e61's 2020 Armada/Patrol Y62 Build

e61outside

I like it! Are you going to move your spare up there or use that location for something else?

ps - tip - add some reflectors or lights or something on parts that stick far out because it sucks to ********** your chins on a hitch in the dark, ask me how I know haha.

Thanks. Agree. The hitch will rarely be on there, so not super worried about that one. But the cool thing about that hitch insert is that the ball can rotate forward when not it use. Makes it so much easier to avoid bumping when working in the cargo area.

I am moving the spare up top as soon as I get the matching Method wheel. The plan is to add the table and side-hack with a propane mount. That will be my kitchen. Likely water tank underneath where the spare was previously. TBD

And finally I will add my One-up bike rack to the upper receiver. This setup allows me to keep the bikes on and tow if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e61outside

Photos with the spare installed…
bf7a45e9f4b15091ede665a264268217.jpg

9521b5b9d5923c91a33e56bc60a05ee4.jpg

e94f442c875231e7447e74c96be471a6.jpg

Break n Fix

I wish the armada's ass end was easier to work with like how the patrol is setup. Not a bad solution given our predicaments, but I think I am going to make a new rear cross member and do some sheet metal work on the rear for mine.

Are you going to re-route the backup camera?

e61outside

I wish the armada's ass end was easier to work with like how the patrol is setup. Not a bad solution given our predicaments, but I think I am going to make a new rear cross member and do some sheet metal work on the rear for mine.

Are you going to re-route the backup camera?

So far the backup camera peeks around/through well enough that I don’t feel the need. Maybe if/when I add the table and side hack.

KrymSIX

@e61overland Are you doing anything with the stock LCAs while your swapping springs?

I remember leeleatherwood did a reinforcement around the LCAs on his QX56/80 since the stock ones are a bit flimsier than those on the Patrol.

For whatever reason it seems Nissan opted to keep a mostly similar chassis and frame with a modified tire and rear set up because north American buyers don't like the exposed tailgate hitch. But Nissan also decided to use diffs from previous gen armada and pathfinder rather than the same as the patrol like they randomly decided that slightly less durable equipment would be fine for the NA market. I guess on the upside it's all fairly interchangeable so these weaker points can be upgraded.

e61outside

@e61overland Are you doing anything with the stock LCAs while your swapping springs?

I remember leeleatherwood did a reinforcement around the LCAs on his QX56/80 since the stock ones are a bit flimsier than those on the Patrol.

For whatever reason it seems Nissan opted to keep a mostly similar chassis and frame with a modified tire and rear set up because north American buyers don't like the exposed tailgate hitch. But Nissan also decided to use diffs from previous gen armada and pathfinder rather than the same as the patrol like they randomly decided that slightly less durable equipment would be fine for the NA market. I guess on the upside it's all fairly interchangeable so these weaker points can be upgraded.

Yep, I get the temptation / psychology of seeing the better version out there and defaulting to “needing to upgrade”. I’ve had some thoughts/feelings/fleeting desires to do it. But the reality is that my use case won’t likely exceed the limits of the NA spec components.

Once I get the suspension geometry, alignment, and spring rate sorted for my typical constant load I will put her to the test and see how she does. I’ll upgrade if/when needed. A key consideration is that I don’t “off-road/wheel” in parks or on super challenging trails, so not trying to build something for that. This is mainly a touring/back country camping vehicle build.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Nice progress, be cool to see the Lovells springs all around and how they sit for you.

Not to diss on him or anything, but one thing I noticed right out the gate, is big coil spacer and no bump stop spacer (from what I can tell). If he bottomed out and bound up the coil, before engaging the bump stop, that's a pretty plausible explanation for why and how the arm failed the way it did. It's pretty important to make sure the bump stops stop everything before a shock or spring runs out of travel, especially on a complicated multi-link.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Not to diss on him or anything, but one thing I noticed right out the gate, is big coil spacer and no bump stop spacer (from what I can tell). If he bottomed out and bound up the coil, before engaging the bump stop, that's a pretty plausible explanation for why and how the arm failed the way it did. It's pretty important to make sure the bump stops stop everything before a shock or spring runs out of travel, especially on a complicated multi-link.

Not to mention, I think he was going like 60mph on dirt roads with 37" tires and does a lot of difficult trails so the LCAs might have been weakened before hand. I'd bet on the stock LCAs being fine on easy-moderate trails with 35s unless you really push it. I'm not aware of any reports in the USA of the LCAs bending yet but I do love his solution of welding an extra set on top.

e61outside

Finally installed the springs. I’m very happy with the height and ride quality so far. Feels a tad softer than the Ironman springs, but still much more firm than stock. These springs combined with the foam cell pro shocks and struts make for a great combo. It is more on the cushy and progressive side than my liking. If you’ve ever driven a TRD pro or some other Fox tuned vehicle and like that tune then this is very similar. I prefer the digressive valving in Icon or Falcon personally, so may eventually change to something like that.

This vehicle looks a little saggy in the back by design, but I do have roughly 1/2 inch of thread left on the front strut adjustment. I may play with that to get it looking more level.

And I did not need the offset bushings for the rear UCA now that the truck is only about 2 inches above stock.

Lastly, haven’t reinstalled the front stabilizer bar yet. Still debating. Need to drive some more with this on the highway.

7e0aa749ade221f90328202ef954543d.jpg

14ea39fa678a4cd0f8f69deffb722948.jpg

e61outside

looks a lot better than it did IMO.

Thanks! I drove around town a little more and am really loving how it handles.

PS, for anyone running Ironman or OME or similar lifted springs and need to correct positive rear camber I have an unused set of Ontrack offset bushings for sale. $225 shipped to lower 48.
edc4aff3b86301a153ad6b065c4adc65.jpg

OneTime

Adventurer
So am I to understand a lift solution has been found to just bolt on shocks and springs, keep everything else stock and not have alignment issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94