e450 7.3 Diesel vs v10 vs wait 10 years for 7.3 gas cutaway as a base for custom camper box

Craig_C

I found an e450 2002 7.3 diesel cutaway (ambulance box removed) with less than 120k that is very reasonably priced. I am trying to convince my wife and myself that this would be a good platform to build off of. Last year I found a 2012 with the v10 and less than 100k miles for decent price as well, so I know if I am patient I will find another one. My dream would be a brand new 7.3 gas, but that is too expensive especially since it won't be a DIY box.

My ideal would be adding subframe, a Total Composite box with a alcove over the cab all water inside, 4x4... Projected costs are over $60k and maybe two years before mounted and ready. At that investment, I would need to keep it and have it be reliable for 20 year. or if they continue the e series remount it.

My questions for you are:
What kind of longevity can be expected with an engine/transmission that old? Ability to find parts? (Rust would be another issue, but I figure I can deal with at least the frame since I can get to it) I have read a lot of opinions about the difference but if I remember those posts were 5 or more years old, has anything changed since then.

Are the low end torque and better fuel mileage worth dealing with the louder 7.3 diesel? I feel like I would prefer the gas, but a lot of people on Facebook push for the diesel. I know I don't want a 6.0. I do a lot of highway miles if that makes a difference, 4x4 would be for snow, mud, sand not rock crawling. I would really like 600 miles of range because of people I travel with have that.

Thanks in advance, I have spend hours and hours reading. I might get to drive my first 7.3 diesel this weekend, it seems the local ones sell before I have time to test drive them.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m very happy with my ‘97 E350 7.3 Ambulance. Couldn’t be happier. In 7 years,and about 2000 hours I’ve had very few problems and it hasn’t needed much maintenance. When I bought it the alternator was dead, the fuel bowl (filter housing) had minor fuel leaks, and a new glow plug relay.

The new 215 amp (32 lb) alternator was $300.

An O-ring kit was about $8… and several hours to Re and Re the filter housing.

The monster glow plug relay was $40-50 bucks.

That’s all it has needed other than oil changes.

I’ve seen as high as 20+ mpg highway… 16.5 cruising down the I5 at 70+ mph

iggi

Ian
A big diesel in a van cab is noisy. Consider whether you and your wife like to talk or not. I was hitting over 90dB on hills inside the cab before I added a lot of sound insulation. Was able to knock about 20dB off but it's still loud compared to a gasser.

Craig_C

I was hitting over 90dB on hills inside the cab before I added a lot of sound insulation. Was able to knock about 20dB off but it's still loud compared to a gasser.
I feel like 70 dB is loud. I was hoping for better, but it is good to get the real info. I’m not sure I could handle that for 20 hours at a time. Of course with a camper I might not be as inclined to drive 20 or more hours at a time. I will have to have my wife drive so I can look at my dB meter to see.

I’m very happy with my ‘97 E350 7.3 Ambulance. Couldn’t be happier. In 7 years,and about 2000 hours I’ve had very few problems and it hasn’t needed much maintenance. …I’ve seen as high as 20+ mpg highway… 16.5 cruising down the I5 at 70+ mph [\QUOTE]

Then the higher mpg would be nice.
Thanks for the replies.

dtruzinski

Explorer
I am addicted to the 7.3 diesels. I have two 2003’s: E350 with 6” Ujoint lift and Sportsmobile top, and an E450 ambulance that I am currently in the process of building. As @iggi said, you need to install sound deadening material. It is an easy add and is well worth the time and money. While I am no where near the db of a gasser, it is tolerable. In my E350, I generally get 15 mpg by keeping my speed down and 12.5-13.5 mpg running at freeway speeds of 65-75 mph.

iggi

Ian
Just to clarify. 73dB is my current max and that's matting it through the mountain passes. Cruising noise is in the low 60's and I haven't put any sound deadening on the firewall/behind the dash. I'm sure it could be made quieter, I've just had higher priority things to work on.

I feel like 70 dB is loud. I was hoping for better, but it is good to get the real info. I’m not sure I could handle that for 20 hours at a time. Of course with a camper I might not be as inclined to drive 20 or more hours at a time. I will have to have my wife drive so I can look at my dB meter to see.

billiebob

Parts, its a Ford, parts will never be an issue.
Rust is location dependent. You live in the rust belt..... buy new.

Old diesels, 2002 Power Strokes are to die for. GREAT engines. Gas is a great choice too, a bit more limited on hauling heavy loads but fully capable. IF you are travelling 20,000 miles plus a year, the diesel wins but IF you are driving 10.000 miles a year, the gas is a solid choice. Things like routine maintenance are double with the diesel. Things like repairs can be triple with a diesel. The gas will be many $$$ per mile less expensive to run. The diesel will go longer distances with fewer needs. But unless you are hauling hard every day, the gas is the better choice.

Range, 600 miles, its a cutaway, just add tanks. IF you are lightly loaded and cruising secondary roads, gas diesel will be similar. On the interstate at 70mph the diesel will win. But the diesel will need more upkeep too.

b. rock

Diesels will make their torque low in the rpm band. The triton engines all seem to like to rev. If you live in a flat area, not a big deal. Even empty my E350 V10 would be well past 3k rpms climbing grades at highway speeds. It was pretty good at it, it just sucked down the gas doing so, and was definitely far from quiet. My current diesel in comparison just adds a few lbs of boost and chugs along. It's significantly faster than the V10, but it's also far from stock and not a 7.3, so a stock 7.3 may be a bit slower.

If you're doing highway miles and looking for 4x4 for inclement weather more than off road prowess, why not a Chevy w/ the 6.0? The IFS will ride far smoother for long highway miles, and a later 6.0 with the 6 speed trans is a great setup.

If you're looking at 10-20 yr life cycles, you also need to figure out what gas and diesel pricing will look like. My personal guess is that diesel will stick around longer during the EV revolution mostly due to the trucking industry. Total crap shoot however, and I'm no expert.

Your plan of a composite box on a van platform was my original plan until I ended up just doing a high top on an EB body. Hope it goes well for you.

jronwood

Adventurer
I have a fleet of 5.4, v10 , and powerstroke and IDIs here. 1991-2014. I absolutely love the quiet power and efficiency of the 2014 v10. The 5r110w is outstanding. It gets same mileage as 5.4 over the road (summer mix) 12-14.5 mpg. I would NEVER want a 7.3 PSD under a dog box clanking away. ...not to mention we're winter people and bitter cold starts are ...well, a problem. That said I am lining up a 1991 E350 ambo IDI for a long term project .. but the IDI is substantially quieter and way more more simple. May even do a zf6 .. not sure.

jronwood

Adventurer
I have a fleet of 5.4, v10 , and powerstroke and IDIs here. 1991-2014. I absolutely love the quiet power and efficiency of the 2014 v10. The 5r110w is outstanding. It gets same mileage as 5.4 over the road (summer mix) 12-14.5 mpg. I would NEVER want a 7.3 PSD under a dog box clanking away. ...not to mention we're winter people and bitter cold starts are ...well, a problem. That said I am lining up a 1991 E350 ambo IDI for a long term project .. but the IDI is substantially quieter and way more more simple. May even do a zf6 .. not sure. Aim that v10 at a mountain pass and let her rip...... and smile ...
The 5r110w with tow button downshifts like a manual tranny. Gonna drag my CJ7 behind on a single alum trailer.

Craig_C

Thanks for all your replies. I’m really leaning toward gas. The funny thing is the 7.3 PSD sold, and the seller posted a 2014 with around100k miles. Both were $3k cutaway former ambulances. I got way more excited about the v10, but it sold before I could pick it up. Around 3 days vs 2 plus weeks. I also looked at TC box prices and because of the ‘China’ tax and increased shipping, it is out of my price range for now. Thinking the best option is to find a retired ambulance with the box still attached. I imagine a 4-5 year wait for prices to come back down.

As far as the box, last year, I contacted Aerocell and they would attach a box to a used chassis for around $14.5K. The problem is the pass though wasn’t open enough for what I wanted and they said opening it would void any warranty.
I feel like the best bet would be to build my own exoskeleton box, I need to learn how to weld.

The local junk yard that would answer the phone said the E series box truck boxes they get are trashed and not worth using.

Plus I’m still waiting to see who is going to build one,soni Don’t have to be the guinea pig. I feel like I learn so much as I read things on this forum.

iggi

Ian
Just a bit of food for thought. Why not buy something as close to usable as possible and get out to enjoy it?
Just about to start on the 4x4 conversion for my ambulance. Once that's complete it will tick about 80% of your initial requirements for about a 3rd of the cost. Plus you could have it done in a matter of months as opposed to years.

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks for all your replies. I’m really leaning toward gas. The funny thing is the 7.3 PSD sold, and the seller posted a 2014 with around100k miles. Both were $3k cutaway former ambulances. I got way more excited about the v10, but it sold before I could pick it up. Around 3 days vs 2 plus weeks. I also looked at TC box prices and because of the ‘China’ tax and increased shipping, it is out of my price range for now. Thinking the best option is to find a retired ambulance with the box still attached. I imagine a 4-5 year wait for prices to come back down.

As far as the box, last year, I contacted Aerocell and they would attach a box to a used chassis for around $14.5K. The problem is the pass though wasn’t open enough for what I wanted and they said opening it would void any warranty.
I feel like the best bet would be to build my own exoskeleton box, I need to learn how to weld.

The local junk yard that would answer the phone said the E series box truck boxes they get are trashed and not worth using.

Plus I’m still waiting to see who is going to build one,soni Don’t have to be the guinea pig. I feel like I learn so much as I read things on this forum.
I dont know where you are. ..I am near Pittsburgh. I have an extra ambo box from city of Pittsburgh...tipped on side and slide 3 feet. Back doors missing. I would take $1500 for it

Craig_C

That might be a little far. I’m in west Michigan, so about 6.5 hours each way. I’ll keep it in mind though.

CaptainBuilt

They are Chicago based. They sell used FedEx trucks. I got my 12ft box truck from them. It's a 5.4 gas w/140k miles on it. I will say, every maintenance will have to be done to it once (if) you buy it from them. I even had to do the spark plugs and coils.

I was hesitant about buying a high mileage box truck, but, there's nothing out there. AND after talking to Chris, he was like, it doesn't matter, a new engine is only $3,500. Which is a valid point. A lot cheaper than a new $50k box truck.

A buddy I work with has a 5.4 F-150 and the engine went on him. He was gonna buy a new truck, but didn't want the note. So he had his engine replaced, all in he said he was a little under $4k. No, it's not the new awesome 7.3L gas, but mine gets me around just fine.

As it sits currently:

TE7WxXqh.jpg

Day I bought it:

KqQgFuyh.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne