EarthRoamer F650!!!

cwsqbm

Explorer
Am I right in thinking F-650 and F-750 are the same platform with just some minor differences? What are the differences?

Depends on how you define minor. Same engine (assuming diesel), but different springs, axles, and frames.

Am I right in thinking F-650 and F-750 are the same platform with just some minor differences? What are the differences?

The main difference is GVW, at least 7000 lb of it. Not exactly minor when building an expedition camper of that size.

Charlie

TomH

Adventurer
Well obviously I was wrong on that. I have to see if I can dig up whomever it was with a 4x4 expedition vehicle on the F-750.

SRUPike

Observer
I have seen some schematics in to root directory of the Earthroamer site of an F650. There has been thought put in to this design, no doubt in my mind. Now the question is was it a one-off design for a customer willing to spend for their specs, or is it a mass release. Only Bill and the Team at Earthroamer know for sure. And I'm sure in due time, we will learn about a finish product that will be great.

Never underestimate the power of engineering and entrepreneurism when capital is available.

Gone are the Henry Ford days of "you can have any color you want, as long as its black"

The bespoke builders like Earthroamer, GXV and Unicat are more like Walt Disney, "If you can Dream it, we can do it."

turbopilot

Observer
Then this must be the much discussed smaller EarthRoamer.:)

59444_147541701952562_112397672133632_248072_6204431_n.jpg

Attachments

• 59444_147541701952562_112397672133632_248072_6204431_n.jpg
    59444_147541701952562_112397672133632_248072_6204431_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27

camperman

Observer
Bob, that thing is handy. But i prefer live inside LTS than travel in this. :coffee: And for others - ER is limited off-road due to size. Want extreme - buy JP

SRUPike

Observer
Now Bob, that would be cool, the EarthRoamer XV-Tuk imagine the blog on that... Although no inside cooking facility other than maybe a rice cooker or similar sized appliance. And no issues in the small towns of latin america or europe. Great concept where did you see that?

I can just hear the firestorm on the GVW now... Heck I'm a Clydesdale and I'm sure it would be close if not exceeding GVW not even including the cabinetry.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Earthroamer XV-HD is here!

The Earthroamer XV-HD is now official. Ford F650 chassis, Cummins power, Allison trans, 46 inch tall tires. Here's the link for more information http://www.earthroamer.com/xv-hd/

And here's a photo from the Earthroamer web page that gives you an idea of how big the XV-HD is, compared to the XV-LT Super Stretch, formerly the longest of the XV line.

MASTER-Profile-both-550-in-front-of-650-3000px.jpg

[Edit: Image updated with new version from Earthroamer.com]

One cool note from the XV-HD page is the announcement that the buyer can choose any F650 wheelbase. The overall length of the finished vehicle can be between 20 feet and 38 feet. Earthroamer is willing to build an XV-HD with space left at the rear of the chassis to mount a flatbed -- perfect for multiple motorcycles, or extra outside storage.

howell_jd

Adventurer
Wow. The bottom of the windows for the HD are ABOVE (!!!) the roofline of the LTS's cab. :Wow1:

I never thought I'd be able to say, "I love my little ER" with a straight face. Well done indeed.

Jonathan

haven

Expedition Leader
My guess is that there is a bigger market for the XV-HD than for the original Earthroamer. The "toterhome" market is well established, lots of over the road haulers have a need/desire for more spacious living accomodations while towing a big trailer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Earthroamer gets requests to build on Peterbilt and Western Star chassis, instead of the more plebian F650.

haven

Expedition Leader
Jay Shapiro's Eco-Roamer is similar in size to the new XV-HD, and a bit heavier.

I can see oil company exploration teams using the HD model as a mobile office and bunk house.

haven

Expedition Leader
Bill Swails asked me to update the XV-HD photo above with a new one that is more accurately to scale. Bill said, "This photo accurately represents a 32 foot long, 248 inch wheelbase, 138.4 cab to axle, 13.6 foot tall, Crew Cab F-650 based EarthRoamer XV-HD."

camperman

Observer
OMG!!!!! I think that beast bigger than Unicat :Wow1: And new site is very good. I like that style. Earthroamer, you are the best company for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles