EarthRoamer Cost?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
EDIT: I created a new thread here to continue the discussion regarding the price of an ER, and remove it from a for sale thread. SB

Dang. If only they were $150,000.00, I would buy one.

Nice trucks but geez. Thats expensive.

~James :Wow1:

Last edited by a moderator:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yes, $150k is expensive, but remember these are classified as RV's and can be financed as such...

As of today, BOA is advertising an RV loan rate of 240mo/7.75%

Calculate that out and a payment on $150k RV would be $1231. Yea, thats a 20 year term, and the truck won't be worth 20% of its current value at that point, but you can see how people are doing this. Its basically a second mortgage on an item that has no investment value....

Spence

I think this is the same phenomena that keeps the used Sportsmobile market artificially high. People who financed these $100k Ford vans as RVs who are obligated to try to recover $60k+ if they're going to sell them so as not to be underwater...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Nice trucks but geez. Thats expensive.

It's a slow day here, so I'm gonna make an observation . . .

The perception of being "overpriced" is something the EarthRoamer company owners have fought against since Day One. I vividly remember the hour or so I spent with Bill and Michele at the Salem (OR) Fall RV show not long after XV-LT production started . . . if I'd received a nickel that day for each attendee I overheard saying to another, "Who would pay for one of these when you can have that 36-foot Bounder (parked ten feet away) for $20K less," I'd have had enough money to buy the ER. :)

I know a little about the topic, and my guess is that one could not buy the component parts in an EarthRoamer XV-LT for much less than this blow-out price, and that a year or two of normal "free" time wouldn't be enough to put everything together.

The point being, it's easy--and highly sensible--to say that no luxury overlander is worth $160K given the several dozen alternatives that will take you on an expedition for a much lower investment. However, if you look at what it involves to build an XV-LT--including the engineering, labor, overhead, chassis, suspension/wheels/tires, molded composite cabin and a truckload of marine-quality components--the normal asking price is not absurd and the price Scott cited as "aggressive" is a considerable bargain. (And if you doubt that, contact Darrin Fink or Thomas Ritter to see what they'd charge to build something similar.)

The value of everything varies in people's eyes, and quarter-million dollar overland trucks aren't conceptually different than thousand-dollar bottles of wine, $15K German Shepherds or $50K postage stamps. To some quite small number of people, it's a worthwhile thing to spend money on; to the vast majority, it's not. Makes perfect sense.

Note: As we're busily disassembling my cut-rate XV-JP, I've gotten a better idea of where the money goes than I had when I bought it. You might not share the designers' opinion of what was worth the big bucks--I certainly didn't--but you do get an idea of why the ERs might cost what they do.

kjp1969

Explorer
Note: As we're busily disassembling my cut-rate XV-JP, I've gotten a better idea of where the money goes than I had when I bought it. You might not share the designers' opinion of what was worth the big bucks--I certainly didn't--but you do get an idea of why the ERs might cost what they do.

You're disassembling your XV-JP? :Wow1:

Back on topic (well, not really) I happen to own a 2004 Keystone Outback 23 foot travel trailer. It's exactly the kind of budget camper construction that most people compare to an ER, and its quite frankly a hunk of junk by comparison to a high end unit like an airstream trailer. On an Outback message board that I used to frequent, everyone liked to make fun of a factory full of Gilligan's (as in Gilligan's island) that must have assembled them. Poke around a mass produced camper and you'll see what I mean.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
The perception of being "overpriced" is something the EarthRoamer company owners have fought against since Day One. [/I]

I certainly didn't want to express a lack of appreciation for the product which ER provides. I am WELL aware of how much work goes into the complete "system" and think that they are probably under priced if you consider both the amount of labor which goes into assembly of each unit, AND the R&D which got them to where they are today. I do believe that all vehicles depreciate rapidly, and aside from a few choice Muscle cars from the early 70's, nobody makes their money back when it is time to part ways. Taking a dig on a $30k truck is one thing, trying to make back a loss of $50k on a $160k rig is another thing entirely. This depreciation is no fault of ER, and frankly I'm sure one of their rigs holds value much better than an equivalent Class A Coach, but still....losing money is losing money. This was my only point.

If I won the megabucks, I'd certainly own one, regardless of resale value!

Spence

andyrad

Adventurer
Mike, I'm on your side on this one. If you do the math, considering you had a 20K down payment and financed the balance at 7% for 20 years, you would end up paying $280,500.44 in total. No tax though. Considering that a comparable $250,000 luxury motor home would get hung up on a big speed bump and begin to fall to pieces after 500 miles of backroads, if you dared take it there, the Earthroamers are a worthwhile buy. Just don't finance the thing or you're a freakin idiot. That same statement goes for the 250K luxury motor home.

It all boils down to what type of travel you want to do and what level of durability you want or need. The key to a mega bucks expedition vehicle is to have the cash in hand to do it, which a lot of us don't and just wish we did, myself being one of them. If I was looking for a great expedition ready rig and had the cash I would probably look at your product. One would pay dearly for a used 'Mog that was built up so here you have brand new.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I don't think anyone said they are overpriced. Just expensive.
I might have been able to sell my house for that, once upon a time /sigh

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike is modifying his ER Jeep :D in a big way....
There's more to it, but the short story is that the giant XV-JP roof tent wasn't a workable idea in Oregon where, for most of the year, there was no way to ever get the thing to dry out. My XV-JP is being "remodeled" in a way that doesn't have the tent.

They'll be more information forthcoming once the new systems work and I'm sure I haven't toasted a perfectly functional, really expensive vehicle.

Scott . . . I've got a schedule conflict that precludes the ER Rally . . . not to mention an EarthRoamer too destroyed (temporarily, one hopes) to be seen in public. :)

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the inspiration for Mike's XV-JP tent replacement:

pc-guppy.JPG

:victory:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I figure my statement would ruffle the feathers of some, but I kept it civil in my opinion. Bottom line line is, you cant argue with someone's perception.

The trucks are expensive. I don't know if they are 'overpriced' or not, and frankly have no reason to care since I wont be affording one any time soon. If your idea of an expedition vehicle is a $160,000.00 Earth Roamer, that's awesome. Its just not my thing, that's all. That might be different if I could afford it, or maybe not.

Good luck to the sellers, and prospective buyers.

~James

I thought this was the "for sale" department, not the "let's dump on expensive vehicles" department. I'm really tired of constantly reading discussions regarding the high price of upper-tier expo vehicles and the poor judgement of people who would spend so much to buy them.
Perhaps discussions of this sort should not be in the For Sale department, it's really thread hijacking of the highest order.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz