E99 Ford 7.3 ZF6 Build Log - "Daisy"

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
Time for a long overdue update. I completed the axle swap as well as a few other mods over the summer and have been enjoying the Carli suspension for the few months.

The truck right before going under the knife in July
tumblr_oywzusbq8d1wh0r2mo3_400.jpg

"New" freshened up '06 rear axle with OEM Ford aluminum diff cover
tumblr_oywzusbq8d1wh0r2mo1_540.jpg

tumblr_oywzusbq8d1wh0r2mo2_540.jpg

The old:
tumblr_oywzxiKEhS1wh0r2mo1_540.jpg

And the new:
tumblr_oywzxiKEhS1wh0r2mo2_400.jpg

More incoming.

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
I opted for the 4.5" Carli Starter Kit with Deaver mini packs for the rear. Farther down the road and after I land on a final ride height I will upgrade shocks and may swap to the 08+ rear leafs but I am very happy with the ride as it is post-swap.

Rear swap done, front still on X-code leaf springs with 2" mini pack. 35" tires all the way around but the 18" rims on the rear are needed for larger brake clearance.
tumblr_oywzxiKEhS1wh0r2mo3_400.jpg

Front axle ready for prep
tumblr_oywzxiKEhS1wh0r2mo5_400.jpg

Last look at the D50
tumblr_oywzusbq8d1wh0r2mo4_400.jpg

Going together (No coil spacer, the coils are uncompressed and about to be seated in the buckets)
tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo1_540.jpg

And the first drive:
tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo2_1280.jpg

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
De-molded the truck and finished up loose ends on the swap:
tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo5_1280.jpg

I was shopping for 37's to run on stock or close to stock rims but found a deal on 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's on 20x12 Fuel Hostages so decided to give them a shot. After burning some rubber off these tires I will be looking to replace them with a 37x14.50 all terrain of some sort.

tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyx10fG0jM1wh0r2mo7_1280.jpg

I am extremely happy with the Carli suspension components and the coil swap in general. The truck cruises nicely on highway or washboard dirt road and stops far better than it ever did on the old axles. The peace of mind having the beefier D60 hanging under the truck is a bonus as well.

tkrrox

How much work was the axle swap? I have a 01 that I’ve been thinking about doing it to. Did you gain turning radius also? My 06 turns so much better than my 01 (my biggest reason for wanting the swap) I wheel my 01 pretty regularly with 35” and 4.30 gears with no issues on the front. Of course the front end is open and the rear had a Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
It is a good amount of work but nothing too complex. Having a complete donor truck helps but removing the coil buckets and radius arm brackets is a chore. My method for removing the rivets was to slice a cross in the accessible head of each rivet, then knock the heads off with an air chisel and press each part off with a bottle jack. Other than that, it is mostly just nuts and bolts and drilling holes. A surprising number of holes are already there on the old frames, each piece should have at least a few bolts line up except the track bar bracket. On my truck, the transmission cross member needed slight clearancing on the driver side to clear the Carli radius arm drop bracket but that may be because my truck is a manual.

The turning radius definitely improved, and the truck will clear 35's lock to lock on stock rims, which I could never do with leaf springs. However, I haven't strung out a tape and driven in circles to see what the actual difference is. The most noticeable improvement for me was ride quality, followed by braking and steering.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The super 60 is a monster of an axle compared to the older D60s as well. Absolute beef.
Monster brakes and considerably tighter turning radius is nice too. :)

Quick warning for the coil sprung D60 though, they are super sensitive to steering component wear.
Something as simply as a sloppy tie rod can induce some nasty wobble.

Also, when you get it aligned, aim for 4-5 degrees of caster.

tkrrox

The super 60 is a monster of an axle compared to the older D60s as well. Absolute beef.
Monster brakes and considerably tighter turning radius is nice too. :)

Quick warning for the coil sprung D60 though, they are super sensitive to steering component wear.
Something as simply as a sloppy tie rod can induce some nasty wobble.

Also, when you get it aligned, aim for 4-5 degrees of caster.

Yes on my 06 I put relocation brackets at frame to get better #’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Betarocker

Adventurer
I used One Up Offroad Adjustable Link Arms and Icon Radius Arm Drop Brackets.

519_OUO_ALA_.jpg

Easy to get caster perfect, as well as move the axle forward or rearward.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
While nice, they are also expensive and not needed for a near stock ride height.

If running a big lift, by all means, you need adjustable arms.

But keeping it near stock height, as in 2" or lift/leveling or less, you can get it within spec with nothing more than $50 or so in caster/camber bushings. :ylsmoke:

Betarocker

Adventurer
While nice, they are also expensive and not needed for a near stock ride height.

If running a big lift, by all means, you need adjustable arms.

But keeping it near stock height, as in 2" or lift/leveling or less, you can get it within spec with nothing more than $50 or so in caster/camber bushings. :ylsmoke:

One other advantage of the OUO ALAs is they allow for more axle movement due to the high misalignment rod end on the frame mount, compared to the low movement OEM bushing.

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
Well, might as well resurrect this thread from the dead and give an update. After a year on the Carli suspension, I have to say the axle swap is the best thing I've done to this truck. Also, I'm really getting my money's worth out of the cheap set of used Toyo M/T's I picked up last year. Still keeping an eye out for another bargain on tires I like.

Just hit 330k miles and the truck still runs like a top and does anything I ask it to. Snagged some poser flex shots on a ranch road since nobody is posting flexy Super Duty pics (come on, let's see 'em :cool:).

I had a 05+ header panel on a parts truck so I figured I might as well finish updating the front of the truck. Ordered some 05 headlights and conversion harnesses, definitely a little brighter than the old fresnel lenses. Also picked up a $10 swap meet set of Hella driving lights like the ones I had but with black housings, so those got swapped as well.IMG_6136.jpg
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6040.jpg
IMG_5987.jpg
IMG_6702.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6700.jpg
    IMG_6700.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads