EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Keep up the already-incredible-progress Paul. Amazing what one man can do in a few weeks compared to what an entire team didn't at Red Cannon Expedition in 7+months.
HUGE kudos!!

really great work!

Paul, know many of us have never met you but I think i speak for most of us. You are doing a terrific job and it is inspiring, makes me think of the possibilities. One of my thoughts is to get a roof mounted tent with the opening over the back of the jeep, then add a fold down tailgate ( there are kits) and ( here is the hard part for me any way) turn the rear window into a split rear window so they could open to the side allowing access from the tail gate to the sleeping area up top. Only thing is I have no idea how to build a split window form a solid one. Any thoughts? keep up the great work!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Paul, know many of us have never met you but I think i speak for most of us. You are doing a terrific job and it is inspiring, makes me think of the possibilities. One of my thoughts is to get a roof mounted tent with the opening over the back of the jeep, then add a fold down tailgate ( there are kits) and ( here is the hard part for me any way) turn the rear window into a split rear window so they could open to the side allowing access from the tail gate to the sleeping area up top. Only thing is I have no idea how to build a split window form a solid one. Any thoughts? keep up the great work!

Having a hard time visualizing the rear window situation... You want to be able to step from the tailgate, through the window, into the top...???...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
10 - Fresh Water Tank Expansion...

P1120806.JPG

(above) The former grey water tank sits below the floor level and currently has an exact capacity of ten gallons...

P1120809.JPG

(above) To increase the capacity, the tank will fit within the future curb-side cabinet... At the tallest, the tank is being extended 18"... The notch arounds are for the water heater...

P1120810.JPG

(above) The 1/4" plywood parts are hot glued together, and will be substantially fiberglassed seamlessly with epoxy resin... Fast and easy...

P1120811.JPG

(above) Over the under floor portion of the tank, it is being made 1.5" taller... Might as well make it as big as possible, without becoming obsessive about it...

I did a quick volume calculation and the new tank will have a 22.5 gallon capacity... Wow...!!!...

Last edited:
I found out about Fiberglass Supply through Paul's builds. I had an idea on my own build went to there shop in Burlington and went over it with them, never having done any glass work myself I was apprehensive and in the end went another direction. That being said they took the time to talk to me and quote me material cost and suggested I take a few of there FREE classes. Not sure if paul has ever linked there site.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Going back a few pages, I love the way the roof looks with just the wood and being sanded like it is now. Heck, I'd throw some clearcoat over it and somehow tie in the wood grain look into the design of the vehicle wrap

Great work as always

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Man, I don't check the forum for a month (work/life/stuff) and BOOM... this project takes some dramatic turns. Glad to see this back on track...or on a track, or well, you know what I mean. Following along Paul and Mikes latest adventures and looking forward to some innovative and interesting stuff.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
11 - Water Tank, continued...

Last week was hot here in the PNW and the day job was re-siding a home... I did the old sheeting tear off, staying ahead of my buddy putting the new stuff up... Long days and too tired to work on the Jeep after work... Sorry for not posting more...

P1120831.JPG

(above) The propane locker determines the size of the fresh water tank... Outside it looks like this...

P1120832.JPG

(above) The tank that was started last week can be made bigger... Extend the front and rear sides to gain hopefully another gallon or two...

P1120833.JPG

(above) The first tank has been modified on the rear edge, but not the front... I decided to get a fresh start on the new tank with fresh plywood and no spliced seams...

P1120834.JPG

(above) A half hour later and the new tank base is hot-glued together...

P1120835.JPG

(above) The new combined old and new tank capacity is 24.72 gallons... Close to what I was hoping for... I will get it fiberglassed this week... Stay tuned...

fireball

Explorer
Do you really need a 25 gallon water tank? For a vehicle meant for one, max two people that seems to be a lot. I guess if the space can't be better utilized for something else then you might as well have a larger capacity tank since you obviously don't need to fill it.

200lbs of water would be a lot of weight!

Vanaroo

Observer
Do you really need a 25 gallon water tank? For a vehicle meant for one, max two people that seems to be a lot.

I had that thought at first too; but then I thought, well, for someone who likes surfing and being near the ocean... there really can't be too much freshwater for rinsing people and things, can there? Maybe some of it is planned for that purpose.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I had that thought at first too; but then I thought, well, for someone who likes surfing and being near the ocean... there really can't be too much freshwater for rinsing people and things, can there? Maybe some of it is planned for that purpose.
My thought is that if you go out and decide to stay away for a while, water is the one thing you would not want to run out of... Forty gallons of fuel can get you well away and back again, the solar and batteries cover the fridge and there is still plenty of space for storage and an absurd amount of creature comforts... And you don't have to always run with the water tank full...

fog cutter

Adventurer
all the hot-doggers & ho-daddies in Town leave a gallon jug of water on the hood of their car when they go in. apres-surf, they have a hot rinse awaiting and then a quick change in the parking lot. some with, some without, the towel wrap.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Vehicle Registration...

A few weeks ago, I took the owner transfer paperwork between Mike and me to the State Vehicle Registration office in a strip mall... Do the legal process before the big fines kick in...
Was told that since the transfer took place outside of Washington State, in Oregon where there is no sales tax, Washington State is entitled to that tax here...
Based on what...???... The sales price...???... Only if it is greater than "Blue Book"...******...???...
In this case, over $2,200 in registration tax...
The helpful clerk suggested I take the Jeep to the local, cigar smoking, used car dealer for an "Official Appraisal"... Why not...???...

Down the street and around the corner is Honest John...
I explain my predicament, he understands, and we get started...
HJ: Where is the vehicle...???...
PJ: Un-drivable, in my driveway...
HJ: No problem, I don't need to see it...How many miles...???...
PJ: Around 26K...
HJ: I'll write down 150K... How are the tires...???...
PJ: Not bad...
HJ: The windshield, is it cracked...???...
PJ: No, but it is held on with duct tape...
HJ: How's the roof...???...
PJ: Missing...

Honest John rolls over to the other desk with the computer, keyboards a bit, the printer then spits out a sheet of paper... HJ explains what he did... "The Blue Book value is in the $30K range, but considering the condition of the vehicle based on our lengthy Q&A, is now $6K... Take that to the DMV... $25 please..."

I did and I paid an unfair tax, but way less than what could have been... Oh, what a system...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles