E350 10ft Box Van

Did you use it when attaching the marine ply to the ceiling too? Everything held OK for the time that you owned it? Did you use any kind of primer with it, and about how many tubes did you use?

Thanks,
Mike
I framed the ceiling fans with ply but used a generic construction adhesive for that, since they were mechanically fastened from the exterior as well. Ceiling panels were attached to the existing roof stringers.
I scuffed the ply and walls, cleaned and then set with 5200, using load locks to hold in position while drying. I can’t remember how many tubes I used, a handful. The build was still quiet and rock solid after 32k miles, confident it will go the distance. No problem,

geoffff

Observer
Very nice! Just read your whole process thread. I've been thinking of building something very much like that: Ford E-Series, Spartan box, 4x4 conversion.

Anything you would do differently next time?

I know you mentioned this being fine early in the process, but did you ever end up having any flex trouble with the Spartan box rigidly attached to the frame? This is a big concern of mine, as I like to do fun trails in my camper (currently a Sportsmobile 4x4).

-- Geoff

Very nice! Just read your whole process thread. I've been thinking of building something very much like that: Ford E-Series, Spartan box, 4x4 conversion.

Anything you would do differently next time?

I know you mentioned this being fine early in the process, but did you ever end up having any flex trouble with the Spartan box rigidly attached to the frame? This is a big concern of mine, as I like to do fun trails in my camper (currently a Sportsmobile 4x4).

-- Geoff

Thanks!! Not really, it checked all the boxes and did it well. But the key being we bought the van new and out the door for $30,500, so it made it an easy win. We have been looking at the market and not much out there right now. Depending on what you could buy one for, I think a cab chassis with total composite box would be worth looking into as well. That said the spartan box is a great platform and performed excellent. There was no problem with it being solid mounted. The box itself is not rigid and flexes quite well, more than the frame would allow it too. I worked in a commercial setting around FRP boxes and dry vans and they can take a beating, they rely on sealant to keep them dry and this is about the only maintenance needed.

socceronly

This looks great. It is my preferred beast to acquire only I keep leaning towards an F series with a box for the default 4x4.

In a Ford, E series, is it possible to have both seats swivel? One of the things I keep considering is the Transit platform with the dual swivel seats. It's like gaining a whole lotta space.

Is it possible to have the drivers seat swivel with any of the 4x4 upgrades?

This looks great. It is my preferred beast to acquire only I keep leaning towards an F series with a box for the default 4x4.

In a Ford, E series, is it possible to have both seats swivel? One of the things I keep considering is the Transit platform with the dual swivel seats. It's like gaining a whole lotta space.

Is it possible to have the drivers seat swivel with any of the 4x4 upgrades?

Thanks. Yes it is possible to have both seats swivel. In our last e-series we had both but rarely used the driver seat, so left it strictly for the cock pit in this build. You might opt for an electric shift transfer case to eliminate tripping over the shifter.

E-series= Most capable back country travel, less than 10klbs, less than 10‘ overhead clearance
F-series= Factory 4x4, as capable as the e-series but overall dimensions become a factor in certain areas
Transit AWD= not nearly as capable off road but better road manners, probably most bang for your buck

conseannery

Congrats on the sale, cool unit! I was wondering whether you bought the box separate from Supreme and what it ended up costing you?

Congrats on the sale, cool unit! I was wondering whether you bought the box separate from Supreme and what it ended up costing you?
Thanks. I bought it as a unit. It was less than $31k out the door, the msrp on the chassis alone was over $32k. It was a 2016 special ordered and then buyer did not take delivery of it and sat on the lot for two years. It is a major pain to search for one, lots of time invested just scrolling through commercial Ford dealer inventories. The commercial dealers do a poor job of advertising, often just post a generic cab/chassis picture. But there were deals to be found, often times they are ordered in bulk for customers and then customer does not take delivery of all of them. At that time it was just the matter of finding one with the engine and box combo you wanted. We are currently on the hunt for another base vehicle again. All of our plans that were in motion prior to covid were thrown out the window. I am not seeing the deals on the e350 that we found then, which made it the easy choice., which puts a F series back in the running as a platform..... but a box from supreme was about $7-$10k depending options.

CaptainBuilt

Thanks. I bought it as a unit. It was less than $31k out the door, the msrp on the chassis alone was over $32k. It was a 2016 special ordered and then buyer did not take delivery of it and sat on the lot for two years. It is a major pain to search for one, lots of time invested just scrolling through commercial Ford dealer inventories. The commercial dealers do a poor job of advertising, often just post a generic cab/chassis picture. But there were deals to be found, often times they are ordered in bulk for customers and then customer does not take delivery of all of them. At that time it was just the matter of finding one with the engine and box combo you wanted. We are currently on the hunt for another base vehicle again. All of our plans that were in motion prior to covid were thrown out the window. I am not seeing the deals on the e350 that we found then, which made it the easy choice., which puts a F series back in the running as a platform..... but a box from supreme was about $7-$10k depending options.

A F series that's already 4WD, and the 7.3 gas models (cab / chassis) are fairly priced. I'm looking at them too.

A F series that's already 4WD, and the 7.3 gas models (cab / chassis) are fairly priced. I'm looking at them too.

Definitely. The only drawback I see with the F series is the overall height. Can definitely keep an E series sub 10ft clearance, looking closer to 12ft with the F series. The lack of pass through as well, but that issue is fixable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles