Early Bronco Expo Trailer Build

I've been tinkering with building an off-road camping tent trailer for use behind my early Bronco for several months now. It isn't done yet, but I've made enough progress to start a build thread and post a few pictures. First, a shot of my tow vehicle - a 1975 Bronco with countless goodies (lifted, locked, extended radius arms, discs, lots engine work, lined tub, etc):
IMG_2944_zpsa8ce4799.jpg

I wanted to build a trailer that matched the Bronco body lines, but didn't have ready access to a Bronco tub. Knowing the '64 through '66 pickup boxes shared the same lines, I found a '64 F100 LWB donor vehicle on CL. After dragging it home, the bed came off:
IMG_6929_zpsc3c55bdf.jpg

IMG_6937_zps321680ba.jpg

To match the size of the Bronco tub, I split the pickup bed lengthwise and narrowed it 9", then shortened it 24" to become a 72" long by 56" wide (inside dimensions) bed:
IMG_7276_zps0102b918.jpg

IMG_7289_zps879baa7e.jpg

IMG_7292_zpsa8a6bb8f.jpg

Previously, I had fabbed up a 2x2 square tube frame with a 3" square tube tongue. I had some old front leaf springs from an F350 Power Stroke laying around, and stripped them down to just the main leaf. After narrowing up a 3,500 lb Dexter axle (with 5x5.5" hubs to match the Bronco), I build spring hangers and put it all together with a set of Wild Horses Gorilla WarFlares like my Bronco. I have since replaced the drop axle with a straight axle for ground clearance and to match the height of the Bronco.
IMG_7265_zps77e2cf1a.jpg

IMG_7306_zpsb77cb0f3.jpg

IMG_1469_zps31d4f525.jpg

IMG_7410_zpsd1cc547a.jpg

I found a Bronco tailgate, which has the FORD embossed to one side, rather than across the entire width as the truck tailgates are. A bit of slicing/dicing was required to make it all work out, but I got it. I also wanted a hard tonneau cover, above which will be a rack with my CVT RTT. A trip to the wrecking yard with a generator and sheet metal nibbler yielded the entire roof and bows from an '89 Ford van. I built a frame from 3/4" angle, inserted the bows for support, and then skinned it with the van roof:
IMG_7430_zps1715aee6.jpg

IMG_1698_zps49c05d1d.jpg

IMG_7440_zpse8fa614a.jpg

IMG_7441_zps616c8deb.jpg

IMG_7434_zpsb01fe354.jpg

Still have TONS of work to do, including close off the back of the tonneau, seal the tailgate, install shocks, install my brakes, build a height-adjustable RTT rack, tongue box, articulated hitch coupler, interior lighting and all wiring, stabilizers, rear bumper (original Bronco), strip and paint to match my Bronco, etc...

More updates to come as I get more done. My goal is to have it at least functional, if not totally complete, by early August.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Nice Bronco and some great fab work. Most likely not possible with out the great help you have. Anxious to see this develop.

yj-hank

Observer
Really like the bronco and great job on the trailer. Very cool project and I will be keeping track of this thread.

Hank

njtacoma

Explorer
I read the title and thought to myself, I hope he uses a truck bed instead of a Bronco, so much easier to start with.

Looks really nice, I always wanted to do this with my Bronco, but sold it before the work could begin.

Good Job, great skills and thinking with the van roof.

Box Rocket

Uber cool! I love when trailer are built to match the tow rig. Great way to reuse that pickup bed. I don't think I'd have realized the body lines were so much the same as the bronco. Great stuff.

Thanks for all the compliments! I got out to the shop for a bit this morning - installed the shocks and rear bumper. Did some design work on the RTT rack (in my head). Still lots to do!

u8uhunyb.jpg

7yvydysu.jpg

Sent from my fart smone using crapatalk

toddz69

Explorer
Looking good! Reminds me a lot of my buddy's EB trailer build with a modified Flippac on it. He used a pickup bed and has almost identical dimensions as yours and the colors appear to be almost identical as well.

Todd Z.

IMG_2821.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94