E350 Chinook Build

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Hey Buddy! Glad you are still running good! Thought This belonged in your thread!
QbGh13xh.jpg

Hell yeah, you saved our trip!

Photobug

Once I get it home I will be installing a rear locker. That's what I ultimately decided, 2wd with a lift, locker, and a winch should get me almost everywhere I need!

Have you ever needed the winch? It seems given the weight it might be very hard to find anything that would withstand the pull from a vehicle that big.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Have you ever needed the winch? It seems given the weight it might be very hard to find anything that would withstand the pull from a vehicle that big.

I used it once for pulling myself out, off a rather small tree too. And I’ve used it a handful of times pulling other rigs/cars out of situations. I try to use a snatch block when I can to keep stress off the winch.

I would say it’s not 100% needed but it has come in handy. That and a set of recovery boards should get you out of any situation.

86scotty

Cynic

My heavy old Sportsmobile weight almost 11k and had a Harbor Freight 12k winch on it. I picked the front up a time or two pulling down trees.

FatBuoy

To be honest I’m not sure. I like them but what Weldtech is charging for them seems high. Met up with a guy who reached out while I was in CO to see the rig and he agreed. I don’t believe there is anything too special about the rear leaf pack they use. Buy direct from a spring shop and save big. Not to mention mine are not rated correctly and I’m now looking at add a leaf options or bags. In Jeremeys defense I didn’t have the swing out bumper on the back at the time of install but I did tell him my plans and ask him to add 500lbs to the rear to compensate for the added weight I planed on having on the rear.

To be clear, I’m sure you’ll be happy if you go the Weldtech route. But you can probably save money if you just sourced the spring yourself ??

Hey Willy- great build thread. Just read it all. I actually first saw your rig as the cover photo for the Chinook Forum before it was painted, and fell in deep like. You gave me the idea of the front clip swap. Haven't done it yet, but I do like the fiberglass one they sell because of the flared fenders. I've got an 01 rear entry Premier. On the rear springs- great point. Any idea where a guy would start with sourcing them? Just give someone the rear weight and how much lift I would like? I would just hate to go that route to save the bucks, then get the wrong combo and have to go buy them in the end anyway. I have heard stories about alignment issues as well. Any trouble there?

eporter

Adventurer
On the rear springs- great point. Any idea where a guy would start with sourcing them? Just give someone the rear weight and how much lift I would like?

Yep, it’s basically that simple. I was looking at doing a 2WD front end swap with new e-series takeoff parts from Quadvan that they’re left with when they do 4wd conversions. You basically upgrade the 90s Chinook to current brakes/hubs/springs/etc. I spoke with the owner about this, and he recommended a front coil spring that gave a slight lift, and then going to a local spring supplier company to get the rear springs custom-made. Once they know what kind of weight the springs need to hold, it’s fairly straightforward for them to design the right spring pack to your weight. Rear end leaf springs aren’t rocket science.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior