E350 Grill colour... Silver Rattlecan?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've seen lots of threads where people have painted them out black.

Has anyone figured out a rattlecan that looks like the original Colour?

I painted the rims 'Titanium Silver' which looked like it on the cap, but it's a much lighter/brighter colour. I wan't to keep it looking like a 'stock' Ambulance so black isn't on the radar. A part of me wants to match the rims... but then the lower bumper skirt would look out of place. RIMG0042.jpg

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've not found a can of VHT Cast iron, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like a better march for the newer grills. My OE grill is silver, just not as bright as the Titanium Silver comes out... more like the colour on the cap.

Is the stock grill just faded after 20 years in the sun and elements?

4x4pair

Adventurer
I agree, I don't think it matches well either. I was just posting it since you said you couldn't find it and I figured you'd want to compare. 😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4x4pair

Adventurer
Here's what it looked like for me.

74a649e651927c9cff4bcb4ac3329097.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

::Squish::

Observer
I say roll your own color, don't worry about trying to match the ford color. get the value and color of silver you like and paint the grill and the headlight surrounds/bezels and your done. unless it's a totally different ball park or you are super picky it's far enough away and in different light compared to air dam no one will notice.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you really really want to match a color drive it over to your local automotive paint supplier. The place supplying the body shops in town. They should be able to match whatever sample you want matched and stuff it in a spray can for you, and generally not that bad on cost. Plus side is the spray cans are reusable and can be filled with whatever you want.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The last colour matched can I got was around $50 for one rattle can. I'll buy a couple cans before going that route. It wasn't even a reuse able can :(

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ yep. I do that often. works out great especially for colors you cant find regular rattle can for. best deal is to buy a quart and have them fill 3 cans. that way you will have some left over to color match other things on your rig. diff covers, brake calipers, etc.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The smaller Homedepot in town only had the more common Rustoleum 'Titanium Silver'image.jpeg

After I'd splashed some on the rims, I stopped at the further away one and found they had an array of 'Sliver' paints. Next step will be to pick one, or just match the grill to the wheels.
image.jpeg
This pic shows only a couple... Not to mention other possible brands.

The weather is getting wet enough that it may be a while before I freshen up the grill and headlight surrounds. They will be getting back burnered until I see a stretch of nicer weather... It had been looking promising, but this week it has gone downhill. :(

Likely won't see snow this winter, so I can't complain, but I miss the clear skies and shorts weather. Still wearing a tshirt outside. My son is a holdout, and is still wearing shorts and a tshirt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior