Early Bronco Expo Trailer Build

RTT..!!

Not too bad I guess, 2 hours to install the RTT and set it up the first time. Considering there were no directions (wouldn't matter, I never read those things anyway), and my wife was helping me (please hand me the clicky thing and the screwdriver that is pokey like a knife, then hold this...), I was happy with how it went together! :luxhello:

IMG_7489_zps27c33fcd.jpg

IMG_7486_zps5f22af78.jpg

Gotta throw the tonneau back on, then figure out a rack lift assist method. I have two 150lb gas struts that I think might come in handy for that.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice build. Hope to see a report of its maiden voyage. Am going to be looking at the picknpulls for a pu bed now.

Well, the trailer has been on two trips so far and is headed out on a third this coming weekend. Not much I would change really, it works damn near perfectly as it is!

Still working on my Jerry can mounts, and planning for a battery install with LED lights and cell charger ports in the tent. Probably will paint it this winter, although the rattle can camo idea is growing on me :)

400 mile trip behind the Bronco:
91A3B945-16D7-4ED2-9511-6D6471FCB958-760-000000C67C261C97_zps24121043.jpg

IMG_7491_zps096cc83e.jpg

700 mile trip behind the F150:
IMG_7521_zps064b3b58.jpg

IMG_7524_zps2913d5f8.jpg

This weekend's trip will be a shorter Bronco run, but with much more off-road running. Good times!!

Last edited:

jaxonm

Observer
This is a great build. Very inspiring.

How stable do you find the tent when the rack in the up position? Would you add any diagonal braces to stabilize?

Did you ever get the gas struts in for the rack lift? Would love to see video of the tent rack being deployed if you have.

Thanks!

INSAYN

Adventurer
That is sick!

Love how you move the tent up and forward leaving the trailer bed accessible. Great design on a nice compact rig.

This is a great build. Very inspiring.

How stable do you find the tent when the rack in the up position? Would you add any diagonal braces to stabilize?

Did you ever get the gas struts in for the rack lift? Would love to see video of the tent rack being deployed if you have.

Thanks!

It's actually quite stable - pinning the forward vertical legs to the lower rack sidebar puts them in bending and stabilizes things quite well. I had thought a diagonal would be needed, but have decided not to do so now. We've spent several nights in it with no worries.

I did install two gas struts, 150 lb force each, on the rear legs pushing up and forward. You can see them in one of the recent pic's I posted with it behind the Bronco. To raise the rack, you just remove the two pins that lock it down, jump up on the trailer tongue, and pull up and forward on the rack. Takes maybe 40 or 50 lbs of force to start it upward, and the the gas struts take over and raise it all the way. Pinning the forward legs with the same pins used to lock it down locks it into position. To lower it, you just reverse the procedure - pull the pins, jump up onto the trailer tongue, and push it rearward. Once you've pushed it off top dead center, it goes down by itself and can be pinned in the down position.

If I wasn't 6'+ tall and pretty strong, it might be more of a chore. Certainly the design could be improved with an electric actuator or air cylinders, but it works for me now. Maybe when I get older and weaker (it's happening already!) I'll change it to be a bit less of a chore?

Thanks for checking it out! Anyone who wants to copy all or part of my design can feel free to do so.

jaxonm

Observer
It's actually quite stable - pinning the forward vertical legs to the lower rack sidebar puts them in bending and stabilizes things quite well. I had thought a diagonal would be needed, but have decided not to do so now. We've spent several nights in it with no worries.

I did install two gas struts, 150 lb force each, on the rear legs pushing up and forward. You can see them in one of the recent pic's I posted with it behind the Bronco. To raise the rack, you just remove the two pins that lock it down, jump up on the trailer tongue, and pull up and forward on the rack. Takes maybe 40 or 50 lbs of force to start it upward, and the the gas struts take over and raise it all the way. Pinning the forward legs with the same pins used to lock it down locks it into position. To lower it, you just reverse the procedure - pull the pins, jump up onto the trailer tongue, and push it rearward. Once you've pushed it off top dead center, it goes down by itself and can be pinned in the down position.

If I wasn't 6'+ tall and pretty strong, it might be more of a chore. Certainly the design could be improved with an electric actuator or air cylinders, but it works for me now. Maybe when I get older and weaker (it's happening already!) I'll change it to be a bit less of a chore?

Thanks for checking it out! Anyone who wants to copy all or part of my design can feel free to do so.

This is great! Just a couple more questions, if I may.

What material are you using for the uprights? It looks like 1x1 fairly heavy wall, but it's difficult to tell.

Second, what material are you using for the trailer tongue? I'm curious what the dimensions and wall thickness are to support that length.

Thanks!
Jaxon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier