earl back country survival pad

Has anyone seen this
https://www.meetearl.com

it looks very cool has maps included and solar charging seem like to s made to order but before spend my hard earned $$$ I wan to know what the more knowledgable people ( than me almost all of you) think of this.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Vaporware. NONE have ever been shipped out. As with a lot of these crowdfunded things, I am guessing the "creator" has a nice big bank account with no product ever being been designed in the beginning. He "grabbed" almost a million dollars. And ran. I would NEVER give any money to any of these projects.

kojackJKU

Yes the concept was awesome. enough to sucker people out of 3/4 of a million dollars. Not responding to emails now, or anything. SCAMMER all the way from the beginning. Just like the guys who invented the Kryos (sp.) smartwatch, they got millions and started posting up lavish trips, buying a Ferrari with 2 handfuls of 100s. More or less taunting the crowdfunders. SUCKERS.

NEVER crowdfund anything. If I cannot order from a reptutable store, or site. I am not wasting my hard earned money.

robgendreau

Explorer
There's a thread about it here somewhere. Surprised the website is still up.

I doubt it was a scam. There's even an April 2015 update. But the guy obviously was like some sort of gearhead here, but with no practical experience in the field, and obviously way outta his league. I was grimacing reading about the FCC stuff, since I thought it was harebrained to even think about including a radio (and I think it might have even been contemplated to put a 2M amateur radio in...sheesh). By now much of the tech is obsolete anyway. And now this:

The idea is simple, a basic unit with gps and environmental/locational sensors with a removable radio module. This would allow us to certify the module once and not worry about future design changes on our device. A detachable solar panel with second battery would allow for charging while the device is in use, also mitigating heat issues with the core system. Modules give users a choice in the features they need and/or want depending on the occasion. The modular port would support Earl’s walkie talkie, AM/SW/LW radio and anemometer. Trying to fit everything while keeping the device functional is challenging. We discussed similar solutions with Onyx in the past, but Netronix was proactive and suggested this solution from the start.​

So now it's back to a tablet, a radio, a thermometer, and a solar panel. In "modules," which begs the question why you should just buy these separately as they'd be cheaper, more robust, most usuable, and more reliable. I dunno why anyone would find a mashup of these attractive. Although I guess $700K worth of folks did.

kojackJKU

If it was not a scam, why not refund everynone who is asking for them? the last word from the "earl guy" was in oct 2014. There are many people in their forum screaming for a refund. I think he took advantage right away.

robgendreau

Explorer
If it was not a scam, why not refund everynone who is asking for them? the last word from the "earl guy" was in oct 2014. There are many people in their forum screaming for a refund. I think he took advantage right away.

That quote of mine was from the website, as of April 2015; http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

And I don't think "investing" in Kickstarter efforts gets you a refund, which is why, as noted above, plunking down money for them is a risky endeavor. More like a donation in blind hope you'll get something out of it.

An interesting compare and contrast is TriggerTrap, an established company that makes a camera dongle for remote control, who tried a Kickstarter for new modules that failed. You can read about it here: http://petapixel.com/2015/03/02/tri...arly-500k-for-the-ada-modular-camera-trigger/ At least donors got something back.

kojackJKU

So your part of the earl team robgendreau? If so, it was told to the kickstarters that if they wanted a refund, it would be supplied to them. Again, We will never meet earl, and the "creators" are approx. 700k richer. Good job! having web "updates" mean nothing. Acutal progress means something.

RobRed

Explorer
I've invested in crowd funding projects many times and been pleased with the products I've received. There is no guarantee so do your due diligence.

Some times these things are difficult. The Earl people probably had good intentions at the start, ran into problems (China, FCC etc), burned through the cash and here we are. This type of project is extremely difficult and as such I would expect more failures than successes. Check out all the problems the Neptune Pine people ran into - they finally got the product out but too late for critical mass.

Kickstarter doesn't provide refunds they collect fees on the donations. Once the threshold is met for backers and the project is funded the money is sent. You should always treat any crowd fund as an at risk venture in a start up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier