EarthRoamer Suspension, getting it done!

trailsurfer

Explorer
5094858599_33526410db_b.jpg

5094868927_5d19389037_b.jpg

LukeH

Adventurer
Houston, we might have a problem.

I take it you went anyway?
I have never seen so many nuts on one wheel!
It looks like some kind of drilling head; impressive.
Keep the photos coming, allows the office prisoners to dream a little...:drool:

sarconcepts

Adventurer
how often do you encounter, on dirt & back roads, bridges you can't pass?
obviously this one at 6000# is far too light for your 18'000# vehicle, I haven't seen any bridges rated that low yet, but I have seen 5 & 6 ton limits every so often?
thanks
steve

trailsurfer

Explorer
That is a buddies truck. I was in a 10,000 lbs Sportsmobile. We both made it without a problem. It was an old bridge out in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. I have not run into any bridges with this low of a weight rating, luckily, until this one.

But here in the Four Corners we do run into OLD bridges with no weight ratings at all that I am very suspect of.

howell_jd

Adventurer
Hasty Bridge Classification

obviously this one at 6000# is far too light for your 18'000# vehicle, I haven't seen any bridges rated that low yet, but I have seen 5 & 6 ton limits every so often?
thanks
steve

This is an important consideration for sure!:ylsmoke:

As an Army Engineer it is also right up my lane.:coffeedrink:

Rather than looking both ways sneakily and hoping no one is looking :snorkel: I would recommend at least a hasty classification.

Certainly a good lookey-loo is critical and a lot of "gut-feel" is involved but for those without much experience at material failure (that's not the time to gain the necessary experience either!:Wow1:) I offer that the GTA 05-07-012 Tank Commander's Bridge Crossing Booklet is a tool that provides some the math to determine a genuinely safe crossing. I can email the file as it's too large for an attachment (885kb) or you can find it online rather easily. I do caution that it is for "tanks" so it is designed for 30ton and 70ton tracked vehicles.

The old FM 5-170 Engineer Reconnaissance manual or the new FM 3-34.170 of the same title has an appendix devoted to bridge classification and both recording and reporting using DA Form 1249. It's all MOMENTS and SHEAR for the most part...and you want to avoid failure of course.

If you do decide to cross...don't change your mind halfway across - keep going (unless it collapses in front of you)!:smiley_drive:

Too bad I can't find the photo of the failed Bailey Bridge from WWII that was used in my Officer Basic Course.

Jonathan

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
thanks
steve

I can think of a few here in the northeast. Typically they're short bridges over creeks and if it collapsed you could probably drive out anyway. But you'd piss off all the other users as most likely the trail would be closed and given priorities and budgets, it maybe closed for a long time.

Jim

Saline

Adventurer
Trailsurfer,

I envy your vehicle lineup, wow! Just curious what your impressions are on the Earthroamer vs. the SMB. Granted , I imagine that the ER is way more plush and comfortable than the SMB. What is your choice for mostly off road travel between the two?

LukeH

Adventurer
I find it reassuring to see brush scratches, shows the trucks not just for being seen in.

Those road tyres and wheels just look "wrong" to my personal aesthetic sense.
I know they're perfectly good on sand and dry rocks (mostly) and obviously miles (or gallons) better on tarred roads, I just feel the truck looks much better on knobbly tyres.

That's only my opinion, please ton't get angry or argue the decision, I don't pretend to hold the definitive answer to anything, and I know why they've chosen those tyres.

howell_jd

Adventurer
Here's another bridge that collapsed from excessive loading (double-double Bailey). Clearly, some traffic may still pass but that too would be an adventure. The lateral buckling on this failure probably prevented anything bigger than a Jeep from crossing though.

Jonathan

P.S. I'm poking fun...thread-jacking over...no bridges were harmed by my own "caution crossings" :yikes:

Attachments

• Collapsed Bailey Bridge WWII.jpg
    Collapsed Bailey Bridge WWII.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier