E350 10ft Box Van

We had the truck inspected and re-titled as an RV in North Carolina. The new title will be issued as a Ford House Car. It was a fairly simple process and we were supposed to have the title back in three weeks, filed on Nov. 30. We learned today that since it started as an out of state title the process is going to take longer and the new title will not be issued until next month. This is an FYI for anyone looking to do the same since we found no info online about the time frame. We are currently in route to Mexico, we were going to mainland but they will not issue a truck permit to a commercial vehicle or any vehicle with a gvwr over 8600lbs. unless it is an RV. So our plans just changed and now we are headed to Baja where a permit is not needed. Oh well, we love Baja too and will be able to give the rig a thorough shakedown.✌?

eporter

Adventurer
Google “Ford House Car” and you get some interesting, old-timey results.

b3bd1e4cfc46b1e052936d81dc391495.jpg

b. rock

Not too shabby! Thanks for all the reports/info.

I've been looking at a couple of these. Since you've already had it off pavement, do you think there's any penalty for this sized box vs a high top van? The vans curve in at the top which might net a little extra clearance in spots? And definitely less wind resistance, but I'm not as worried about that part.

Not too shabby! Thanks for all the reports/info.

I've been looking at a couple of these. Since you've already had it off pavement, do you think there's any penalty for this sized box vs a high top van? The vans curve in at the top which might net a little extra clearance in spots? And definitely less wind resistance, but I'm not as worried about that part.

Yes, there is definitely a penalty versus a regular hightop. That said we squeezed it through some tight places with just a bunch of new pinstripes. All said I believe it is the best all around compromise for our wants.✌?

We decided to take our chances and see if we could get a vehicle permit for mainland Mex, figured it would only kill a day and we could continue to Baja if it didn’t work out. We crossed bridge 1 into Nuevo Laredo and the customs agents were not having it we were overweight and they turned us around to the U.S. We then tried bridge 2 and the customs agents there allowed us to get a 6 month auto permit but not the 10 year RV permit. So it worked out and still seems whoever is doing the checking whether you will get in or not. Next time it will be appropriately titled as an RV.3560E624-0737-428C-82C0-E2E60A4C856A.jpeg FWIW ✌?

b. rock

Have you had a chance to flex it out? I'm wondering how the cab/box interface does when things get flexy.

Have you had a chance to flex it out? I'm wondering how the cab/box interface does when things get flexy.

Alls good in the hood. Truck was built to explore the coasts of Baja, Mexico, and Central America in the winters and we are doing just that. Have had the opportunity to twist it up, put it in the sand and jump Mexican topes;) I will post up if we have any problems arise✌?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles