E4OD 2wd adapter to T-case

gscott

Can anyone speak to this adapter? I have been told Pathfinder and Quigley used the stock 2WD transmissions and used adapters to mount the t-cases. Instead of swapping to 4WD transmissions.

My parts Quadravan has a C6, and it has a long cast adapter in place of the the long tail housing. But I want to use the E4OD transmission as already in my van.

Here is a picture of the adapter behind the E4OD. The transmission has what I believe is the rear housing adapter from a 4WD E4OD, then it looks like this simple adapter is used to take up the extra length of the main shaft. This seems like a very simple way to go and I don't know why this isn't more common. Generally people will either swap to a 4WD trans, or completely disassemble the trans to change to the shorter shaft. This makes no sense to me in light of what looks like a very simple swap using an adapter like this.

Thoughts? Anyone have one to sell, or know who sells them? Otherwise it looks easy enough to make. Or, what am I missing here?

E4OD adapter.jpg

Attachments

• E4OD  adapter to tcase.jpg
    E4OD adapter to tcase.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 29

cre1992

I haven't seen that adapter before. I do have the less favorable option... Where are you located? I'm located in Florida.

Last edited:

gscott

Where are you located? I'm located in Florida. I've got a 4x4 version of E4OD out of a 1990 F-350 IDI that I converted to a ZF5 I would sell cheap.
I am as far as geographically possible in the continental US. And I don't want to pull my tranny for no good reason. And the diesel trans wouldn't mate to my 351. But thanks.

cre1992

Gotcha, didn't know you had a 351! I'm guessing you're in the PNW! I think if any forum was to help you locate one of those, it would probably be the guys over on pirate4x4.

gscott

Gotcha, didn't know you had a 351! I'm guessing you're in the PNW! I think if any forum was to help you locate one of those, it would probably be the guys over on pirate4x4.
you would think. But so far, nothing on Pirate. And since there is a big van following here, you'd think I'd get something. But no. Nothing.

gscott

you would think. But so far, nothing on Pirate. And since there is a big van following here, you'd think I'd get something. But no. Nothing. I have confirmed Quigley uses this simple adapter behind a 2wd tranny. I guess everyone is keeping it a secret so we spend a few extra grand to convert to 4wd trannies? Dunno.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Not sure how it is for all Ford transmissions but in some cases the 2wd version has a different spline output than the 4wd trans version. That's why it is more common to swap out the whole trans or rebuild with 4x4 output shaft and tailhousing. T-cases only have so many choices for spline input so, depending on the t-case you want to use, sometimes it is easier to convert the trans than to make a 2wd spline output shaft fit a 4wd spline tcase input.

For example... the 4R75 2wd from the van has a 28 spline output shaft. Most common 4x4 van tcase (at least for later model Eseries) is the NV271... which has a number of different input options but only two that are common for Ford, 31 and 34 spline.

Spline adapters are not difficult to make but they're not cheap unless you make a lot of them. Tailhousings are the same. A custom cast tailhousing would be much more expensive one-off than converting a trans with off-the-shelf 4x4 truck parts.

gscott

Not sure how it is for all Ford transmissions but in some cases the 2wd version has a different spline output than the 4wd trans version. That's why it is more common to swap out the whole trans or rebuild with 4x4 output shaft and tailhousing. T-cases only have so many choices for spline input so, depending on the t-case you want to use, sometimes it is easier to convert the trans than to make a 2wd spline output shaft fit a 4wd spline tcase input.

For example... the 4R75 2wd from the van has a 28 spline output shaft. Most common 4x4 van tcase (at least for later model Eseries) is the NV271... which has a number of different input options but only two that are common for Ford, 31 and 34 spline.

Spline adapters are not difficult to make but they're not cheap unless you make a lot of them. Tailhousings are the same. A custom cast tailhousing would be much more expensive one-off than converting a trans with off-the-shelf 4x4 truck parts.

The spline count on the E4OD is 31, same as C6 and 4R100. So it's common among their many tcases. A Borg Warner 1356 / 1756, NV271 or even the old NP205 and others will fit.

I can certainly see using a 4WD trans if building from scratch, or if you have a big shop full of big guys and big lifts and big equipment. I don't. I will be doing this myself. And the cost of the spacer is less than the labor to R&R a tranny, and far less than the labor to convert it to 4wd. Or to buy a used 4wd trans. Probably less than buying the shorter shaft. And my labor isn't free either.

The ordered the adapter from Quigley part # Q7CR-0084

Last edited:

bcaine

20210311_060338.jpg
This is a 4wd E4OD with the stock rear output that i bought to use as a donor. This is frim a 96 that was mated to a bw1356.

Am I understanding your research correctly - the Quigley part number you posted can be used instead of swapping internals to get the 4wd output shaft into my factory 2wd E4OD(not pictured)? Or would i reuse this external piece and then the adapter fits inside of this?

Last edited:

gscott

View attachment 647126
This is a 4wd E4OD with the stock rear output that i bought to use as a donor. This is frim a 96 that was mated to a bw1356.

Am I understanding your research correctly - the Quigley part number you posted can be used instead of swapping internals to get the 4wd output shaft into my factory 2wd E4OD(not pictured)? Or would i reuse this external piece and then the adapter fits inside of this?

I don't think so, or I don't understand your choice of words, or something is not right. This Quigley part does not involve changing the output shaft, nor does any adapter fit 'inside' of anything else. It's basically just a 5-1/2" spacer. If you look at the pictures I posted, circled in Red is the adapter you have, circled in Green is the Quigley / Pathfinder part, and the t-case is behind that.

The 2wd E4OD transmission shaft and housing is longer than the 4wd. The shorter 'transfer case adapter' you circled is used on 4wd trans to mount a t-case. The tail housing on a 2wd trans is longer and ends with the slip yolk seal at the driveshaft. Instead of swapping to the shorter 4wd shaft as most people say is necessary, Quigley and Pathfinder used a spacer to make up the difference in extra length. I'll call it a spacer because the bolt pattern is the same on both ends, so it doesn't really 'adapt' to anything. It is the standard 6 bolt round pattern used on many Ford t-cases for years.

So yes, the Ford OE 'transfer case adapter' you circled, from a 4wd E4OD is bolted to the trans in place of the 2wd tail housing, and the Quigley 'spacer' part I referenced was bolted to that to take up the extra length of shaft. Then the t-case is bolted to the spacer. There are several iterations of the 4wd 'transfer case adapter' made by Ford over the years; (to account for speedo cable before 1992, VSS location on top or side or not at all when it was moved to rear diff, the casting internals changed a bit (see photo where it says shoulder vs no shoulder), height of lube dam and case thickness, and they made a cast iron version for use behind diesel engines)). I haven't sorted out which adapter I prefer yet, or if they are interchangeable. Default I will match the 'shoulder' style of the transfer case adapter to the shoulder style of my tail housing, but I am interested in potentially using the cast iron unit if possible. But I'm rambling....

Does that make sense? Pathfinder used this same concept with the earlier C6 also, as it turns out. I have one in my parts Quadravan, I just didn't know what I was looking at. (C6 spacer is different than the E4) I was convinced I needed to swap transmissions because, well, everyone says so. But this spacer is definitely an option. As is running a divorced t-case.

Attachments

• 4r100-e4od-transmission-extension-housing-options.jpg
    4r100-e4od-transmission-extension-housing-options.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

bcaine

Yes, this makes sense. I had the lengths of the shafts backwards in my mind. I was thinking the output on the 4wd was longer, but that now seems incorrect and that the 2wd output is the longer variant.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and feel free to let me know if my last statements are still incorrect.

blakeape

Adventurer
I have a 2wd 4r100 from a 2003 sportsmobile with the adapter to go to the BW t-case. I believe it’s the 1356 transfer case. Everything has 83k miles on it. Should work on your E40D. I changed plans and converted to a 4wd transmission. It’s all for sale if you are interested

gscott

I have a 2wd 4r100 from a 2003 sportsmobile with the adapter to go to the BW t-case. I believe it’s the 1356 transfer case. Everything has 83k miles on it. Should work on your E40D. I changed plans and converted to a 4wd transmission. It’s all for sale if you are interested

Well. I still need everything from the OEM adapter back, except the Quigley spacer is on the way. I don't mind hoarding the spacers, I'm sure they will go OOS someday. But your van probably has the VSS on the rear diff? Mine is early, the early ones are on the trans? And I haven't figured out where my speedo cable is supposed to go, either the adapter or the t-case? And the OEM 4x4 adapters change over the years too, some have a 'lube dam', some don't. Some have VSS, some don't. I'm not sure if it really matters or not. Still trying to figure this out.

Anyone know what about the 'lube dam' and what years did what with VSS and speedo cable? I think I prefer fixed yolk to flange yolk like they used on Broncos or slip yolk. But then I'll need slip drive shaft?

gscott

I've been getting a few questions, so I'll try to clarify. Here's a picture of a Quigley assembly, currently on eBay for sale. It shows the 2wd E4 transmission with a 4wd tailhousing attached, then the Quigley spacer, then the BW1356 transfer case. Looks like they used a slip yoke rear, fixed yolk front, probably for a pickup since Bronco used the round flange at the rear.1996 trans transfer.jpg

gscott

Here are some more pictures of the Quigley spacer mated behind the short Ford OE 4wd tailhousing on a E4 2wd transmission.

Quadravan E4OD tcase adapter.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne