, thank you very much. I may pick up a pressure regulator and play with it on my shop compressor, see what happens. I also think getting a better quality inflator like Shade mentioned above with a longer whip is definitely in order, and the easiest, cheapest and takes up the least space idea from Metcalf of getting a straight clip on chuck and timing it can't be beat. The hose rigs filling multiple tires at once look trick and for some may be just the ticket, but in my ultralight backpacking brain, keeping weight and storage needs minimised is usually my main concern.

VanWaLife

I just got one of these and tested it bringing a 31x10.5 tire from 20psi to 35psi. I didn't time it; seemed like about 5 minutes, and the battery (3ah I think) ran down about halfway. Not a good solution for airing up 4 large tires, but still a pretty handy solution for a lot of circumstances, especially if you have the Milwaukee car charger. You just connect the air hose, set the target pressure, hit the start button, and let it do its thing.

David_h

Back in the day I cobbled a quick connect hose fitting to the low pressure port on my scuba tank regulator. With 80 cubic feet it could fill a tire in less than a minute. Maybe this is an option for shorter trips?

rayra

Expedition Leader
There's these things called "rubber bands". They'll let you stand up and even move around a little.

iu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles