Earth-cruiser NPR 4WD drivetrain issues?

DzlToy

Explorer
I have ridden in and drive several professionally converted NPR trucks, from different "shops". There wasn't a single drive shaft vibration or steering issue. The truck drove and road much better than stock, in every aspect of the word.

CORE has its own way of doing a conversion, which seemingly needs some improvement or adjustment based on what I have seen and heard. It is astonishing to me that quite a few "high end" expo rigs have proven to be quite unreliable and/or poorly finished, yet the ones that were done by meticulous mom and pop shops, ride, drive, articulate, steer and crawl quite well. A factory Fuso FG does none of these things well, IMO. I know they are 'popular" in Oz, but this does not mean that the gearing is proper, the ride is comfortable, etc.

Not a single customer of the shop out putting 'properly' converted NPRs has had to make a single change to "fix" something on a converted truck, on their own dime or on the dime of the shop.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I have ridden in and drive several professionally converted NPR trucks, from different "shops". There wasn't a single drive shaft vibration or steering issue. The truck drove and road much better than stock, in every aspect of the word.

CORE has its own way of doing a conversion, which seemingly needs some improvement or adjustment based on what I have seen and heard. It is astonishing to me that quite a few "high end" expo rigs have proven to be quite unreliable and/or poorly finished, yet the ones that were done by meticulous mom and pop shops, ride, drive, articulate, steer and crawl quite well. A factory Fuso FG does none of these things well, IMO. I know they are 'popular" in Oz, but this does not mean that the gearing is proper, the ride is comfortable, etc.

Not a single customer of the shop out putting 'properly' converted NPRs has had to make a single change to "fix" something on a converted truck, on their own dime or on the dime of the shop.

Assuming you're talking about AngryIron as one shop, I wonder if Rebel is also in your list?

DzlToy

Explorer
I don't want to hijack the thread, but you are on the right track. I have not driven the Rebel truck, but I have seen it at SEMA and can say it was very well constructed. I have driven several Fuso-based Earth Cruiser-built trucks, but not within the last few years. I would expect that quality would get better and better over time, not worse or stagnant, certainly as prices have risen sharply.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I don't want to hijack the thread, but you are on the right track. I have not driven the Rebel truck, but I have seen it at SEMA and can say it was very well constructed. I have driven several Fuso-based Earth Cruiser-built trucks, but not within the last few years. I would expect that quality would get better and better over time, not worse or stagnant, certainly as prices have risen sharply.

Rebel truck was for sale awhile back; wonder where it went to.

So you haven't driven EC's Dynatrac-axle'd CORE models?

DzlToy

Explorer
So you haven't driven EC's Dynatrac-axle'd CORE models?

Correct, only other conversions with Dynatrac axles and EC FG trucks with Radflo suspension. I am happy to take a spin and write a review if you are offering a ride. ;-)

Has EC/Core undertaken a re-design? It seems to me this would have all been worked out in CAD/FEA and/or real world testing, these drive line issues.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Correct, only other conversions with Dynatrac axles and EC FG trucks with Radflo suspension. I am happy to take a spin and write a review if you are offering a ride. ;-)

Has EC/Core undertaken a re-design? It seems to me this would have all been worked out in CAD/FEA and/or real world testing, these drive line issues.

Contact CORE_vehicles here, they seem to be interested in offering an experience in one of their/EC rigs.

I'm not sure if EC/Core has re-designed from their initial design (which are the ones I've heard from direct owners had the problems).

Zuber

Factory FG 4x4 isn't a "4WD conversion."

Sidenote; What didn't you like about your '14 Wrangler?

It's a Jeep thing means you'll put up with huge design and quality issues. This JK sold for about the same price as my 2013 RAM Cummins. The RAM was a modern vehicle. The Jeep felt like is was a 20 years older design. At 40k, after ball joints and radiator, the final jeep kill was the un-fixable leaky hardtop roof and un-fixable steering.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
***OFF EC TOPIC***

It's a Jeep thing means you'll put up with huge design and quality issues. This JK sold for about the same price as my 2013 RAM Cummins. The RAM was a modern vehicle. The Jeep felt like is was a 20 years older design. At 40k, after ball joints and radiator, the final jeep kill was the un-fixable leaky hardtop roof and un-fixable steering.
So, get a '21 PowerWagon instead of a '21 Gladiator?

DzlToy,
I am happy to provide a test drive anytime you come through Bend.
Our Core models use Fusion Axles, not Dynatrac. Both Dynatrac and Fusion are awesome companies and make great products. The Current Core Chassis is build on the Isuzu NPR or Chevy LCF chassis.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
DzlToy,
I am happy to provide a test drive anytime you come through Bend.
Our Core models use Fusion Axles, not Dynatrac. Both Dynatrac and Fusion are awesome companies and make great products. The Current Core Chassis is build on the Isuzu NPR or Chevy LCF chassis.

I thought early articles, found here on ExPo, stated that EC/CORE were using Dynatrac axles?
Who is Fusion? Never heard of them.
Still using Hero t-cases?
Available diff lockers front and rear?

Any advantage to an NPR vs the LCF? Just aesthetics for grille/badging/etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior