EarthRoamer on CL in SF area

rontaki

Observer
No affiliation - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/d/extremely-rare-earthroamer/6322186221.html Asking $109K

However, the description looks like it is lifted directly off of the Earthroamer site. Also described as "XV-LT" and "XV-LTS", and in the four pictures provided, each vehicle has different graphics.
Possibly a scam??, interested in comments from the seasoned Expo members.

The only picture that looks like it is not from ER's web site -

00n0n_ieKZ8hviOqI_600x450.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hmm. Possible scam. Kinda seems more like someone who is lazy and doesn't want to write their own description. Prices seems about right. I think if it was a scammer it would be 20k lower to get someone to pay sight unseen.

Is CL the best place to sell an ER? I feel like you'd get a lot of dumb people emailing you...easier to sell it somewhere like EP where people actually know what it is.

rontaki

Observer
Thanks for the input, SDDiver5. I wasn't sure if the price was reasonable.
Because this is an ER, and at over $100K, I would expect a bit more effort to be put into an ad.

A bit o' research and I found what looks to be other legitimate postings -
http://www.lunnysauto.com/detail/EarthRoamer-RV_263231214675.html and https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Earthroamer-XV-LT-XV-LT-5000259323
Showing location as Mill Valley, CA. So maybe this is just an old, cheap toy to them, or the nanny asked for a newer RV. :)

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
That photo is also from the ER's web site. It seems odd to post something so expensive on CL and then not even put any actual photos of it.

I just sent them an e-mail requesting some more photos.... We'll see if they write back.

Michael

Last edited:

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
I had an e-mail conversation back and forth with the owner lasts night. He was prompt and polite. I asked that he posted actual photos, so he did lasts night.

It's a good looking truck. It's in Mill Valley, CA. He has had it for 3 years. The truck was serviced by EarthRoamer last winter.

Michael

CuStOm

Adventurer
Looking at web.archive.org it appears this thing costs about $160k new. A new 2017 goes for $450k. $160,000.00 in 2004 had the same buying power as $209,599.13 does in 2017. Summary, the new Earthroamers are more than twice as expensive, counting inflation, as the originals. Rightfully so as the systems in them and the build to them has increased in capability, complexity and luxury with at least a 2x multiplier.

It appears that people think that the value of the older used models is dramatically impacted by the current MSRP and thus makes them worth more? IE - "Hey a new one is $450k, this thing is a deal!" They're awesome rigs but are they really worth even this asking price at 13 years old? Just curious what people think its really worth, ie a fare offer price. That chassis without the camper is not worth much these days, bullet proofed 6.0 or not.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Simple supply and demand, for the most part, drive the market and the prices.

Has little to do with NEW ER pricing.

Like some other MFGs that produce very few units per year, the waiting list can be long.
Instead of waiting and buying new, you can easily pay more for a used unit, as it is available now.

CuStOm

Adventurer
Simple supply and demand, for the most part, drive the market and the prices.

Has little to do with NEW ER pricing.

Like some other MFGs that produce very few units per year, the waiting list can be long.
Instead of waiting and buying new, you can easily pay more for a used unit, as it is available now.

You're a perfect person to chime in. What would you offer this person knowing what you know?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You're a perfect person to chime in. What would you offer this person knowing what you know?

Offer who? The seller of said ER?
Personally, I wouldn't. I'm not in the market for such a vehicle.

That said, Its hard to say. Id have to do a market analysis to get even a round number.
And understand, that asking price is just that. Asking. The vehicle is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

So if I were to offer anything, it would be in the neighborhood of market value -10% and see where it went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior