Earthroamer sell off?

carleton

There's been some discussion (click -bait) in the news about the great G-Wagon sell off of the moment.
Lead by crashing crypto & uncertainty in the economy....folks are selling their luxury/unnecessary cars.

CURBED: The great G-Wagen sell off
NY POST: Crypto Bros Offloading G-Wagens.....

But, a search of RV Trader yesterday showed that there are currently 5 (!) Earthroamers for sale used nationwide, which to me seems like an unusually high number.

RV TRADER: Earthroamer

So, not sure if this is a commentary on the economy right now...and the used prices on these kinda look like what their new prices were at the time of manufacture (Weren't Earthroamers in 2015 about a 1/2 million?).

Steve_382

There are 6 listed on the company's Pre-roamed page also.

carleton

There are 6 listed on the company's Pre-roamed page also.

Good call, that also seems unusual.
11 for sale nationwide!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
There's been some discussion (click -bait) in the news about the great G-Wagon sell off of the moment.
Lead by crashing crypto & uncertainty in the economy....folks are selling their luxury/unnecessary cars.…

Yup. And Expensive Fancy show off watches are getting dumped too! (From Moneywise today)

Morgan Stanley: Prices for Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet watches will keep plunging due to a flood of supply

lucilius

Even discounting the economic gloom, I'm not seeing anything too unusual. After a decade and a half or more in operation, there are a lot more Earthroamers out there these days, a few hundred at least and the company has been making and selling rigs at a high rate for the last decade+. Earthroamer makes sure owners keep all the Ford warranty on all the Ford components (truck, chassis, trans, engine, etc), so it is possible that some folks are coming off warranty and we all know those who are hardwired to sell a vehicle at that point. I would bet that there are a number of owners who are upgrading to the new LTi (carbon fiber) which is the first significant change in over a decade. There are actually a good number of owners on their second ER and a few on their third. It doesn't hit everyone's bullseye for what a 4x4 camper should be, but for those that it does, it works well. Personally, I think the interiors (if the layout floats your boat) are what helps them hold value. It just works. The build quality and integration of systems is a strong suit for these rigs and there aren't a lot of issues to be found: they're functional/dependable for camping in all four seasons and work as advertised: with plenty of battery power, easy engine and solar recharging, 90gal freshwater+90gal of fuel=you can easily camp offgrid for over a week with a family of 4-5 winter or summer and this can be stretched to the limit of your food if you are near a water source (potable or not) and/or diesel. Moreover, there isn't a whole lot of difference between Earthroamers over the years, the company has been running more or less the same equation successfully since they started, so buying a used one that has been well maintained is not a bad deal. The company does a decent job if you want to upgrade something, though you will pay a lot for it and it usually makes more sense to do it on your own. IMO if you can deal with the "shortfalls", such as the lack of a large (motorcycle/ATV-sized) gear garage, somewhat hot/cold customer service and the need to be personally involved with your maintenance (or paying Earthroamer or a competent shop $$$ regularly to do the work) you'll be fine as these challenges aren't really that big a deal for most owners. If I was looking at a used one, I would examine the following in no particular order: age of/wear on tires, esp. MPT81 (no biggie if they're worn but you will want to stay on top of inflation and wear and replace appropriately, which should be obvious), paperwork showing maintenance of rear wheel bearings, ensure all the systems work, e.g. the Espar hydronic and airtronic are fully functional, etc., that the engine, esp on the 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes, has a solid maintenance record/if possible "bulletproofed", warranty status, and age and condition of the (AGM or lithium) batteries. Use any discrepancies / shortcomings in these areas to negotiate a lower price.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Wow. No offense to ER owners on here, but these things on RV Trader are way overpriced turds. $300,000 for a 13 year old Earthroamer with the worst diesel engine ever produced, the infamous 6.4 Maxxforce? They will never ever sell these for these prices. I am so excited for this overblown market to collapse like it so richly deserves.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Wow. No offense to ER owners on here, but these things on RV Trader are way overpriced turds. $300,000 for a 13 year old Earthroamer with the worst diesel engine ever produced, the infamous 6.4 Maxxforce? They will never ever sell these for these prices. I am so excited for this overblown market to collapse like it so richly deserves.

If they do sell for anything near that, i will be posting my rig for sale! :)

carleton

Even discounting the economic gloom, I'm not seeing anything too unusual. After a decade and a half or more in operation, there are a lot more Earthroamers out there these days, a few hundred at least and the company has been making and selling rigs at a high rate for the last decade+.

I guess I agree to disagree. Maybe it was pandemic shortage, but that Pre-roamed page has been blank to 1-or-2 for the last few years....I recall that #118 has been for sale for a while (unique because of single cab), and on RV-Trader the 2012ER with the bunk beds has been for sale for a while.....but 11 for sale at the same time?

Also, that comment could also describe Provan Tigers (different class of vehicle obviously, but small manufacturer that has been making roughly the same model for many years), and RV Trader only has (2) listings right now.
We've watched the Bengal market, and there has only been 8-10 for sale in all of 2022 that have been newer than 10 years.

carleton

Yeah, the price difference between RVTrader & Preroamed I think tells a story. Ordinarily we all would consider dealer pricing to be the more expensive option for used....and with it you get a certain amount of reassurance (IE, the ER has gone through the vehicle & double checked everything). But there seems to be a certain "pride" of ownership for these private party prices.

Consider:
#216 LTS, 21K miles $549k on RV Trader.
vs.
#204 LTS 8000 miles, $540 on PreRoamed.

OR
#171 LTS, 22k miles, $524k on RV Trader.
vs.
#176 LTS, 20k miles, $505k on PreRoamed.
#170 LTS, 20k miles, $470 on PreRoamed.

...also people don't appear to actually drive these things :rolleyes:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yeah, the price difference between RVTrader & Preroamed I think tells a story. Ordinarily we all would consider dealer pricing to be the more expensive option for used....and with it you get a certain amount of reassurance (IE, the ER has gone through the vehicle & double checked everything). But there seems to be a certain "pride" of ownership for these private party prices.

Consider:
#216 LTS, 21K miles $549k on RV Trader.
vs.
#204 LTS 8000 miles, $540 on PreRoamed.

OR
#171 LTS, 22k miles, $524k on RV Trader.
vs.
#176 LTS, 20k miles, $505k on PreRoamed.
#170 LTS, 20k miles, $470 on PreRoamed.

...also people don't appear to actually drive these things :rolleyes:

Wow…..

Anyone interested in a similar outfitted Ram for $200k less send me a PM ?

adam88

Explorer
There's now 7 "pre-roamed" for sale on earthroamers page. None of them seem to want to lower the price. The 2012 regular cab one for $370,000 has been listed for like half the year it seems and the owners don't seem to want to take a hint. I don't even know if that would sell for $200k to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
We have discussions going on about all the different selloffs of RV's of every type. Between interest rates going up, people not using them enough and people moving on it seems like everything is being sold or at least listed.

Problem is that they are being listed for dream prices in most cases. I bought it for X and I think it is now worth X times 1.2, 1.5, 2, 2.5 or even 5.

We can all dream! As long as we don't try making our dreams the reality of the day.

My converted van is worth $300,000 cdn to me. But a fair market value seeing what else is being listed is probably $90,000 +- cdn but if I wanted to sell it tomorrow $60,000 cdn would move it. The problem is when I think I will get $300,000 and won't go any lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier