EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Oh man Mike, i'm so sorry. I don't log onto the portal at all anymore, but if you need anything give us a holler or drop me an email.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Oh man Mike, i'm so sorry. I don't log onto the portal at all anymore, but if you need anything give us a holler or drop me an email.
Thanks, Dave. Your thoughtfulness means a lot.

======

For those not around this build thread when it started, Dave and I go back a ways, and while he was up here one time, he posted--post #27--this 14 second video showing the XV-JP's new top operation. And, all praise to humongous server farms, it's still around and still works.

With recent events, it's a video of great historical value. You have to admit the top operation was pretty trick, and I do feel the fool for offering to let it be changed.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Cool video...!!!...

A couple days ago, I sent Mike an e-mail...

"Hi Mike...

...I made a wish list, base on my rememberance of what was in the Jeep before... Here goes...

Water system... Tanks ... Water heater ... Water pump ... Faucets ...
Heat system ... Air heater ... hoses? ... Thermostat ...
Electrical system ... Batteries ... Inverter ... Panel ... Lights in and out ... plug ins ...
Solar ... Panels ... Controller...I
Roof steps ...
Spare tire and mounts ...
Spare water and fuel tank ...
Propane ... Tanks ... Regulator ...
Generator ...
Refrigerator ... Pull out ...
Cooking ... Stove ... Sink ... Etc...
Air system parts...
Tow and recovery...
Fox wing ...
Gore Tex top ...
Leather bench ... Back rests ...
Pull out bed ...
Drawers and pull outs ...
Good karma ...

That's all I can think of..."

Mike replied that about the only things missing were one of the steps to the roof and the generator...

Early next Saturday my wife and I will drive our Sprinter to Mike's... Parts will get sorted out and I will install a temporary plywood roof for driving back...

Once the Jeep is at my place, a corrugated sheet metal roof will be attached to the plywood to act as a rain barrier until a real roof can be built... Hopefully that can start within a couple of weeks... I will likely use Gatorboard, fiberglass and epoxy to build the new, permanent roof... I used that stuff on the RTT trailer Mike and I worked on... Lightweight, stiff, insulative, easy to work with... I need to have the Jeep here to work out the spatial plan... I have general idea, but need the vehicle here before investing much more time into the design...

The lower cabin plan, for now, is to have the bench-seat / bed on the driver side with the batteries, inverter, elect panel underneath and forward... The air heater will be under there as will the propane tank (in a vapor proof locker)...

Curbside will have the water tanks in the cabinet behind the passenger seat and accessible through the former propane locker door... I like to see that stuff... The water pump will be down there as well... The fridge will be in that lower cabinet too... The sink will be placed close to the rear door and the stove just forward of that... An exterior shower connection will be made near the sink... There will be Windows on both sides of the lower cabin...a venting window just behind the seats an a narrower window behind that... Both sides will be the same...

The second bed will likely be up high on the driver side...

That's all for now, more later.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
This thread has been one of my go-to, mainstay threads since I joined this forum. I am so glad that it is thoroughly back on track. My very best regards to Mike for seeing this new, clear path.

Paul, you have my undivided attention :)

screwball48

Explorer
What if the roof was built like the one for the utility bed trailer. Build the primary roof and use an RTT for the pop up section for additional room and clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
maybe not get defensive when someone asks a question or makes a comment. other people have skills and experience, too.

I will keep that in mind... I put a lot into my work and it becomes personal... Still working on becoming a better me...

One last thing: I promise to never compare myself to Tesla...

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Concerning the roof, having the roof similar to what it was but with some subtle changes like still keep it where one end tilts up and use westfalia hinges to get that extra 8 inches or so of the roof rising at the hinge point to gain extra room inside, fabric on the outside again similar to the westy design, it works and has so for 50 years.
The fabric in my opinion should be attached top and bottom without any need to attach it after the roof is up, with many big openings for windows/screens.........yes again like the westy.

If the pneumatics are still functional to lift the roof use that but if not a similar lift can be made with some electric actuators, I believe Mike might already have one or two of those??
This could provide enough space to have a single or double-ish bed up top.

Cabin wise I am a big fan of getting the cooking crap outside, so a simple slide out kitchen that slides out the back from under the sink area with the sink close by and the fridge readily accessible too would make for a good outdoor kitchen space that gets completely covered over with the foxwing awning, leaves the smells outside but is easily stored away, if the foxing is too cumbersome to erect each time a small awning can be used.

Anyway those are my ideas, good luck and excited to see what you do.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
All good ideas. For such a small space, I'd imagine that indoor cooking would be a fallback option only. As long as there's enough flat space and ventilation to get by with a butane catering burner, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need for a full indoor kitchen space. Of course, this project has always been a "premium" target, so I get it if one feels that it "must" have indoor cooking.

ak_cowboy

Observer
For an idea (more than a suggestion), is there a way to make a RTT type clamshell that you would only use half of. The half over the Jeep would be open for extra headroom and the outside half would be where the bedding would be stored. Kind of like a loft in a small cabin.
This would allow the extra walking around space and the ability to setup and sleep without getting out of the vehicle.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I think I need need only a retractable portion of the space overhead for sleeping... The ability to stand up and walk around in a vehicle this small is not the highest priority... Ease of use is...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles