e61's 2020 Armada/Patrol Y62 Build

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
You could try running without a front sway bar. My car had none, and I've hydraulic body motion control system since it was broken when I bought the car. I'm pretty impressed with how well this big car drives with no sway bars. Can always put it back on if you don't like it, but usually running higher spring rates helps even more with sway.

e61outside

You could try running without a front sway bar. My car had none, and I've hydraulic body motion control system since it was broken when I bought the car. I'm pretty impressed with how well this big car drives with no sway bars. Can always put it back on if you don't like it, but usually running higher spring rates helps even more with sway.

Thanks, I’m definitely considering that option. I went that route with my Tacoma build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRN

Adventurer
Ok, here are some shots with it installed. So far the only suspension components changed here are the front strut and rear shock and coil. This is the Ironman 1.5 inch lift using allegedly the standard spring option here:

We were able to get the front aligned but the rear is still suffering from some positive camber. The result turned out to be more like three inches or more. So as you will see in the pics I’ve decided to order adjustable sway bar end links and Dirt King upper control arms. The UCAs are essentially resting on the spring perch so I have zero down travel at the moment.

I could see this setup potentially only lifting 1.5 inch if I had a LOT of extra weight. Without the weight it rides like an old f350. Total washboard feeling. I wouldn’t recommend it at this point - unless you want/need to lift 3-4 inches and are adding a front and rear bumper plus a heavy drawer system.

203ee49a8f946754bb775e1cbee68239.jpg

8fd288f8a8e05f263f228a717065b51b.jpg

f0a987625aa07262a3938578bc041a7b.jpg

d915c73b503a44282e9e79679d3e98d1.jpg

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I am super happy to finally see some pictures and hear details about the Ironman lift giving people the same issues as my OME lift! :D Confirms my suspicions about the spring and shocks being virtually the same and giving the same amount of lift.

If the stars align, I'll have time to get my Armada into the shop and try to swap out those camber bushings next week. REALLY hoping that will clear up the positive camber issue!

Before I notched my front spring perches and installed the SPC UCA, my front end rode like a truck as well, and it was super sketch to drive. Once all that was done, the ride was actually pretty good. With the Dirt King UCA's I don't think you need to notch the perches, which in hind sight might have been the better bet.

I replaced my sway bar end links with the longer ones from PRG, which took the tension off for sure. But now I have an issue that the sway bar taps the tie rod when I'm turned and going through a bump. Its not bad, and its not causing damage but there is an annoying noise. You may not experience than since you have the lower rate front springs, but I'd be interested to hear. I'm thinking that once I add the weight of a front bumper and winch the suspension will droop a bit more and I won't have the problem.

e61outside

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I am super happy to finally see some pictures and hear details about the Ironman lift giving people the same issues as my OME lift! :D Confirms my suspicions about the spring and shocks being virtually the same and giving the same amount of lift.

If the stars align, I'll have time to get my Armada into the shop and try to swap out those camber bushings next week. REALLY hoping that will clear up the positive camber issue!

Before I notched my front spring perches and installed the SPC UCA, my front end rode like a truck as well, and it was super sketch to drive. Once all that was done, the ride was actually pretty good. With the Dirt King UCA's I don't think you need to notch the perches, which in hind sight might have been the better bet.

I replaced my sway bar end links with the longer ones from PRG, which took the tension off for sure. But now I have an issue that the sway bar taps the tie rod when I'm turned and going through a bump. Its not bad, and its not causing damage but there is an annoying noise. You may not experience than since you have the lower rate front springs, but I'd be interested to hear. I'm thinking that once I add the weight of a front bumper and winch the suspension will droop a bit more and I won't have the problem.

No worries. Thanks for weighing in. Glad I could help. Couple of updates:

After 500 plus miles it’s softened up a bit. Just drove up to Bentonville and it rode quite well on the highway.

I have a set of nisstec end links sitting in a box, but leaning towards removing the front sway bar.

Dirt Kings are still on order. Looking forward to more down travel. I’ll definitely provide an update once those are in.

Definitely feels like adding a few hundred pounds in the front and rear would settle it right down nicely. Maybe won’t need to do anything for the rear camber once the weight is in there.

Also I’m feeling like I should put longer brake lines in front. They are a bit tight.

Planning to hit some off-road trails in the Ozarks this week. That’ll be the first real test.

9a34d142a83a04520f4676e978060ad1.jpg

e61outside

Poked around in the Ozarks just a bit. Was solo with no winch and the bike rack on so I didn’t do too much given these trails are so tight and full of mud pits.

Can’t wait to push it a little harder once I get skids and sliders, but first impressions are really good. Heaps of clearance underneath. Extremely planted. Just rolls with little effort.

Obviously not as capable as my Gladiator Rubicon, but I feel the y62 Armada is a sound alternative to the 200 Series Land Cruiser for folks wanting full sized Japanese on a budget. I just wish there was more aftermarket support in the USA.

Dirt Kings and Nisstec end links going in tomorrow.

171eb46e2a5e4a7fe3b6435aeff4b7fa.jpg

ed0ac2030a9e5abe9744b01b86f89eeb.jpg

efa40787b7dc4d67d09e772855a5b34e.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Nice! I got the same RedArc installed on my 13 QX56.

I'm in the process of increasing aftermarket Y62 support in the USA by importing parts from Australia through my company, Luso Overland. Skids, coils, and poly bushings to start since we already have established relationships with Boo's Bash Plates, Lovells Springs, and PolyTuff bushings. Feel free to get in touch, I'm subscribing to your thread since we're all kind of pioneering the Y62 4x4 in the USA together and all have a lot to learn.

e61outside

Nice! I got the same RedArc installed on my 13 QX56.

I'm in the process of increasing aftermarket Y62 support in the USA by importing parts from Australia through my company, Luso Overland. Skids, coils, and poly bushings to start since we already have established relationships with Boo's Bash Plates, Lovells Springs, and PolyTuff bushings. Feel free to get in touch, I'm subscribing to your thread since we're all kind of pioneering the Y62 4x4 in the USA together and all have a lot to learn.

Awesome! So glad to hear someone is working on growing the US market. IMO it has the potential to outgrow other regions as more and more folks realize this is an excellent platform and way more affordable than the LC 200 or the unobtanium 300 here in the US.

e61outside

Dirt King UCAs in! Massive improvement in the ride. And no need to notch the spring perch. Plenty of clearance. I recommend these over SPC for that reason.

01ab960cbb91e08f9bb3be3ddc0858ab.jpg

e61outside

Cool, how's it drive?

On road - I’d say no more wobbly than stock. Definitely “good enough” to just run without the stabilizer bar given the spring rates and extra dampening I get from the Ironman setup. I might consider putting it back if/when I add a bunch of weight. TBD.

Off road - I have big offset speed bumps leaving my alley that normally cause my head to bang against the window at certain speeds. Totally smooth and level right through them now. Love it. It’s that feeling you get when removing a pair of undies that were just way too tight ;-) now my font side undercarriage is feeling free and loose. Ready to flex.

PS: I had an Icon setup on my gen3 Taco and also ditched the stabilizer bar. IFS really shines off road without the bar IMO.

e61outside

…and the UCAs made a massive difference over stock arms. The stock were really restricting down travel and also putting the steering knuckle joint under a lot of pressure. PSA - Anyone reading this and researching lift options, go with aftermarket UCAs from the start. I can’t believe Ironman can sell that kit with a strait face and not offer UCAs and end links or even put up a disclaimer of some sort.

e61outside

Also of note, I’m experiencing the dreaded Titan sway-bar flip now that I’m getting full droop with the new UCAs and longer travel shocks.

Tried to reinstall with the end links extended further with no luck. Flipped when pulling into my driveway and bent the links. Anyone else with an armada and 3” lift seen this and have any advice? I ordered another set from PRG and they said they would set them to the correct length, but I’m curious if anyone else running extended travel shocks and aftermarket UCAs could share their end link length.

cd01b7bb77066337ae648bf08e86cd7e.jpg

f7ebc46ff7637eec9498b09ce5448275.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles