E350 Extended with Pop top, sleeping for 5 people?

ruffryder

Hello all,

First time poster, medium time reader. I have been following some of the different build threads and have on my plans getting an E350, either with 4WD or converting it, then getting a large pop top for it. I have three small children, 6, 3, and also 3, and would love to have a vehicle for spending the night in during the weekends. I am not looking for a full on camper conversion, but storage, seating, and hopefully a place for all 5 of us to sleep. I don't think it would be a big deal now with the kids so small, but I would like the vehicle to be used when the kids get bigger too.

So, has anyone successfully used their camper van for sleeping 5 people?

If I have missed some threads that covered this, sorry in advance.

Happy Trails

Shouldn't be a problem. You can sleep the kids the width of the van while their short.

Seems like a terrible waist of money tho. Why not just get them a tent and you and wife sleep in the van? They will want their own space anyways when they get older. Don't get me wrong. I really like the pop tops too, but for the money would rather have a brand new pop up trailer.

chet

island Explorer
check out colorado campervan. big pop up! you could sleep one sidways across front seats with a simple hammock setup.

Way back in the day my dad built a camper in a 1967 Ford 3/4 ton Econoline van entirely out of 3/8" plywood, screws and weld-wood glue, and 1x2 pine strips. We travelled the entire US in it, all five of us. I'm pretty sure my sisters and I were about your children's ages. My point is, it's definitely doable, with or without the pop top. Ours was not, but the van was my mom's DD as well, and the pop top might have created issues (this was the late 60's, after all).

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm in a similar boat, kids are 4, 4 and 3. I have been looking for ideas as well.

One thing I have seen are fold-down bunk beds on the interior walls.

My kids would love to sleep in a pop-top, so if I could fit them up there that would be great too! At least until they start kicking each other...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Fit 4 adults in my EB at a festival recently. It has a bare interior (just panelled walls, no furniture). Set 4 cots in, 2 north-south and 2 east-west. Had room left over for camping gear, guitar, coolers, etc. I have a pop top but we didn't use it at night due to my vinyl windows and screens needing replacement. A pop top with proper interior layout can fit 5 ppl easily.

710m

Observer
We sleep 5 in our Chevy van with a CCV top. The build is on this site. Kids are 10,8, and 6 now. We might have to reconfigure the layout once they get bigger. But for now it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles