Earthroamer SX

fortytw2

Teased on instagram a little while ago, here

Looking like a DRW->SRW Chevy 3500 rig of sorts, guessing it's significantly smaller than their current offerings.

Thoughts?

carleton

Not huge on the Chevy platform....but if they are offering something smaller that would be amazing.

Love the way their stuff looks, but when you start at an LTI and only get larger from there....its just too big for many people.

jbaucom

That's a Chevy Medium Duty - 4500 or 5500. Nothing like the 3500 platform. Solid front axle instead of torsion bar IFS.

carleton

Given the super singles, seems likely you are right about it being a 4500 or 5500.
But with the tire on a carrier instead of integrated into the composite, this is definitely a different build.

1666815359599.png

lucilius

[bigger Chevy 6500HD rig] Decent enough looks, cobalt blue line-x must be the new black, though maybe they were just out of the tattersall plaid. Hopefully the chevy has good rear axles that laugh at [14-16k lbs], the carbon is robust and they've got thousands of miles of all-conditions testing in the logbooks that prove these things have what it takes. I would've thought Ram/6.7 Cummins would be the choice to replace the Ford. Wonder who they borrowed those tires from, GXV seems to have good luck with them and so have others. [These are the ~43" G-rated 365/80r20 and 8270lbs limit] Maybe add some amber lights, you never know when you'll be out cruising in the fog/whiteout to get to the polo match and your other nine sets happen to fail. Don't laugh. It's tough driving these rigs through rough conditions with one hand on the wheel without spilling your champagne...[jokes aside, things to think about are the tires vs weight on rear axle (front should be fine), fuel + water/black/grey capacities that aren't significantly bigger than standard LT/LTX/LTi, no "gear garage", no motorcycle lift, limited to single spare, 350hp and 700ft lbs being adequate, and no idea what "Air-ride" suspension they're using or how it'll all perform over time. It will be great, though unlikely, to read some long-distance trip reports where this thing was put to the test on dirt/snow/ice].

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I was actually a little surprised to see those tires. While ours have been fantastic, they became hard/impossible to get last year and a couple of the GXV folks went the other way. One person got what I think Goodyear themselves described as a "bad batch" and had an explosive blowout at highway speeds. Which I bet was.......exciting.

There were all manner of theories why they got as rare as rocking horse sh$& ranging from the war in Ukraine to other gov contracts. I still have another couple thousand miles before I need to replace mine and I've been hoping that the supply crunch got solved before needing to do it. The fact that ER is using them in a new build is good news for me.

jbaucom

The medium duty Chevy is built by Navistar using the GM K2 truck cabs and 6.6 Duramax diesel, and Allison transmission. The International CV series is basically the same truck with a different grille.

Steve_382

Anyone hoping for a small version ER will be disappointed. Kind of between the LTi and the big boy.

The base price of SX is $995,000. A well equipped SX will generally come out to a final price in the $1,050,000 – $1,100,000 range.

Edit: In fact, now that I look, the big F-750 model is not listed currently.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sheesh. I don't get it. I think they're missing the mark with a smaller unit. But what do I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94