EarthRoamer Cost?

Scott Brady

Founder
Now Unfortunately while EarthRoamers may not be abundant the Used Market has shown their REAL value. They just don't hold it. Their values drop like a rock. Why do people buy them and then try to get out from underneath them here on the Portal? Impulse buy of the worst kind is all I can figure.

This is also not correct, at least not historically. EarthRoamers have historically held their value quite well, primarily because of rarity and an increasing MSRP (i.e., the prices continued to rise, propping up older ones with it). In today's economy, many luxury goods are on a fire sale. Great time to buy, your Rolex excluded (nice watch, the dateless sub is my favorite Rolex, and though I have not spent my money on expensive watches, I can appreciate why someone would)

The two ERs on this site are being sold by a leasing company.

kjp1969

Explorer
If I am going to buy something I look at its resale value and what it will be worth when my patience/attention is through with it. Let me go ahead and point out the flaws in your argument...

Edit to remove my brilliant, point by point rebuttal of your argument. It was epic, trust me.

Reason for editing: I'm just being a jerk today. Sorry about that. I blame sleep deprivation and overwork. I could edit my last post, but I'll leave it up as evidence of my crankyness, and as a reminder to myself not to be a jerk any more.

My only valid point is this: You have never seen an Earthroamer, so when you say that its not worth the sale price, you're guessing a little bit. Is that reasonable?

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
LoL... I love a good thread to get the juices going. I have to go to work now, you know Walmart never closes!

That was an epic post Scott... :Wow1:

~James

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wow, how bout this, I give you a little insight about my line of work and then you can criticize all you want. I evaluate what things are worth. For Insurance Companies. For a Living.

If I am going to buy something I look at its resale value and what it will be worth when my patience/attention is through with it. Let me go ahead and point out the flaws in your argument...

I have a Rolex on my wrist at this very moment. A special one at that, a 50th Edition Rolex Submariner. Green Bezel with a Black Face. A watch that you don't see everyday, and good money was paid for it. And I guarantee you to replace this watch today on the USED market, it would cost $2500 more than when I bought it. I will tell you right now that my Luminox keeps better time but that is not why I have the Rolex now is it? Appreciation in an INVESTMENT is in no way comparable to a vehicle that will DEPRECIATE and the fact that you felt it necessary to bring it up in this thread just goes to show your very ignorance in the manor of things that are slightly more expensive. Also while you are at it leave out Fine Wines that have been kept at the right temperature and out of sunlight, Cuban Cigars in a Humidor (There is an embargo for Christ's Sake you can't get them!) and Certain Classic Guitars and Cars. They are investments that payoff because of their Rarity.

Now Unfortunately while EarthRoamers may not be abundant the Used Market has shown their REAL value. They just don't hold it. Their values drop like a rock. Why do people buy them and then try to get out from underneath them here on the Portal? Impulse buy of the worst kind is all I can figure.

As far as your Snap On/Mac/Matco Tools argument, well those tools never depreciate but they also don't appreciate so argument is again, false.

As far as the Boob Job goes, Well I can't purchase used ********** so I have to agree with you, no clue if it is worth while. :victory:

I just got rearended in my '06 F-150. I got two body shop quotes. Lady who sits at a desk somewhere on the other end of the phone line working for the insurance company tells me that both qoutes are too high, so she will send me a check for the "proper" amount...quite a bit less than either quote.

I ask her what am I to do when I bring that lite check to the body shop and it doesn't cover the cost that we already knew was going to be higher?

After a few seconds of silence I get the big "This is what I do all day, I know what i'm doing" from the lady sitting at the desk.

"OK, who's left holding the bag when the body shop guy tells me "hey, I gave you a quote telling you how much it was going to cost, why did you bring such a small check? Why do you listen to lady sitting at the desk? Maybe you should let her fix your truck."

Dude, I wouldn't be bragging about working for an insurance company, and making so much money by ripping off guys like me all day long that you can buy a Rolex, then rippin on Earth roamer's for costing so much.

Aggie

Adventurer
Dude, I wouldn't be bragging about working for an insurance company, and making so much money by ripping off guys like me all day long that you can buy a Rolex, then rippin on Earth roamer's for costing so much.

Our company is an Independent Evaluation company of Personal Property. I am sorry you had a bad experience with your insurance company. Maybe next time you should seek legal counsel with your problems instead of trying to prove me wrong. Adjusters are just doing their job, but some of them can be a little uppity. You should research what your rights are... :)

Cody1771

Explorer
I agree whith what Aggie has stated. she put it in a way that is easy to understand and that makes sence. in my opinion the earthroamers are not overpriced, and worth the price tag if being used what they where intended for. but all to often these days what you see is that Joe Shmoe has taken is 89 Jeep charokee and had some 4x4 shop do $30k in upgrades like 4 link suspension ect. then found out the truck isnt as cool as he'd like, then trys to flip the thing for $35k trying to make his money back. when in reality he might be lucky to get 10k for the rig. i have seen this personaly. i dont feel this is the issue with the earthroamers though. if i had 150k to drop on a rig i would definatly consider one of these. but i dont. and never will. but i still dont considered them overprice, just as i dont consider a 1968 Shelby GT500 going on ebay for 200g+ over priced. as long as its not a knock off ;)

Aggie

Adventurer
Yeah...like the right to be dropped from your insurance after raising too many questions...:sombrero:

Guilty! I took my beat up FJ Cruiser into the shop and filed a claim and had it fixed before they could get an adjuster out to look at the vehicle. About $6,000 worht of body work accumulated from 2 years of Off Roading it hard. About 3 months later I got a letter from State Farm saying that since I was using my vehicles for Off Road use they would be electing NOT to renew my insurance in 2 months. Oh well I shopped around and found better prices with Travelers. :wings:

I agree whith what Aggie has stated. she put it in a way that is easy to understand and that makes sence. in my opinion the earthroamers are not overpriced, and worth the price tag if being used what they where intended for. but all to often these days what you see is that Joe Shmoe has taken is 89 Jeep charokee and had some 4x4 shop do $30k in upgrades like 4 link suspension ect. then found out the truck isnt as cool as he'd like, then trys to flip the thing for $35k trying to make his money back. when in reality he might be lucky to get 10k for the rig. i have seen this personaly. i dont feel this is the issue with the earthroamers though. if i had 150k to drop on a rig i would definatly consider one of these. but i dont. and never will. but i still dont considered them overprice, just as i dont consider a 1968 Shelby GT500 going on ebay for 200g+ over priced. as long as its not a knock off ;)

SHE? SHE??? Those crazy Canucks have no clue what an Aggie is. :costumed-smiley-007

Senor

Earthroamer charges $8,500 for the tricoat platinum white paint option for the Ford F550. Ford charges $550. Quite a profit just on paint.

Zybane

Earthroamer charges $8,500 for the tricoat platinum white paint option for the Ford F550. Ford charges $550. Quite a profit just on paint.

Are you sure they don't mean they paint the cabin tricoat white to match the truck for $8500?

But it was interesting reading this thread about $160K Earthroamers from 2009. Now they are half a million with a few options. Still a F550 with the same monocoque fibreglass camper shell. $160K in 2009 is $187K in 2018. Surely the new ER's have some upgraded system, but $300K? Ya not so much.

More power to them if their order queue is full of rich folks, but there is no denying there is massive profits in a small fiberglass cabin for $400K.

pnichols

The main problem with Earthroamers used (only) in the U.S. is ... where and when are ya gonna use it to it's fullest?

We take our 2WD 24 foot E450 Class C non-slide motorhome with oversize tires out in the middle of nowhere (in dry weather) right here in the good old American West ... no Earthroamer required. Our 45 gallons of fresh water, 18 gallons of propane, 55 gallons of gas, 39 gallons of black, 29 gallons of grey, AGM deep cycle batteries, two generators, 130 amp alternator, decent turning radius, 5-speed (with 6 internal ratios available) transmission, over 2000 lbs. of additional weight carrying capacity, and 4:56 differential are all we need for reliability, ruggedness, and complete comfort way out there. We paid a heavily discounted $53K for it new in 2006 and would be lucky to get $30K for it now ... but it's value to us is head and shoulders above what an Earthroamer's value to us would be.

HOWEVER ... an Earthroamer would definitely be superior in wet weather way out there or in Siberia way out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke