EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I hate to bring up old wounds......... but where can I find out what happened or can I get the cliff's notes version?

It was a vehicle I worked on a few years ago... I did the interior like a boat...A nice boat...

All was cool until the owner, Mike, decided to extend the cab-over part of the cabin by eight inches in length, which the small mid-west start-up RV company did, but they did not make a new extended roof for it, or finish the interior at all... It sat gutted for months while the company owner squandered the money, lied about the progress and scrambled to bring in investors...

Mike hired a flatbed truck to bring it back to Oregon... And there it sat, reminding him of the good, the bad and the ugly... He didn't want to put any more money into it and instead of selling it, in part or whole, he gifted it to me... No conditions or expectations other than I post my progress on Expedition Portal, and I have...

It can go off-grid for at least a month without replenishment... 40 gallons of fuel, 20 plus gallons of water, propane cooktop, solar panel into two batteries, inverter/chargers, 35 liter fridge, petrol air heat for rear cabin, 12 volt hot water heater, outside shower, air compressor, roof rack, awnings all around, teak countertops, redwood floor, zebrawood cabinets, etc... 90% of it was included in the gifting... I just had to put it together... Can sleep 5 inside tight, when the fold out queen bed is built for the cab-over... Not bad for a two seater...

It drives like a tall Subaru until you unleash the potential...Has been lifted 4.5", 20% larger brakes, complete under-body skid-plating, seriously upgraded lighting, it is so overbuilt... The rear cabin is one of 13 built for Jeeps by Earthroamer... Earthroamer bet on Jeep going diesel, but that didn't happen so they abandoned the project... The rear cabin is poly-glass, balsa core, really well built...

Now, I need to connect all the interior systems and do a bit of finish carpentry, but I really just want to be done with it at this point... Getting it on the road helps to feel like the end is near...

More later,

Paul

kinnon

An Incredible Story that should be a documentary

As someone doing a Sprinter RV build, I had followed Paul and Mike's excellent adventure with Mike's Sprinter. I only began to read the XV-JP story about a month ago — and read it late into the early morning... a captivating tale. In fact, it's a tale worthy of a documentary. (An old guy, myself, I've spent the past forty years in the television production business.) It's a story of fun, adventure, challenge, pride, sadness and redemption — a very human tale. Reading the latest posts from Paul reflect that redemption. Press on, storytelling adventurers.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Glad to see this latest incarnation of the JKU camper - not many non pop-up builds on these that are documented. I think there is a lot of potential in this approach especially for the PNW type wet environment where wet fabric is always an issue.

Wasn't clear about how the lip on the top would look - but it came out fine especially since it is covered by awnings and the lightbar.

Looking forward to the interior getting finished.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I hate to bring up old wounds...... but I started at the beginning of this thread way back when. Then missed a bunch of posts, then jumped back in. Out of the 1589 posts, where can I find out what happened or can I get the cliff's notes version
Interestingly, such an overview thread already exists. Go here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/110885-EarthRoamer-XV-JP-Summary-Build-Thread

to get a pithy but photo-rich 22-post overview of the build up to a bit beyond the completion of the interior in Spring 2013. Paul's description above is accurate but starts about four years into the process and doesn't cover the reasons for and process of changing the truck's design around, nor does it cover the extensive changes--pneumatic rams, redone suspension, auxiliary fuel tank, roof design, etc.--done by me, Upscale Automotive and James Lombardo during the first years of my ownership.

I don't think many people know of this summary thread, and since I didn't start this main thread, I can't edit the initial post to link to the summary. But I should have, and will now, put a link to the summary thread into my earliest post.

And thanks, as always, for the interest in the truck.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As someone doing a Sprinter RV build, I had followed Paul and Mike's excellent adventure with Mike's Sprinter. I only began to read the XV-JP story about a month ago — and read it late into the early morning... a captivating tale. In fact, it's a tale worthy of a documentary. (An old guy, myself, I've spent the past forty years in the television production business.) It's a story of fun, adventure, challenge, pride, sadness and redemption — a very human tale. Reading the latest posts from Paul reflect that redemption. Press on, storytelling adventurers.

Mike, here's another shot at a tv show involving overlanding! :snorkel:

ripperj

Explorer
I'm very excited to see rev 3 on the road . Great job. I really hope you have some good times with it.
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
51 - Front Cabin Ceiling...

P1020823.JPG

(above) When seated behind the wheel, I only have about 2" of headroom, so I removed the ceiling panel and.......

P1020824.JPG

(above) ...... cut off the part that didn't need to be there... This weekend I will fiberglass it with vertical extensions, between the windshield and the cab-over... When it is finished there will be over 4" of headroom...!!!...

P1020825.JPG

(above) The sink, faucet and countertop are now permanently set...

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Awesome build! I've been following since Rev. 2.

Paul, what is the "green/grey" stuff you put in the cracks? Fiber-glass body filler?

This:
P1150970.JPG

Clever idea for the pJ logo! Are you mounting the Maxx Tracks on the hood? If so, great idea!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Awesome build! I've been following since Rev. 2.

Paul, what is the "green/grey" stuff you put in the cracks? Fiber-glass body filler?

This:
P1150970.JPG

Clever idea for the pJ logo! Are you mounting the Maxx Tracks on the hood? If so, great idea!

The "green/grey" stuff is a high strength polyurethane adhesive used to attach the small panels in place... Later it will be fiberglassed on the outside...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles