E350 Chinook Build

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Quick little video showing how she goes in the snow! We got about 12” of snow overnight, had to help 3 other people out the lot that were blocking the exit. Then I pulled right out! That night at Copper Ski resort the parking lot was a **** show. Probably got another 8-10” during the day. Must have been 100+ cars and truck stuck in the lot everywhere! I helped a bunch of people and the rig was unstoppable thru the lot.

That brings back memories! We’re camped in those lots before when Vail and Eisenhower passes get closed due to conditions. I felt sorry for all those people sleeping in their cars during one blizzard. Cool video!

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Awesome shot! what happened with the heads? It’s not often you see a V10 have issues...

She spit two spark plugs, a known problem on all 2v triton motors. I fixed it with the best kit on the market (cal-van insert) and it spit on of the inserts out. I have a buddy Justin in Denver with an amazing Volvo specially shop “Baker Garage” , he was a Ford master mechanic for years and personally has a 4x4 E350 and he is a authorized U-Joint installer. I had him pull the motor, install new head so I’ll never have another popped spark plug ever, and change ANYTHING he saw that was original and change ANYTHING worth changing when we were in there. Motor got all new chains, guides, gears, etc. New hoses, alternator, belts, tensioner, etc. Although it was a TON of money, she should be good to go for a loooong while.

If you can get your hands on the Idaho hot springs guide by Doug Roloff,,, keep you busy for awhile, lots of epic spots

I found one copy online, used $125! Worth it?

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
How was rig handling mud before and after rear slid out? Looks like right side rear wheels hit ditch, is that what happened? Would traction boards have helped extract quicker?

[/QUOTE]

yikes! I would mail you our copy if I had access to it. We were there in 2016, passed through Boise to do laundry. Next door was an outdoors shop with the newly released hot springs guide. Didnt really have Idaho on the radar and It ended up a highlight of the trip. We found some cool camp spots and hot springs, that made for a memorable trip.

another_mike

Adventurer
She spit two spark plugs, a known problem on all 2v triton motors. I fixed it with the best kit on the market (cal-van insert) and it spit on of the inserts out. I have a buddy Justin in Denver with an amazing Volvo specially shop “Baker Garage” , he was a Ford master mechanic for years and personally has a 4x4 E350 and he is a authorized U-Joint installer. I had him pull the motor, install new head so I’ll never have another popped spark plug ever, and change ANYTHING he saw that was original and change ANYTHING worth changing when we were in there. Motor got all new chains, guides, gears, etc. New hoses, alternator, belts, tensioner, etc. Although it was a TON of money, she should be good to go for a loooong while.

eh, thats what I was afraid of. I have a 2006 v10 with more threads, but these heads have done it too. I just did my spark plugs like two months ago and torqued them higher than what the service manual calls for. Really hoping I don't spit one either.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
eh, thats what I was afraid of. I have a 2006 v10 with more threads, but these heads have done it too. I just did my spark plugs like two months ago and torqued them higher than what the service manual calls for. Really hoping I don't spit one either.

Torquing them higher is not going to help and might actually be worse. I talked to my buddy and he said “DONT over torque, and to check the torque often on them to help mitigate the issue”

How was rig handling mud before and after rear slid out? Looks like right side rear wheels hit ditch, is that what happened? Would traction boards have helped extract quicker?

It actually did really good. Traction wasn’t the issue, steering and sliding was. If you stayed in the ruts you were fine. If you had to get out of the ruts (to help pull out another vehicle) you would slide off the road into the ditch. Better then sliding the other side with 40ft drops and switchbacks! We camped up this valley 14miles down a dirt road. Woke up to rain and when it rains this red clay becomes slick as ********. My buddy got stuck a few time and I only got stuck trying to get him out. I winched out to a near by tree and was good the rest of the way. We used recovery boards to get him unstuck multiple times.

12A82AB9-546B-4566-8C51-B925C3E0933A.jpeg

another_mike

Adventurer
Torquing them higher is not going to help and might actually be worse. I talked to my buddy and he said “DONT over torque, and to check the torque often on them to help mitigate the issue”
That actually goes against all the current Ford Techs ive talked to. while I don't take my van to the dealer to be serviced, I do have to take some of our fleet vehicles there (we have about 3000 fords). Torque spec is 10ft lbs per my service manual.. People have tested the threads on these heads and found they won't pull out til over 90ft lbs. I don't know anyone who is going to pull the dog house and coils to check the torque often. I found its a common consensus to over torque these plugs past the service manual's requirements... 10ftlbs is just way too low.

Obviously everyone is free to do what they want. YMMV (literally lol)

willywalderbeast

Master of None
That actually goes against all the current Ford Techs ive talked to. while I don't take my van to the dealer to be serviced, I do have to take some of our fleet vehicles there (we have about 3000 fords). Torque spec is 10ft lbs per my service manual.. People have tested the threads on these heads and found they won't pull out til over 90ft lbs. I don't know anyone who is going to pull the dog house and coils to check the torque often. I found its a common consensus to over torque these plugs past the service manual's requirements... 10ftlbs is just way too low.

Obviously everyone is free to do what they want. YMMV (literally lol)

A couple thing here:

Ok well I agree 10ftlbs is too low. With all the information I’ve searched through and from the consensus of people I’ve talked to says to touque it between 20-25ftlbs. And since it’s a known problem, regularly checking them, regardless how difficult/impractical that is, seems to be the only good option in my opinion to trying to prevent this problem. And by checking them often, and by often I mean maybe 30k miles, could possible help prevent this. I don’t think 1-2hrs every 30k miles is that inconvenient.

Another thing to talk about is that I don’t believe it’s a over torquing issue necessarily, but it might be playing a part in it. The general problem has to do with the aluminum threads on the head, which after time, get weak. So to say “the plugs won’t pull out till 90ftlbs” really means nothing in this case. And even more, could mean that those guys at the deal servicing your fleet who are openly saying they’re over torquing them, could be causing some factor to why this problem is a common one.

Again like you said, everyone should do what they think is right.

another_mike

Adventurer
A couple thing here:

Ok well I agree 10ftlbs is too low. With all the information I’ve searched through and from the consensus of people I’ve talked to says to touque it between 20-25ftlbs. And since it’s a known problem, regularly checking them, regardless how difficult/impractical that is, seems to be the only good option in my opinion to trying to prevent this problem. And by checking them often, and by often I mean maybe 30k miles, could possible help prevent this. I don’t think 1-2hrs every 30k miles is that inconvenient.

Another thing to talk about is that I don’t believe it’s a over torquing issue necessarily, but it might be playing a part in it. The general problem has to do with the aluminum threads on the head, which after time, get weak. So to say “the plugs won’t pull out till 90ftlbs” really means nothing in this case. And even more, could mean that those guys at the deal servicing your fleet who are openly saying they’re over torquing them, could be causing some factor to why this problem is a common one.

Again like you said, everyone should do what they think is right.
Sounds like we are in agreement here, just using different terminology. Since the factory spec is 10ft lbs.. I consider anything over that "overtorquing". Increasing the spec by double definitely fits that definition to me... But im the kind of guy that actually uses a torque wrench, so I deal in absolutes lol.

I torqued mine between 20-25ft lbs also.

I didn't really plan on checking mine at 30k.. (might even sell the van before I get 30k on them).. but I figure id simply replace the plugs at 50k.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Sounds like we are in agreement here, just using different terminology. Since the factory spec is 10ft lbs.. I consider anything over that "overtorquing". Increasing the spec by double definitely fits that definition to me... But im the kind of guy that actually uses a torque wrench, so I deal in absolutes lol.

I torqued mine between 20-25ft lbs also.

I didn't really plan on checking mine at 30k.. (might even sell the van before I get 30k on them).. but I figure id simply replace the plugs at 50k.

Ah I just assumed when I heard 90ftlbs as the limit, you were torquing them at 60ftlbs of torque or something haha.

I just did the math on mine and I believe these plugs had 52k on them. Previous owner gave me a bunch of old receipts including one for spark plugs from Ford. So your correct if you replace stuff on the early side it’s probably fine to not re-torque. If your one to “let them ride” maybe re-torquing once or twice could help.

Last edited:

cabnetguy

Now that you've used your truck for a while, I'm wondering how you like the weldtech rear springs on your truck. I am finally able to start work on my truck and next year will be lifting mine and wanted to get your opinion of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94