e450 7.3 Diesel vs v10 vs wait 10 years for 7.3 gas cutaway as a base for custom camper box

b. rock

Or, just swap one in. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

Torque is only listed at 475 though? The 6 speed trans would be nice, but the power is not exactly a giant leap over the V10, especially since preliminary MPG #s are comparable. You can do a tune and maybe headers on the V10 to catch up to the stock 7.3 (of course, you could do similar things to the 7.3 and really wake it up too).

Another option - find one of the rare cab/chassis builds with the 6.2! They do exist, there's just not a ton of them.

Edit: another option would be a transit cutaway w/ ecoboost (or powerstroke) + DIY composite box too. MG has a DIY 4x4 kit that could be added whenever.

motovan_mn

They are Chicago based. They sell used FedEx trucks. I got my 12ft box truck from them. It's a 5.4 gas w/140k miles on it. I will say, every maintenance will have to be done to it once (if) you buy it from them. I even had to do the spark plugs and coils.

I was hesitant about buying a high mileage box truck, but, there's nothing out there. AND after talking to Chris, he was like, it doesn't matter, a new engine is only $3,500. Which is a valid point. A lot cheaper than a new $50k box truck.

A buddy I work with has a 5.4 F-150 and the engine went on him. He was gonna buy a new truck, but didn't want the note. So he had his engine replaced, all in he said he was a little under $4k. No, it's not the new awesome 7.3L gas, but mine gets me around just fine.

As it sits currently:

TE7WxXqh.jpg

Day I bought it:

KqQgFuyh.jpg

Looks like they have one with a 12ft box and single rear wheels for $22k. Would you mind sharing what you paid for yours? Feel free to DM me if not comfortable sharing on a public forum.

I honestly would have expected them to be much cheaper than that, but what do I know. Maybe these have been hit by the Covid premium as well?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looks like they have one with a 12ft box and single rear wheels for $22k. Would you mind sharing what you paid for yours? Feel free to DM me if not comfortable sharing on a public forum.

I honestly would have expected them to be much cheaper than that, but what do I know. Maybe these have been hit by the Covid premium as well?
I’m always shocked by what rigs are going for. My ‘97 E350 7.3 PSD Ambulance wasn’t drivable when we bought it for about $1000 USD. For about $30 we replaced the brake line to the rear, bled the brakes, and filled up the brake fluid. We’ve had it 8 years now.

Maintenance wise we’ve replaced the alternator, all the springs & shocks, replaced the ball joints, replaced all the brakes, tires, new fuel bowl O-rings & filter, glow plug relay, starting batteries, light bulbs, and LED headlights.

Craig_C

On 2/15/21 I found a 2019 12’ foot box van SRW for $28,500, asking $30. Couldn’t get my wife to go for it. V10 30k miles, but it still had the warranty. Rear barn doors. I think it even had a side door but the pics on the email are gone. Was for sale for at least 3 weeks. Can’t remember the box manufacturer, but they said I shouldn’t cut away the bulkhead to open it up. That and my wife wants everything that a 23’ RV has. Which I liked as well. Plus sometimes we have kids living with us for an unknown timeframe. Which was the case then and now.

Craig_C

Edit: another option would be a transit cutaway w/ ecoboost (or powerstroke) + DIY composite box too. MG has a DIY 4x4 kit that could be added whenever.
I’ve thought about this and it seems like a good route. Could get factory AWD which for the price would be nice. I don’t need off road performance. I would like something that I can drive through 11” of unplowed snow on dirt roads, western muddy roads. Waiting on seeing how well these lift kits hold up.

Plus no need for subframe, better on road manners, enough towing capacity for my needs. (I would like to be able to tow 7,500 lbs for my parents boat, but realistically I probably never will tow it. It hasn’t left their driveway in 20+ years.). Andreas has his build thread and AEON has a really cool rig as well. Right now this is a want, and with the spike in prices. It is just going to have to wait.

Thanks for all the replies. This forum has so much useful info, and so many helpful members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles