E350 Chinook Build

FatBuoy

Yep, it’s basically that simple. I was looking at doing a 2WD front end swap with new e-series takeoff parts from Quadvan that they’re left with when they do 4wd conversions. You basically upgrade the 90s Chinook to current brakes/hubs/springs/etc. I spoke with the owner about this, and he recommended a front coil spring that gave a slight lift, and then going to a local spring supplier company to get the rear springs custom-made. Once they know what kind of weight the springs need to hold, it’s fairly straightforward for them to design the right spring pack to your weight. Rear end leaf springs aren’t rocket science.

Wow. You aren’t going to believe this, but John just sent me a 2021 0 mile takeoff. It’s on a pallet in my garage. My initial reason was for the post 2008 brakes, but for what he charged, a whole new front suspension was a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eporter

Adventurer
Ha, that’s awesome! I used to post over on the Chinook forum, but then I sold the “shell nook” project. Wrote a few posts about the quadvan deal, it’s a steal compared to even just buying new parts. I paid a bunch in front end work on an e350 ambo, but didn’t know about the quadvan deal. He was even lining up a local shop or two to specialize in the conversions. Basically helping him get rid of extra parts!

Still lurking here as they’re still cool rigs, especially this one!

FatBuoy

Ha, that’s awesome! I used to post over on the Chinook forum, but then I sold the “shell nook” project. Wrote a few posts about the quadvan deal, it’s a steal compared to even just buying new parts. I paid a bunch in front end work on an e350 ambo, but didn’t know about the quadvan deal. He was even lining up a local shop or two to specialize in the conversions. Basically helping him get rid of extra parts!

Still lurking here as they’re still cool rigs, especially this one!

It may have very well been your write-up that educated me on the option. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_C

I have this thread twice now! So impressed with what you did. Thanks for the information and pictures. I would love to buy one of these to use ski and winter camp also.

Hmmm good question. Right now there is a large storage area under the bed. The forward section of the bed hinges up to access the area as well as a pull out draw on the side that opens toward the kitchen area. Then there is a door on the back of the rig to access the large area of the storage. It's long enough to hold skis and boards. If you were to remove the upper cabinets in the bed area and built a platform then yes maybe. The hard part would be making the door in the rear bigger for access. Assuming you take the front tire off the bike it would probably fit/work. Would be good for a single person in the bed, two would be tight as the chinooks have a tiered roof so the inside person would have less headroom.
I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the rear storage doors and depth. Finding information for side door Chinook Concourse is almost as hard as finding one. I have Zinger Wingers that can remotely launch training dummies for dog retriever training. These are 26.5" wide and 56" deep. My dogs are the reason I am thinking of buying an "RV", and this is something I use often with them.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Bumping this thread as I will be posting the Chinook up for sale soon. Needs some work on the inside, perfect for someone who wants to build out the interior for themself. Rig runs great, fly in and drive it home anywhere. All major systems work, just need to freshen up the interior. Will be posting more info soon, if anyone is interested please reach out, thanks!

Ranger is bummed we’re selling ?
9A983BAE-E8D0-4654-81C7-47E1D3FB9EC1.jpeg

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Didn’t see that coming. What made you decide to sell?

Investment opportunity popped up, need the cash.

I will be asking 50k. I took current photos today and can send them to anyone who is interested. 170k on the motor, just spent 10k in maintenance work when I popped a spark plug a while back. Had a reputable shop (and forum member, see previous page) put new heads on the motor and change out any and every part that was worth changing while we had the motor out to save me (now you) headache in the future.

5621B5A1-F008-4548-B064-294AC1285BFA.jpeg
A312B458-06C5-431E-B20A-01CA69A1319F.jpegAB062D93-35C5-4916-B16B-A9EE42621BAA.jpegEB33ACAD-4C6C-472C-96B6-9A7E606B3B28.jpeg592A14FB-53F4-4DD0-AF40-CFD4747E504C.jpeg

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
GLWS, side door Chinook is rare in itself, but with this build and quality someone will be very very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles