EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

xtremexj

Adventurer
Just spent the last several days reading this thread from front to back and all I can say is what an emotional roller coaster!! From the beginning this build has been well thought out and doubly well executed. After the unfortunate destruction of this rig it was almost too much to comprehend as to how Mike must have felt upon receiving it back from "he shall not be named" and seeing what was left of a $100K+ build. I was very happy to see that in the end it wasn't sent to the crusher and it was back in the hands of the individual who had so much hands on involvement to raise it from the ashes. Perhaps this rig should be called "The Phoenix" instead of "Boomerang". Anyhow, hats off to Mike and Paul for providing one hell of a read and a pile of inspiration. BRAVO!!!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Just spent the last several days reading this thread from front to back and all I can say is what an emotional roller coaster!! . . . Anyhow, hats off to Mike and Paul for providing one hell of a read and a pile of inspiration. BRAVO!!!
How thoughtful of you to write that, and the timing was very good: It's the one-year anniversary of getting the photos showing that I didn't have a usable camper any more. I very much appreciate all of the support given me and Paul during that time, as it made a lot of difference in how I was able to cope with the loss of a unique and fun truck. I really miss having that special Jeep, and haven't found anything to replace it, but I am pleased that Paul continues, amongst all the other things he's doing, to make progress toward getting it back on the road.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Hi Mike - Thought you would be driving a 4x4 sprinter by now... but I haven't made that plunge either - still driving my 2002 Sprinter around instead. Waiting to see what the new Jeep JL looks like once it comes out.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hi Mike - Thought you would be driving a 4x4 sprinter by now... but I haven't made that plunge either - still driving my 2002 Sprinter around instead. Waiting to see what the new Jeep JL looks like once it comes out.
i expect the answer to this to be either silence or several pages. Mike is somewhat of a pioneer here in any ways that folks are not aware of. I know the XP was painful, and the concept of VISA builds are simply not appealing. But I just can't see him sitting still...

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yes, indeed . . . I totally thought I'd be driving a 4x4 Sprinter by now, too, and I certainly bought my '03 as a temporary truck until the 4x4 happened. Interestingly, though, once the 4x4 Sprinters appeared and became so widespread, I lost most of my desire to have one. I don't think there's any way that either of us is going to create anything out of a Sprinter that will seem very special in light of what's already out there. In fact, I believe I've become more proud of my cherry T1N than I would be of a shiny new 4x4.

GR8ADV said:
Mike is somewhat of a pioneer here in any ways that folks are not aware of. I know the XP was painful, and the concept of VISA builds are simply not appealing. But I just can't see him sitting still...
That was a nice thing to say about me, and the part about not wanting to just buy something conventional is the major reason why nothing has replaced the XV-JP.

I'm trying not to dawdle over the decisionmaking--I'm not really interested in going for the "Oldest Camper Builder" title--but given all the individuals and companies now involved in what used to be kind of an unusual hobby, it's a lot harder than it used to be to find a path that's not already well trod.
But I think all the time about possible things I can do, and I'm hopeful something will bubble to the top sooner rather than later.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
50 - Road Test

Much more to do, but I got the new tail, and back-up lights working, and the rear door latch operational... Good enough for a short drive in the country...

P1150943.JPG

P1150944.JPG

P1150946.JPG

P1150947.JPG

P1150949.JPG

P1150953.JPG

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Congratulations, Paul, and good work. It is almost exactly one year since my transporter driver took possession of the destroyed XV-JP in Iowa, and it's a great anniversary development to see the Jeep back on the road. Very good news, and given all else you've had going on the past year, an impressive accomplishment. Many thanks for resurrecting the truck and making me feel better about how things have turned out than I thought possible twelve months ago.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Congratulations, Paul, and good work. It is almost exactly one year since my transporter driver took possession of the destroyed XV-JP in Iowa, and it's a great anniversary development to see the Jeep back on the road. Very good news, and given all else you've had going on the past year, an impressive accomplishment. Many thanks for resurrecting the truck and making me feel better about how things have turned out than I thought possible twelve months ago.

Thanks Mike to you for friendship, encouragement, generosity, wisdom and humor... You are one of a kind...!!!...

It has been fun configuring an amazing truck and camper into this... Not better, not worse, just different... Amazingly different...

You are right, it had been quite a year...

Now finishing off the inside should go fast, mostly hooking up things and some final carpentry... Still not sure what to do in the overhead...???... Thinking a bed like the Fuso or storage... Nothing fancy, just easy to use...

screwball48

Explorer
Paul congratulations on all the hard work. Nothing more rewarding than seeing your hard work begin to pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
I hate to bring up old wounds...... but I started at the beginning of this thread way back when. Then missed a bunch of posts, then jumped back in. Out of the 1589 posts, where can I find out what happened or can I get the cliff's notes version?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles