Earthroamer SX

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ah, I didn't realize that! I've really enjoyed seeing some of the stuff on his channel. Both TruckHouse and Bison Overland have some really interesting features that I've considered integrating into my future rig.

Unrelated, but... do you have a thread on your rig? I know you're hauling on a 5500, and I'd love to see what you've got!

Yes, link in sig

rruff

Explorer
The TruckHouse thing was a hilarious idea and anyone that thought that would work out needs to lay off the glue inhalation.
i’m actually pretty bummed to hear this. A truck camper on a taco seemed like a really cool concept, and some of the design choices were quite nice.

Well, they've gotten deposits and built a few of them anyway... and if they are not delivering because they are working out "bugs" then I'd call that a positive sign.

If they'd started with a 1 ton platform, I think they'd have a winner... but a Tacoma requires so many extensive aftermarket mods in order to function decently with this sort of weight (likely 3k lbs or more over GVWR when loaded up). Off the top of my head: supercharger, regear, long travel front end and suspension all around, brakes (including computer mods), rear axle (full floater), frame reinforcement, etc.

Even if they do a tremendous job of sorting all this out, Toyota is absolutely not going to warranty the chassis; if there are any major issues with it you will be on your own... or trust that TH will cover it? TH also doesn't sell the complete vehicle, the owner buys the truck and pays them to mod it; that's how they get around the GVWR issue. The frame is the thing that seems the most iffy to me, since it would cost a lot to fix it if it breaks.

It's just very risky to trust that any new company will stay in business and provide good CS, when they have such a challenging task. I hope they are able to do it (make a great performing and reliable rig on this platform), but the odds seem low.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
...which is not nearly as nimble offroad as a Taco with a tent, some fuel, water and cooler full of food and cold ones: different tools, different jobs. A night in a tent or a night in a suite at Four Seasons can be equally epic….

Truth, brother ⬆

Unfortunately, that tried and true, affordable, old school style of exploration is rapidly becoming a lost art. Youngsters missing out on that more raw experience of tent camping with only the basic gear, in uncrowded woods with no cell service, will grow up lacking a more useful sense of their true place in the world and likely never acquire an appropriate awe of nature.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Truth, brother ⬆

Unfortunately, that tried and true, affordable, old school style of exploration is rapidly becoming a lost art. Youngsters missing out on that more raw experience of tent camping with only the basic gear, in uncrowded woods with no cell service, will grow up lacking a more useful sense of their true place in the world and likely never acquire an appropriate awe of nature.

Which is why every young person should spend at least 2 years in the Army (if they can't qualify they can join the Marines, Navy or become a Space Cadet, but they stay in condos.)

And, that is why I don't run around in a Global Expedition Vehicle!

ReluctantTraveler

Truth, brother ⬆

I dunno. I absolutely get the appeal of "roughing it," but I try to be careful not to get overly nostalgic about "the good old days." Being a luddite has its downsides, too!

None of this is to takeaway from your broader point that people generally seem more into "the gear" than "the experience" these days.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The frame is the thing that seems the most iffy to me, since it would cost a lot to fix it if it breaks.

Frame is probably the least of their worries.

I had an overloaded Tundra, and learned my lesson the hard and expensive way.

i Went through brake rotors like crazy, same with control arm bushings, and steering rack bushings.

Those heim joints on the "long travel" kits wear even faster than stock bushings.

So yeah.... The "They are working out bugs" statement should be interesting to follow! :)

waveslider

Outdoorsman
None of this is to takeaway from your broader point that people generally seem more into "the gear" than "the experience" these days.

You see this with virtually everything anymore. At least anything outside. Hunting, Fishing, Overlanding....you name it. Lot's of causes for it I'm sure. In hunting I lay it at the feet of social media and the supposed "non-profits". But that's a different discussion.

I contend it's one of the leading reasons so many people buy these giant vehicles and really have no idea what they intend to use them for, so they're disappointed. The want to use the gear vs use the gear to do X. Those things are not the same.

I've spent more nights on a portaledge than most have in a tent and I know I've spent way more nights in a tent than many will in a hotel room in their lifetime. We knew exactly what we wanted.....but trying to have that match up to reality is where the rubber meets that road and where the challenge lies for ER or the Tacoma Bros (or whatever their name is) and the rest of them.

ReluctantTraveler

You see this with virtually everything anymore. At least anything outside. Hunting, Fishing, Overlanding....you name it. Lot's of causes for it I'm sure. In hunting I lay it at the feet of social media and the supposed "non-profits". But that's a different discussion.

I contend it's one of the leading reasons so many people buy these giant vehicles and really have no idea what they intend to use them for, so they're disappointed. The want to use the gear vs use the gear to do X. Those things are not the same.

I've spent more nights on a portaledge than most have in a tent and I know I've spent way more nights in a tent than many will in a hotel room in their lifetime. We knew exactly what we wanted.....but trying to have that match up to reality is where the rubber meets that road and where the challenge lies for ER or the Tacoma Bros (or whatever their name is) and the rest of them.

As a newer entrant to this space, I also personally found social media has a lot to do with it.

We weren't really sure what we were doing or where to start, so we started watching YouTube videos and reading articles. There's so much "17 pieces of essential gear you need for your camper" type content out there. You buy it, then realize you don't actually need any of that stuff (or most of it) after the fact.

But you buy it because you don't want to get stuck on the road without something essential.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Like I've said many times, it comes down to what you are wanting to do. While its not the 'purpose' of our rig, there are plenty of people who truly only really want to travel. Or to say it another way, they want to drive around (aka Overland). Which is totally fine but isn't our thing.

We didn't get our truck to drive around, we got it to use as a base camp for a variety of other activities. And ideally, a base camp that allows us to get as far away from other people and still remain comfortable. So we are using our vehicle to go DO something (oftentimes some other gear-intensive thing) so things like towing, storage, etc are important when if I was just traveling and that WAS the adventure - we would have made a lot of other choices.

The Tacoma thing is a joke to me because it would do NEITHER of those options even remotely well. I think some of this also explains why you see a LOT of these large, expensive/expansive rigs parked in campgrounds or in RV Parks.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
@ReluctantTraveler and @waveslider

Your philosophy is grounded in reality and your wisdom is evident. Attending the Moore Expo, I found people buying equipment to meet their expectations of some fantasy.

A couple years ago I considered going with a large commercial or military vehicle, one to be built, not bought. The folks at GXV are about 6 miles away, so there could be access to parts, furniture and equipment for a DIY build or might have some limited support. It took me awhile to realize that I was not thinking as a man of my age should.

I'm sure we are all guilty of impulse buying. I've been guilty a couple of times regarding boats. A 50' Sea Ray Sundancer can teach you many lessons. Buying a large boat or vehicle is just half the price of ownership if you really keep it. Insurance, taxes, storage and the bigger expense of repairs and maintenance usually aren't a thought on the day you buy some beast. Seeing your bank statement can bring you back to reality.

When the adventure bug bites you, hold on to your wallet. 18 months ago, I bought a 24' pontoon boat, it was 3 years old, and I convinced myself we would run part of the Missouri and Illinois Rivers. It has never seen water and sits in dry dock in my back yard. I needed to have my son come over a few days ago to climb up and remove the battery and charger preparing for this cold weather. Getting older sucks!

To your point, seems we buy stuff and then find a way to use it. A friend, an aviator, just had to buy his own plane, be glad you haven't taken up that hobby! He could fly to Dallas or Denver for dinner, but he doesn't.

It takes a lot of justification to drop a million bucks on any truck-camper or RV. Just having a two-year fling on the road can set you back a couple hundred grand easily with depreciation and upkeep.

I'm happy for those few who don't need to justify how foolish they can be, like this guy....

1671902183816.png

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
"17 7 pieces of essential gear you need for your camper" type content out there. You buy it, then realize you don't actually need any of that stuff (or most of it)…

sink/stove/icebox/toilet/shelter/lighting/heat

Portable white gas or propane 2 burner stove and fuel
Jerry can of water/plastic basin
Coleman lantern and fuel
Roll of tp, folding milsurp trenching shovel
Tarp and rope
Axe/hatchet/matches

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
sink/stove/icebox/toilet/shelter/lighting/heat

Portable white gas or propane 2 burner stove and fuel
Jerry can of water/plastic basin
Coleman lantern and fuel
Roll of tp, folding milsurp trenching shovel
Tarp and rope
Axe/hatchet/matches

All you really need are suitable clothes, shoes, a good knife, flint and a small plastic bag with some paracord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior