Earthroamer - Living full time questions

D

Deleted member 9101

Honestly, if it was me and I was going to live out of an RV I'd get a large class A and pull a small 4x4 SUV.

Last edited by a moderator:

1000arms

Honestly, if it was me and I was going to love out of an RV I'd get a large class A and pull a small 4x4 SUV.
:unsure:

Maybe you have a very different job than I think you have? :cool:
Hey...a man's gotta pay the bills some how...********!
And here I was thinking you enjoyed upgrading exhaust systems when you weren't working. :cool:

Say, you're not related to Maj. Gen. Joseph “Fighting Joe” Hooker are you? :cool:

Last edited:

MNmtb

Taking this slow and steady.

reading another thread I saw someone saw insurance was about $5000/yr for comprehensive

does that match with others experience?

rruff

Explorer
Looking at the LTS. There is a nice pre-owned on the ER website. Right now I am trying to pair down the trappings of everyday life to fit a Roamer lifestyle. Trying to figure out if 3 bikes, SCUBA gear and a few pairs of skis can fit. Looked in to “bulletproofing” the engine and seems like $ well spent.

Someone was selling a near new custom toyhauler/camper on a 550 or 5500 here recently. Very nice. Think it went for <$150k.

You might be on a short time frame, but would you consider custom built? Just thinking you could get exactly what you want for less than a used LTS.

MNmtb

Someone was selling a near new custom toyhauler/camper on a 550 or 5500 here recently. Very nice. Think it went for <$150k.

You might be on a short time frame, but would you consider custom built? Just thinking you could get exactly what you want for less than a used LTS.

I know whatever the choice, I will learn where I went wrong. So to minimize that I am taking a deliberate approach. Ask, look, learn. The custom built is definitely in the running.
there is an outfit in Minneapolis that is on my way home. Gonna see if they are still building and stop by on Thursday.
In the meantime I keep scanning the interwebs for used options as well

thanks for the ideas!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Have you seen or been in a ER yet? The reason I'm asking is until you've actual spent some time in one and/or been around their factory you really can not understand/appreciate the quality, professionalism, care, high quality components and attention to detail that goes into one. I maybe a little bias due to we supply gear to them and I'm at their factory once a month but, once you spend some time looking at one from a bare frame to a completed machine and all the professional artisans/mechanics working on it, it becomes clear it is not your mass produced Class A, 5th wheel, whatever (and we own a Tiger 4wd Camper)........If you find yourself in Denver it maybe worth the time and investment to head-up I-25 to their factory and take a tour of both the ones under construction and their pre-owned models. Good luck!

MNmtb

Have you seen or been in a ER yet? The reason I'm asking is until you've actual spent some time in one and/or been around their factory you really can not understand/appreciate the quality, professionalism, care, high quality components and attention to detail that goes into one. I maybe a little bias due to we supply gear to them and I'm at their factory once a month but, once you spend some time looking at one from a bare frame to a completed machine and all the professional artisans/mechanics working on it, it becomes clear it is not your mass produced Class A, 5th wheel, whatever (and we own a Tiger 4wd Camper)........If you find yourself in Denver it maybe worth the time and investment to head-up I-25 to their factory and take a tour of both the ones under construction and their pre-owned models. Good luck!
i haven’t been there yet

with the ER quality was never the question for me. It is more about how many of my boxes does it check
if workmanship was the only criteria I would just go buy a Bentley or Rolls Royce. But unfortunately they don’t satisfy some of the other needs :)

rruff

Explorer
The custom built is definitely in the running. there is an outfit in Minneapolis that is on my way home.

What outfit?

Thought you might consider a Transit cutaway and box like Total Composites built. Transit AWD is available now and with the 10spd you can get quite low gears (but no low range gearbox). The cutaway saves ~$10k on the price of the van and the box is ~$20k (very sturdy, well insulated, easy to customize and build out). On something like this you could easily put in a "garage" with external access for all your gear and still have plenty of living space.

img-5669-jpg.134591

Van Compass and U joint both make 2-3" lift kits which allows for bigger tires, so you can substantially improve the pitiful stock ground clearance. Just thinking the van would be better for in-town and general road use (parking) but you will give up some offroad capability vs a truck based rig.

TI8A5061_1_1024x1024.jpg

MNmtb

What outfit?

Thought you might consider a Transit cutaway and box like Total Composites built. Transit AWD is available now and with the 10spd you can get quite low gears (but no low range gearbox). The cutaway saves ~$10k on the price of the van and the box is ~$20k (very sturdy, well insulated, easy to customize and build out). On something like this you could easily put in a "garage" with external access for all your gear and still have plenty of living space.

img-5669-jpg.134591

Van Compass and U joint both make 2-3" lift kits which allows for bigger tires, so you can substantially improve the pitiful stock ground clearance. Just thinking the van would be better for in-town and general road use (parking) but you will give up some offroad capability vs a truck based rig.

TI8A5061_1_1024x1024.jpg
Very interesting option. Thanks for posting that

I keep getting reminded that “I don’t know, what I don’t know”

outfit I Minneapolis is called camperlogic

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
i haven’t been there yet

with the ER quality was never the question for me. It is more about how many of my boxes does it check
if workmanship was the only criteria I would just go buy a Bentley or Rolls Royce. But unfortunately they don’t satisfy some of the other needs :)

Fair enough, I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. All your "boxes" could be answered and/or addressed by them and/or customized to your needs during the build process (storage, hidden storage, harden storage, exterior storage, environment controls, etc...) if you decide to go that way.
Best of luck as you move through your process. Sounds fun!
RR Cullinan is an incredible machine as well, It was also fun up-fitting some gear for a couple of their rally versions. Cheers.

MNmtb

Fair enough, I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. All your "boxes" could be answered and/or addressed by them and/or customized
Cheers.

I was just being a smart ******?

I really do appreciate the comments

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
ER doesn't customize, unless you consider picking the color of the drapes' custom. With so many better options out there, it's hard to see why it would be in the running. You could go custom, then all your boxes will be checked, and you would still probably come out money ahead.

sierraskier

Taking this slow and steady.

reading another thread I saw someone saw insurance was about $5000/yr for comprehensive

does that match with others experience?

No, I think mine is ~$1100/yr with my coverages. But I'm not full-timing and your premium cost will directly correlate with your stated value and coverages (obviously).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior